Average time for a mod to last

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylpheel

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2014
St. Louis, MO
My VTR v1 lasted 6 months. Then I bought another one and it lasted a couple of months. Times that by two as Hubby was the same. Then we bought 2 VTR v2's. His died in 3 months and I gave him my old one and bought an ipv Mini v1 in January. It is still going strong but the finish is wearing off and I am looking to upgrade again.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
i got an istick30/50 and mvp20 in the last month. If you charge each of them daily how long do you think they'll last. I know same die early/late but what should you expect, a year, 6mths?

How about something like a Knox/subox? Should that theoretically last forever as long as you buy new batteries?

6 months, a year, maybe even two years sounds like realistic expectations; depends on usage and treatment, and of course quality control.

My vamo3 lasted 3 months before the 510 centerpin gave problems; I fixed that myself and it lasted another 3 months, and it's going strong for a year since plus I got some spare vamo pcb boards in case the board or fire button goes bad;
My segelei zmax lasted a year and now the 510 centerpin problem; haven't fixed it .... yet; it's solid steel which is harder to work with than my brass vamo

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I had two Lava tubes, neither lasted more than a couple months, threads wore out on my Vamo in no time, my SVD was buggy from the day I bought it until it died. I had a Provari for over a year, never a day of trouble. Wasn't really what I was looking for so I sold it in 100% working condition. I now have six Reo's, have had them over a year, not a day of trouble, no plans to upgrade, or buy the next great thing. I found a hard working reliable mod, that's all I'll ever need. I may buy more Reo's because I "want" to, not because I "have" to.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
As hard as I am on my mods, my regulated mods seem to last six months or less. They do not take kindly to hard knocks, dropping of getting wet.

I have a couple of tube mech mods that might see me through for the rest of my life. The 510 connection being the weak link. Now my newest Reo Grands with the adjustable stainless 510 will last several lifetimes if not lost or stolen.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
For battery longevity don't over discharge. Charging a LiPo every day from 3.3-3.5ish volts to full charge will prolong the life of the battery. Sounds like that is what you are doing. To increase battery life even longer try and not fully charge the battery. Stopping at 4.1v will increase lifespan. (Difficult but not impossible with a built-in battery). Not over taxing the battery will help. Don't use low or sub ohm if possible.
Most people claim a 300 charge cycle as normal but in my experience 500+ cycles is achievable. I still have an original MVP that is going strong after 2 years (apart from the dodgy fire button) !
As for mechanical breakdown, that is largely down to quality of materials and how you treat the device.

Reactions: Sarasotared

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've had some mods last only 6 weeks and which were not covered under any warranty. I've got a mechanical Silver Bullet and Provari which are over 3 years old which I'm still using to this day, everyday.

Generally speaking, I've found that Chinese made mods tend to not last as long. After all, they are the leading manufacturers of our disposable society. Their motto might as well be, "We make cheap. You buy cheap. It broke? You buy another."

Last edited:
Reactions: Rule62

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
I've had some under mods last only 6 weeks and which were not covered under any warranty. I've got a mechanical Silver Bullet and Provari which are over 3 years old which I'm still using to this day, everyday.

Generally speaking, I've found that Chinese made mods tend to not last as long. After all, they are the leading manufacturers of our disposable society. Their motto might as well be, "We make cheap. You buy cheap. It broke? You buy another."

You can come unstuck with a decent quality one if you put it in your back pocket and then sit down.

Jorge22

ECF Veteran
I have a Lavatube from the very first batch (pre-order and all), not Volcano and why should it be as it's the same?, and it still works. I have a Young June Lavatube and it still works. I have a ss Tesla that stopped making contact. And I have a Vamo 5 that I use daily and is still going strong. I think if you treat them, I won't even say well but normally, they'll last for very long (save for the Tesla, I don't know why), probably as long as a Provari and much less expensive. I know I'm not very fashionable as none of these are box mods, lol.

Now, if you buy a box mod with built-in batteries, it will last as long as the batteries last, sorry to say. You can always try to fix that, of course.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Exactly. And I like it. I have only Chinese stuff.
However I am still waiting for something to break. Yes, in the beginning I dropped my Vamo, Vamo survived but iClear 16 not. So far in 1 year of vaping only one thing was broken, and it was broken by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread