Avocado. Is it really good? But why are there so little reviews for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Oh I don't know, I've been using gennies for near on 3 years now, and when it comes to Grimm I wouldn't expect a decent review since he hates mesh because he can't roll a wick to save his life. Mesh is all I use and I've always been very happy with it. I don't know much about the Avocado, all I use are DID's and Krakens. I'm so happy with those I've no interest in anything else. If it doesn't use mesh I've no use for it.

Reactions: Innova

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
It appears that you can use any wicking that you want, in the Avocado. Single or dual coil, with chamber reducer on the deck. Mine is still in transit.

The Avocado hasn't been out that long. Not a vertical coil, like a traditional genny. But you can use a mesh u-wick. I think people are putting it more into the rta category--couple threads in that subsection of the forum.

I would maybe snag a Nectar clone, or BF99 clone, if i were you. I have my Nectar clone. Air flow is neat, because air-holes are underneath the horizontal coil. I built mine with mesh. Picking out hot legs was a chore. Made a coil on 2.5mm coil jig. Fired it up once. Made a u-wick about 25mm in width, little less than 40mm long. Found that i had to jiggy the 'shoulders' of the u-wick to get rid of hot leg.

But once i got it sorted--boy HOWDY. Really nice vape.

Horizontal coiling definitely has potential--using mesh as a wick!!

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
The Avocado IS really good, IMO. I'm not a mesh user so I can't comment on that but I have read posts here and there on FB and various forums that, as GrowthCurve posted, you can use a mesh u-wick in it. The flavor and vapor production are both excellent and it's a sub $30 atty. What's not to like?

ETA: It works just as well in single or dual coil mode. The included single coil adapter (a little ceramic plug that blocks off the second set of wick holes and acts as a chamber reducer) works perfectly.

Danneh

Mar 21, 2016
I love mine! Got a single fused clapton in it at the mo, 5.5 wraps, 2x0.5mm kanthal wrapped with 0.16mm SS316L, looks and vapes beautifully on my wismec skyladon. I've only wicked with cotton, but I've tried a few methods and settled on wicking it like a dripper, or the aromamizer, partially to speed up the juice flow, partially because it doesn't require the tank to be disassembled to rewick. I cut the wicks short enough that the tails just sit on the base, but don't choke the juice holes (so air can get in), and basically use it like a dripper with a tank underneath that's fed by tilting it. I've had zero leaks (besides using it like a dripper and overdripping), and excellent flavour. It's very versatile too, though I'd say it's closer to an RTA or RDA than a genesis tank.

Reactions: meekaah

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
I love mine! Got a single fused clapton in it at the mo, 5.5 wraps, 2x0.5mm kanthal wrapped with 0.16mm SS316L, looks and vapes beautifully on my wismec skyladon. I've only wicked with cotton, but I've tried a few methods and settled on wicking it like a dripper, or the aromamizer, partially to speed up the juice flow, partially because it doesn't require the tank to be disassembled to rewick. I cut the wicks short enough that the tails just sit on the base, but don't choke the juice holes (so air can get in), and basically use it like a dripper with a tank underneath that's fed by tilting it. I've had zero leaks (besides using it like a dripper and overdripping), and excellent flavour. It's very versatile too, though I'd say it's closer to an RTA or RDA than a genesis tank.

Awesome idea! I just picked one up yesterday & was thinking of doing the same to conserve juice because it is a guzzler. I DIY so I don't really care about consumption but while traveling it would be nice to conserve a little so I don't always have to stop & fill. Next time I rewick it I'll run the tails nice & short next time. I'm running a horizontal twisted single coil SS build on mine & flavor is fantastic.

kformeck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2015
I will say that the avocado IS NOT really a genny but it is a fantastic RTA. Flavor is just outstanding with a 26g 1 ohm single coil using the chamber reducer. @jhhollier is correct, it does seem to guzzle juice. I wouldn't expect to be able to drain 3mL in a few hours with a 1 ohm single coil running at 16 watts but it goes though juice considerably faster than any of my mesh attys.

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
I rewicked mine so that the tails are just past the deck a few mm's. The taste is less in your face but the juice consumption may be slightly less. I have a haze clone as well & it also guzzles juice. I winder why that is with this type of design? Seems no different than dripping from a technical stand point so the only thing I can think of is that the wick never gets a chance to dry. That is probably the number 1 reason why the flavor is so in your face. With dripping you can pull a few hits until the cotton starts to dry a little & then re-drip. With all of that being said I think the flavor is better than dripping, again probably due to the wicks staying in eliquid the entire time. I'm going to go through this tank & a few others before I settle on anything concrete but if it's a choice between intense flavor & conservation I'm going with intense flavor. I can always make more juice!

Reactions: jhhollier

kformeck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2015
My wick tails never hang lower than half the depth of the tank. Tilting the device will saturate those wicks; if the wicks are too long, you'll be holding juice in the ends of the wicks which will never make it to the coil and will never being vaped. Less is definitely more here. I also cut my wicks at angle so the ends of the tails come to point; the thickest part of the wick is inside the coil and then it gets narrower from there.

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
Mine is pretty inconsistent, resistance fluctuations and sometimes it just gives atomizer short and or no atomizer, then fire again it will work fine.

Taken it apart multiple times and tightened the center pin screw, no bueno.

Meh, mine did that to me earlier today as well in temp control on my RX200 but since it's done that before with different tanks I blame it on the (not so) stellar performance of the RX200 & not the atomizer. On mine I've noticed it if I hit temp protect a few times in a row then it seems like the RX doesn't recognize the atty for a brief second or so.

kformeck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2015
Mine is pretty inconsistent, resistance fluctuations and sometimes it just gives atomizer short and or no atomizer, then fire again it will work fine.

Taken it apart multiple times and tightened the center pin screw, no bueno.

I had the same thing happen on my first build. After taking it apart and putting it back together, I haven't had the issue since. You wanna make sure that the positive post is very tightly threaded on by the center pin. Then make sure the nut that fastens down on top of the center pin is tight as well.

Reactions: fishwater

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
I had the same thing happen on my first build. After taking it apart and putting it back together, I haven't had the issue since. You wanna make sure that the positive post is very tightly threaded on by the center pin. Then make sure the nut that fastens down on top of the center pin is tight as well.

I forgot to mention that when I got mine I stripped it down completely before I ran it in my UC. Too many nooks & crannies for oil to hide so I figured better safe than sorry.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013

I forgot to mention that when I got mine I stripped it down completely before I ran it in my UC. Too many nooks & crannies for oil to hide so I figured better safe than sorry.

I can assure you, if I tighten them any more, they will strip.

kformeck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2015
I can assure you, if I tighten them any more, they will strip.
I would try to contact Geek Vape then; there's no reason why the resistance should be jumping around on you. I've had this problem on a few other atomizers and have always fixed by tightening something as it usually has something to do with a loose positive connection. If you cannot get it stable then something must be off.

Reactions: fishwater

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
Haven't had any resistance issues with mine, thankfully. I've been vaping this thing pretty much non-stop the past few days. It made me curious about the Izi but then I thought "Why spend well over $100 when I have this atty that is vaping beautifully and cost me a fraction of that?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread