Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Do you mean can it fire under water or will it survive submersion?

A tank definitely could survive submersion. A mechanical mod could as well though the battery might not. With a VV mod it becomes less clear

Let’s “just pretend” you dropped your device in the toilet:
1. You would not be the first
2. There’s a decent chance your device survived the ordeal.

You understandably may want to wash the tank thoroughly, and replace the wick/coil cartridge.

If the whole device went in and it’s VV, I personally would treat it like a phone that went into a toilet:

Remove the batteries, wipe/wash carefully, and put it in a bag of dry uncooked rice for a few days

Reactions: Letitia

Jordan McGregor

Oct 7, 2017
Can a sub-ohm tank be submerged completely under water, even toilet water, for long periods of time or at all and still work?

A tank definitely could survive submersion. A mechanical mod could as well though the battery might not. With a VV mod it becomes less clear

You understandably may want to wash the tank thoroughly, and replace the wick/coil cartridge.

If the whole device went in and it’s VV, I personally would treat it like a phone that went into a toilet:

Remove the batteries, wipe/wash carefully, and put it in a bag of dry uncooked rice for a few days
well of course I don't want to vape toilet water, it's just while at work, my youngin' took my favorite tfv8 baby sub ohm tank and put it in the toilet, I guess my wife didn't catch this in time. Great. It wasn't until a couple of hours later I can back to find it all like this.

Jordan McGregor

Oct 7, 2017
<---- Heed my expert advice, "don't vape toilet water"
Lol of course I wouldn't vape toilet
well of course I don't want to vape toilet water, it's just while at work, my youngin' took my favorite tfv8 baby sub ohm tank and put it in the toilet, I guess my wife didn't catch this in time. Great. It wasn't until a couple of hours later I can back to find it all like this.
let's just hope he didn't drop it in there hard enough to mess up the 510 pin even though I couldn't imagine it being that easy

Jordan McGregor

Oct 7, 2017

Well what had happened was my youngest while I was at work took my favorite tfv8 baby while it was drying on the counter and dropped it in the toilet. Evidently, my wife, who stayed home to watch him, didn't catch this in time as she was in another room. Great. Hopefully he didn't drop it in there hard enough to mess up the 510 pin on it even though I couldn't imagine it being that easy.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If it’s just the tank you should be ok. I’d definitely replace the coil though. And probably take it apart and clean it.

Jordan McGregor

Oct 7, 2017
If it’s just the tank you should be ok. I’d definitely replace the coil though. And probably take it apart and clean it.
Because the whole thing was completely together when he tossed it in there, what about the part where the coil screws in at the top and the 510 pin on the bottom, what smok calls this piece the "base" does that get the same treatment as well? Just as long as I don't do something stupid like put it on my mod while still wet I ain't gotta worry?

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Because the whole thing was completely together when he tossed it in there, what about the part where the coil screws in at the top and the 510 pin on the bottom, what smok calls this piece the "base" does that get the same treatment as well? Just as long as I don't do something stupid like put it on my mod while still wet I ain't gotta worry?

Yes, you can clean all parts as long as everything is dry when it goes back on the mod.

Oh, if it tastes like crap when you give it a try, clean it again. :D

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Take them apart and soak in warm soapy water for a half hour. Then rinse with warm water and set the pieces on a paper towel after wiping them to dry overnight.

Considering your circumstance you might want to use rubbing alcohol before soaking or use vodka on them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread