lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
hey all.
only tried winding some coils three times so far. last attempt is definitely the most successful. was going for a dual coil setup that'd measure 0.5ohms. got close...one of these is 1.0 and the other 1.1...more practise is required.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
This is why I went with single coil attys for TC. Getting the coils sufficiently even is really hard.
agreed. i plan on using just one coil for the majority of the time (all my current RTA support it) but also want to get my winding more precise.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
That's still looking pretty good, Lupinehorror :) Your coils are much prettier than mine. A single build does seem to be easier than a dual build to start (to me) but congrats! That's really great. :)

Anna
cheers. i can honestly say that nothing i've ever created has been described as pretty!
i am enjoying learning. have bought a cheap RDA (a clone of something or other) for home use and to try some different coils...that probably means another mod...further down the rabbit hole we go...

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
cheers. i can honestly say that nothing i've ever created has been described as pretty!
i am enjoying learning. have bought a cheap RDA (a clone of something or other) for home use and to try some different coils...that probably means another mod...further down the rabbit hole we go...
on a side note...you have a tesla nano, right? recommended? want something quite beefy but not another alien. ta.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I love my Tesla Nano 120, yes. It's a great mod, kind of heavy but I like that. It fits well in the hand, though. I've dropped it a lot less than my other mods. Also, it's my daily driver and just a workhorse. I have the copper one and a gunmetal one stashed away for if ever something goes wrong with it, LOL. From my brief forays into TC, it does it pretty well. The vape is smoooooth and consistent, it's actually somewhat overpowered compared to some of my other mods, I don't know how the chip does it but I was turning down all my wattages. It does read my ohms on the high side, but consistently (like .1 or .2 higher) that may have something to do with it.

The only thing that isn't great is the battery door, but I got a silicone sleeve for it on Amazon, and that keeps my batteries safe and snug. Other folks have put a tiny piece of electrical tape or even clear tape on the bottom to secure it-- it's a latch, and the batteries are really easy to get in and out, but it does have the tendency to unlatch every once in a while-- after it regurgitated my batteries into my (open) coffee cup while I was driving, I decided to get the sleeve, LOL. Got it on Amazon cheaply.... It's an exact copy of the design in black so it still (sort of) looks like a steampunk, and I like the added protection for any drops, so it's not really a con for me anymore, but it is something to be aware of.... :)

Anna

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
I love my Tesla Nano 120, yes. It's a great mod, kind of heavy but I like that. It fits well in the hand, though. I've dropped it a lot less than my other mods. Also, it's my daily driver and just a workhorse. I have the copper one and a gunmetal one stashed away for if ever something goes wrong with it, LOL. From my brief forays into TC, it does it pretty well. The vape is smoooooth and consistent, it's actually somewhat overpowered compared to some of my other mods, I don't know how the chip does it but I was turning down all my wattages. It does read my ohms on the high side, but consistently (like .1 or .2 higher) that may have something to do with it.

The only thing that isn't great is the battery door, but I got a silicone sleeve for it on Amazon, and that keeps my batteries safe and snug. Other folks have put a tiny piece of electrical tape or even clear tape on the bottom to secure it-- it's a latch, and the batteries are really easy to get in and out, but it does have the tendency to unlatch every once in a while-- after it regurgitated my batteries into my (open) coffee cup while I was driving, I decided to get the sleeve, LOL. Got it on Amazon cheaply.... It's an exact copy of the design in black so it still (sort of) looks like a steampunk, and I like the added protection for any drops, so it's not really a con for me anymore, but it is something to be aware of.... :)

Anna
cheers Anna. thanks for taking the time to write in such detail. a tesla nano 120W might just have been bought. one has been bought in fact. silver model. duly noted re: the battery cover. got a new RTA and an RDA coming this weekend. there will be much experimenting.
in other news i didn't expect to win the fleabay auction for that oscilloscope...

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
@lupinehorror - I second Anna's opinion on the Steampunk. I have several - the copper, two brass (I think I will probably sell the unopened one,) and a gunmetal. They are beautiful mods and perform very well. I put away my last unboxed Alien when I picked up my first Steampunk (brass.) The copper is my favorite - a real beauty. As for the battery door, I have had no problems with mine opening when there are batteries in the compartment. The door will fall open easily if there are no batteries in the mod. I got the silicone case too but this thing is too pretty to cover up. I have not been terribly successful with TC on any mod I own, so can't really speak to that. I will say I tried out a coil I made with 430 SL wire in an OBS Engine Nano and using the Steampunk's TCR mode, the recommended TCR value of 136 (if I recall correctly) was way too low. I had to move it much higher to get a good vape. It could have been bad wire, but I purchased it from AVS and they are quite reputable.

Oh, also, I tend to turn the wattage down on the Steampunk too, so it must be the mod. The batteries really last well.

Enjoy!

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
@lupinehorror - I second Anna's opinion on the Steampunk. I have several - the copper, two brass (I think I will probably sell the unopened one,) and a gunmetal. They are beautiful mods and perform very well. I put away my last unboxed Alien when I picked up my first Steampunk (brass.) The copper is my favorite - a real beauty. As for the battery door, I have had no problems with mine opening when there are batteries in the compartment. The door will fall open easily if there are no batteries in the mod. I got the silicone case too but this thing is too pretty to cover up. I have not been terribly successful with TC on any mod I own, so can't really speak to that. I will say I tried out a coil I made with 430 SL wire in an OBS Engine Nano and using the Steampunk's TCR mode, the recommended TCR value of 136 (if I recall correctly) was way too low. I had to move it much higher to get a good vape. It could have been bad wire, but I purchased it from AVS and they are quite reputable.

Oh, also, I tend to turn the wattage down on the Steampunk too, so it must be the mod. The batteries really last well.

Enjoy!
thanks for the extra info. sweaty paws will be all over it the day after tomorrow...picked up another pair of 18650s too. at this rate i'll need to get another nitecore charger!
the alien will remain out but will probably reside at home for a while.
i've never actually tried TC mode on any of my mods. the steampunk looks like it has a couple of interesting settings that i've not seen before. was going to download the manual for it but there doesn't seem to be one available on their site.
a thread will no doubt be started soon...

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
thanks for the extra info. sweaty paws will be all over it the day after tomorrow...picked up another pair of 18650s too. at this rate i'll need to get another nitecore charger!
the alien will remain out but will probably reside at home for a while.
i've never actually tried TC mode on any of my mods. the steampunk looks like it has a couple of interesting settings that i've not seen before. was going to download the manual for it but there doesn't seem to be one available on their site.
a thread will no doubt be started soon...

I always lose manuals so usually save one to my computer just in case but I can't find one online either. Odd. You will probably get more info from watching a good youtube review.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
I always lose manuals so usually save one to my computer just in case but I can't find one online either. Odd. You will probably get more info from watching a good youtube review.
have emailed them to see if there's a pdf version available. if there is i'll get a copy to you.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
have emailed them to see if there's a pdf version available. if there is i'll get a copy to you.

Thank you. That is so sweet of you. If they don't have one, I can scan one of mine in and post it for you. Let me know what they say.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
Mine came with a manual but I'm afraid I don't find them supremely helpful anyway. I do far better watching a review/tutorial. Good luck with your steampunk, I hope you enjoy it lupinehorror!

Anna
oh i'm sure i will! might also have bought some kanthal juggernaut wire...here be monsters...

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread