Status
Not open for further replies.

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
That is completely false. The Origen v2 has dedicated wicking holes for cotton, thus it is in fact meant for cotton as well as mesh.

It's more of the fact that you have to tilt it for it to wick correctly, which I'm not a fan of.
Don't you tilt your device to vape anyway? Lol..... Just kidding. I just received my dual coil rsst yesterday and can't wait to play with it today. I'll be using cotton as well.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Corey

I seem to have come across the wrong way.
First, I specified that I was speaking of attys that were made for mesh.

Secondly, if you like cotton, go for it, as others here have already said.

Third, I have gone through the whole cant get mesh to work better cotton thing. Stayed like that for more than a year, then tried again and got it right.
So you see, I am trying to help, not pick at you. I wish that it hadnt seemed otherwise.

From my side, I am just trying to help someone that appears to be in the same spot that I once was. I shall no longer do so, as I don't want any sort of conflict like this.

So apologies.

Sedition

A genny can be built to perform without tilting. It just takes finding the right wick and series of gauge that works for you :)

Redacted

I apologize if this came off a s a "conflict"; that was not my intent. I was simply stating my opinion on the matter.

Personally, mesh wicks fine for me if I have it at a slight tilt; however, if it's too much or too little on the tilt, it doesn't work nearly as well for me. When I'm at work, I don't pay attention to the angle I'm holding it at, which can cause slight problems. Also, I just feel like there is very little difference in flavor; the only thing I notice is that sometimes mesh gives me more throat hit sometimes.

Maybe it's the routine, but I love wicking with cotton. The sizing it up, making it round, pulling it through, trimming it; it's all a part of the hobby I enjoy. For some reason I just don't get excited about rolling up a piece of mesh, torching it, etc.

I may try stainless steel cable again though. I want to get some ekowool to act as a top cover for it though; mesh wasn't the greatest for that (no hotspots or anything, but it just boiled the juice a little too often for my taste if I didn't have it tilted correctly)

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I hadn't touched mesh in over a year. By chance I decided to mess around with it again. I couldn't be happier. It just vapes just as well as cotton but it is more permanent of a wick. I had never really tried hollow wicks before and I think it is making a huge difference. When I was using gennies everyone was using solid wicks. But the hollow wicks seem to wick a lot better than the solid wicks. Also the hollow wicks don't have nearly as much heat sink effect as solid wicks.

BTW I drilled out the 2.4mm hole on the Origen V2 to 2.8mm. It now vapes exactly like my drippers. I drilled out the second hole that is 2mm to 2.4mm....that way I can go back and vape the Origen v2 like before as well. It is a great atty.

Reactions: WattWick

Jman28546

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Jacksonville, nc, usa
You guys and your origen v2s...its definately one of the better gennies...the sat22 nahualon and rocket r are superior..i dont so much care for the in'ax...order a steamboy stormrider 2.3 they are very reasonably priced for a high end device..just order one dont even second guess it....then tell me if you still prefer that origenny. STEAMBOY Custom made rebuildable atomizers and mods

Last edited:

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
All is cool Corey

Happy to hear that you enjoy it

I hope this isnt irritating, but I promise this - you shouldnt have to tilt mesh.

I always check to make sure my wick saturates quickly before I do my final setup. When I put the wick in the tank, if it doesnt wick fast enough, I roll another. Sometimes it take three or for wicks. Sometimes its the first time. My best wicks will saturate in less than 3 seconds :)
Cotton works great too - but for me its like silica(not as bad though)
I can taste the cotton :( thats why I get downright evangelical over mesh. Prolly comes across overbearing, but I mean well
Redacted

Last edited:

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Tough to give measurements, as the size of the mesh needed will vary based on the atty. (Taller or shorter, wick hole size etc) Which gennie are you using?

As far as tools etc, the only thing I use is a 18 awg leur lock needle.

I cut the square (or rectangle) of mesh, fold over the edge that will end up being the outer edge touching the coil about 3 or 4 mm (makes it easier to thread it through the coil as I wind and mount my coil first before installing the wick and I like to think it helps with shorts during pulsing), then place the needle along the other edge of the mesh. I fold it over the needle a bit and then start rolling it as tightly as I can. After it's all rolled up, I thread it through the coil and let it unroll to fill the coil and wick hole. This leaves a relatively loosely rolled straw-like wick.

I don't torch or burn the mesh (other than a light one after rolling to remove finger oils), just pulse it after it's mounted, fill and you're ready to go.

Reactions: Thrasher

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Just broke down and bought a Prometheus clone today since I've been missing my Z-Atty Pro so much. Dual coil and wicked, 8-wrap, 24AWG Sleeper setup. Ahhhh, the fireball cinnamon candy juice - 60/40 on 400-grade SS Mesh. Talk about FLAVOR! It's clean, crisp, and hotter than a barrel of fire. Spits more fire than Dylon too. Jacked it up on my mech, too much power. 3.7V is overkill on this build. Didn't torch the wicks, let the coils oxidize the wicks naturally, and ONLY half the wicks will be covered in carbon. I found on my old genesis style tank, oxidizing the entire wick led to a rapid and unreliable deterioration (break-down) of the stainless mesh after a few changes - plus got an odd burnt metal taste a lot too.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Tough to give measurements, as the size of the mesh needed will vary based on the atty. (Taller or shorter, wick hole size etc) Which gennie are you using?

As far as tools etc, the only thing I use is a 18 awg leur lock needle.

I cut the square (or rectangle) of mesh, fold over the edge that will end up being the outer edge touching the coil about 3 or 4 mm (makes it easier to thread it through the coil as I wind and mount my coil first before installing the wick and I like to think it helps with shorts during pulsing), then place the needle along the other edge of the mesh. I fold it over the needle a bit and then start rolling it as tightly as I can. After it's all rolled up, I thread it through the coil and let it unroll to fill the coil and wick hole. This leaves a relatively loosely rolled straw-like wick.

I don't torch or burn the mesh (other than a light one after rolling to remove finger oils), just pulse it after it's mounted, fill and you're ready to go.

I could have almost wrote the exact same post for setup..

As for why your performance is better while tricker to set up. Each wick is getting 1/2 the wattage and by doing so you get less of a heatsink drying out the wicks. In effect they are running slightly cooler, allowing them to stay wetter, thus more vapor.

i have sat and endlessly stared at wicks firing and one thing I noticed is with a straw wick not only is vapor coming off the surface but its shooting out of the tube top as well. And i theorize yhat it is picking up extra flavor as it travels, sort of how the cartos work, So now your adding this flavor dense stream to the vapor coming off the wick surface for even more taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread