Status
Not open for further replies.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Interesting stuff. I know the idea of asking my doctor to prescribe an inhaler never even occurred to me but the minute I saw my first pic of someone vaping I thought that might be the thing that could get me off smoking. It's a very small sample but, hopefully, it will lead to larger ones that get the same result (replicating results = "proof.")

I wish they hadn't asked about "coolness." It's the type of thing the antis will seize on and say "See. They're marketing to children!"

witch1

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Huntsville AL USA
I have my own opinion about that......that isn't what they focus on. Its the vendors that use cartoon characters, names that appeal to kids, mods that are made out of toys, and drip tips that look like toys are what they will seize on. We as vapers absolutely should raise ten kinds of heck about those incredibly irresponsible vendors, seriously. I always and would NEVER own one nor use one.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I agree. That's like saying Joe Camel isn't designed to appeal to kids. They are the ones trying to appeal to teens. And it's reprehensible both because teens shouldn't be encouraged to vape (unless they are hooked on cigarettes) and because the endanger the future of the entire industry.

But a lot of the legislators who try to pass anti-vaping legislation and the wackos that egg them on insist that offering e-liquid in any flavor other than tobacco is an attempt to appeal to kids. (In 5 years I've never vaped a tobacco flavor.) And I have read some interviews with antis who say kids who don't smoke will take up vaping because it is "cool."

The obvious answer is that legislation should make it illegal for anyone under 21 (or 18 or whatever) to buy vaping equipment. Those laws don't work for cigarettes or liquor and they probably will only be minimally effective in preventing minors who want to from vaping. Be adults who vape responsibly shouldn't be penalized for ineffective legislation.

My point was that it doesn't matter whether the coolness factor is a lure or not. What matter is if the study unnecessarily gives the antis an additional weapon. Nevertheless, there is some very interesting info in that study so, on the whole it is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread