AWT 75A 4500mAh 26650 Bench Test Results...only a 10A battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-25A constant current. This cell was purchased by me and used only for testing. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

These are safety-oriented tests, not for performance. Though you can get a lot of performance information from them they are primarily done to check the manufacturer's/rewrapper's ratings and to establish safe continuous discharge limits.

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, when compared to its ratings, this is the worst battery I have ever tested. This is a 10A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell with extremely low capacity for its rating. I recommend not using it above 15A as it gets badly damaged at 20A. I have not included a pulsed discharge because its performance would have been terrible.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Comments
    • I couldn't find definitive continuous/pulse ratings for this cell anywhere but the places that do list ratings most often show them as 30A continuous and 75A pulse. The cell wrap only says 75A though.
    • At 10A the cell reached about 3350mAh. This is truly terrible performance for a 4500mAh-rated cell at 10A. I am giving this cell a capacity rating of 3600mAh...at best.
    • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 71°C. This is only a few degrees below the average for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 84°C. This is too high for a cell operating at its CDR. There are signs of additional voltage sag indicating that the cell is being discharged at beyond its rating.
    • At 20A down to 3.2V its capacity, about 900mAh, is about 30% less than the 18650 Samsung 25R!
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 98°C. This is near my safety limit of 100°C and clearly shows that this is not at 30A cell. This cell only reached about 200mAh (yes, 200mAh) at 25A down to 3.2V.
    • A discharge at 30A was not done as it would have immediately plunged the voltage down to the 2.80V cutoff.
    • Three additional cycles at 20A clearly showed signs of damage to the cell. I did not continue with the two additional cycles at the CDR, five total, that I usually do. The damage was already pretty severe. This isn't even a 20A cell and in my opinion some damage would still occur at 15A.
    • I am setting a CDR of 10A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would hope for good cycle life from this cell at 10A. Its performance was so bad though I can't say for sure.
    • My usual pulsed-current discharge at the rated current level was not done due to the very poor performance of this cell.
    • The AWT 60A 3800mA 26650 tested about as badly, only performing decently up to 7A: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/AWT IMR26650 3800mAh (Yellow) UK.html
    • The top contact metal was the thinnest I've seen and bent inwards when the cell was mounted in my test rig with the 1/4" copper rod contact. I had to move it to the other rig with the 1/2" contact in order to spread out the pressure. This is the first cell I've ever had to do this with.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/

Last edited:

hypocritelecteur

Jun 23, 2015
    Mooch. Do you know how to file a consumer protection complaint with your state AG?
    If not, and with your blessing, I'd like to collect a critical mass of these reports and submit them with the help of forum members to every state AG in the country. It's very easy to file a motion like this. And I've learned recently it yield quick results. With the number of exploding battery horrorshows in the news lately, we should develop a list of the worst offenders, compile their claims vs real world test results, and include a broad sampling of the aftermath of a battery explosion. A company rating a battery this bad with those numbers is going to get someone killed. An easy to digest packet that shows what could happen even if you practice battery safety but trust the rewrapper ratings.

Would not take much time to put a packet together, and we'd just need to find a person in every state to file the complaint. After these complaints have a month or so to gestate and receive case identification numbers someone then brings it to the federal level with 52 state level AG complaints on file to reference.

This is an effective way to bring close scrutiny to battery regulations. Batteries are in -everything- these days and it is a critical public safety issue that is easy to solve. Impose some standards for the labeling of cells sold in America.

Take a few months to generate some more data and then a few months more waiting, but this stuff is not hard to do if you go about it systematically.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Mooch. Do you know how to file a consumer protection complaint with your state AG?
    If not, and with your blessing, I'd like to collect a critical mass of these reports and submit them with the help of forum members to every state AG in the country. It's very easy to file a motion like this. And I've learned recently it yield quick results. With the number of exploding battery horrorshows in the news lately, we should develop a list of the worst offenders, compile their claims vs real world test results, and include a broad sampling of the aftermath of a battery explosion. A company rating a battery this bad with those numbers is going to get someone killed. An easy to digest packet that shows what could happen even if you practice battery safety but trust the rewrapper ratings.

Would not take much time to put a packet together, and we'd just need to find a person in every state to file the complaint. After these complaints have a month or so to gestate and receive case identification numbers someone then brings it to the federal level with 52 state level AG complaints on file to reference.

This is an effective way to bring close scrutiny to battery regulations. Batteries are in -everything- these days and it is a critical public safety issue that is easy to solve. Impose some standards for the labeling of cells sold in America.

Take a few months to generate some more data and then a few months more waiting, but this stuff is not hard to do if you go about it systematically.

I hadn't considered this before but do have a couple of quick thoughts...
    • I think any manufacturer will just say that the 75A rating is pulse and they'll pick a crazy short pulse time and low battery voltage to "prove" their rating.
    • With these companies being in China, I don't know how long it could take to get them to change anything.
    • As soon as we file something, they'll probably just take the same cell and put a new wrap on it, forcing us to start over.
    I hate to sound so pessimistic, it's a damn good idea. I just don't know if we can make a difference with these companies that practically release a new battery every month. It's something to seriously consider though.

hypocritelecteur

Jun 23, 2015
    Well the idea would be to impose standards on the labels, not stopping sales.
    As soon as someone says "Oh, that 75 is pulse" the AG will realize that a distinction must be visibly made between pulse and CD. Some do, some don't, there are just no rules or standards and it's really dangerous,

hypocritelecteur

Jun 23, 2015
    Man, I read that FT thread. I guess people over there thought the intention of these tests was to the vaping suitability of particular cells? I thought it was clear that they were being graded solely against their own self proclaimed specs... it might need clarification. At least, that's how I've been reading them.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Eric Auer

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Man, I read that FT thread. I guess people over there thought the intention of these tests was to the vaping suitability of particular cells? I thought it was clear that they were being graded solely against their own self proclaimed specs... it might need clarification. At least, that's how I've been reading them.

Yea, that was an interesting thread. :rolleyes:
    I have changed a lot of wording in the descriptions for the table, the grades, etc. I have emphasized the safety aspect for now but will be tweaking the text a bit to make clearer that it's also a source of info regarding how a cell performs vs the manufacturer's ratings. I really don't want to split that info out into two tables.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread