Back to vaping after a slip; Have questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nxvn

Dec 16, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Greetings fine folks,

Just wanted to step in and say hello. I just got back into the vape thing after a long step backwards to analogs.

To make a long story short; I had smoked analogs for about 35 years. I did the e-cig thing for around a year about 5+ years ago (Blu - before “cig-a-like" were readily available in local stores) but eventually slipped. About a month ago; I started on local store bought Logic brand e-cigs and to their credit; they did get me on track again.

Now obviously things have changed quite a bit since I first got into the e-cig thing; so now the questions come. Be gentle please. I am versed in electronics and understand Ohms Law and whatnot, so that doesn’t need an explanation.

I recently upgraded to a Halo Triton II pen set and have settled into Mystic juice for my menthol selection. I have been pretty happy with it thus far. Granted, I thought Mystic was very sweet/strong when I first tried it, but I have since gotten used to it.

For the second tank/battery that came with the kit; I wanted to go with a straight up tobacco like flavor. I picked up a bottle of Tribeca (because of it's glowing reviews) and I will just say it, Sorry - I am certainly not a fan. That is NOT "with just a touch of vanilla and caramel"; I threw out the coil and that tank just went through an alcohol and ultrasonic bath to get rid of that! Now that the bottle is open; will that mellow out after it ages for a bit? Or should I just give it away to someone for Christmas? :p

This next question is a little harder to describe. Most of the store bought “cig-a-like” have a typical background flavor that I actually enjoy (Mystic has it also depending how you hit it). Kind of a very low-key toast/honey type of aftertaste. What am I chasing there?

I have been thinking about picking up a small mod; something more flexible like the Reactor Mini so I can "dial in" a combination that works better for me. Unfortunately Mystic doesn’t seem to have in a high VG version; but obviously I can do PG friendly coils/settings for that; or find some brand of VG juice with a mellow menthol flavor. Thoughts?

Sorry about all the noob'ish questions; and I hope you all have a great holiday.

Sincerely,
Neil

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
Hi, and welcome back. As you've discovered, vaping has come a long way. (and after a Blu, Logic was my choice for a month until I got a Triton.)

I can't answer to all, but...

1. I'm not a Tribeca fan. As you said, it's heavy flavored, and I get little to no tobacco. If you want tobacco, get some Torque.
As what to do with the rest of Tribeca? If someone else likes it, then give it away. But maybe you might think Torque is too raw, and might be nicely mellowed by a bit of Tribeca added. I have a few flavors I didn't like straight, but make great additives. (Kringles, Sub Zero come to mind.)

3. I'm all about dialing in. I like it mellow, usually at 11 watts. I'd be real unhappy at 9 or 15. And different tanks, cooils, juices need different power. Yes, get something adjustable and flexible. Just know that your next mod won't be the last mod you buy.

All the best to you.

nxvn

Dec 16, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Hi, and welcome back. As you've discovered, vaping has come a long way. (and after a Blu, Logic was my choice for a month until I got a Triton.)

I can't answer to all, but...

1. I'm not a Tribeca fan. As you said, it's heavy flavored, and I get little to no tobacco. If you want tobacco, get some Torque.
As what to do with the rest of Tribeca? If someone else likes it, then give it away. But maybe you might think Torque is too raw, and might be nicely mellowed by a bit of Tribeca added. I have a few flavors I didn't like straight, but make great additives. (Kringles, Sub Zero come to mind.)

3. I'm all about dialing in. I like it mellow, usually at 11 watts. I'd be real unhappy at 9 or 15. And different tanks, cooils, juices need different power. Yes, get something adjustable and flexible. Just know that your next mod won't be the last mod you buy.

All the best to you.

Dave,

Many thanks for the input.

Good point on using the Tribeca as a mixer; I think I will keep that on the back shelf for a while (Actually it’s in the kitchen pantry until I can get that “straight up” taste out of my head). I try not to judge because taste is so subjective. But Halo; I feel that needs to be put into the “Dessert” category (Just my humble opinion). :)

I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a small mod (Reactor Mini). I really want to have the flexibility to play a little. I jumped on the eGO style pens quickly because I didn’t want to “fall off the wagon” again and I can always keep them around as backups. I never plan to start “cloud chasing” and all that; so I am thinking the mini or shorty should do me fine for now.

I am notorious for running down rabbit holes; leaving a trail of misfit devices and broken toys in my wake. Taking this slow and trying to prevent that. :)

Be Well,

Neil

Last edited:

nxvn

Dec 16, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Check around in your area for some shops where you find someone decent who is willing to share some knowledge and has a tasting bar (that is one thing I love about a local place)

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Falco,

Good call on the vape shop idea.

Yep; there is indeed a vape shop about 30m down the street. I plan on paying a visit now. They seem pretty active; have a tasting bar, a lounge, throw parties and cloud comps (the later not my thing). If the weather is looking good I think I will head over there on Sunday.

Many Thanks,

Neil

hamburglar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2015
New Bern, NC
I think that Johnson's Creek used to supply Blu with their juice. If you likes those flavors you may be able to find something you like from them. I started with Blu also. Their classic tobacco was pretty decent. The newer one is not as good to me.

Dave had a good recommendation on Halo Torque. That is a good straight tobacco in my opinion. This is a wild card.... but I happen to like the Halo HX3. Its in the clearance section of the Halo sight also. HX3 on a Triton is good stuff to me.

When I started with Halo I got a couple of their sample packs. That is a great way to try a lot of their different juice. To this day I have never purchased a "tobacco" flavor from any other company.

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx
Tribeca is an RY4, and widely considered one of the best in the industry. So you are correct in that it is not a "true" tobacco flavor. In general, juices taste more like real tobacco blends smell, if that makes any sense. And Tribecca is the classic vanilla custard you would find in most shops.

For a closer tobacco taste that you might be used too when smoking, I would advise Torque, Freedom, Black Calico, or Cordoba if you want something a little harder.

nxvn

Dec 16, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Huge thanks for all the input folks!

I think I have been fighting a couple fronts with the liquid. I started out pretty high on the nicotine as I wanted the body to "know where it was coming from"; in an attempt to disassociate it from the cigarettes. From what I understand that can give some flavors a pretty nasty bite (menthol seems to mask that pretty good). That and I don't think I was prepared how sweet some of these seem at first; maybe just a bit of shock being a recent ex-smoker.

Unfortunately the vape shop down the street from me has absolutely no traditional tobacco flavors, not even a straight menthol. Go figure *shrug*. Ironically, I did pick up a bottle of Uncle Junk's JW while I was there, which is very similar to Tribeca but perhaps not as sweet; and now the Tribeca is starting to grow on me. Groan.

With all that said; I have since bought a Reactor Mini (with a bottle of Prime 15 - Jury is still out on that). And while I have only been futzing around with it for a day; I think I may have found what I needed - Temperature Control! Now I need to go back and re-evaluate all my liquids because everything just changed. :)

Thanks again,

Neil

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx
And while I have only been futzing around with it for a day; I think I may have found what I needed - Temperature Control! Now I need to go back and re-evaluate all my liquids because everything just changed. :)

Thanks again,

Neil

you think they've changed now? wait until your taste buds heal from all the smoking. ERRYTING will change...i suggest to start wif bacon...or pudding.

nxvn

Dec 16, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
you think they've changed now? wait until your taste buds heal from all the smoking. ERRYTING will change...i suggest to start wif bacon...or pudding.

I am sure you are absolutely correct on that. My tastebuds are in chaos at the moment. What I thought I liked a couple weeks ago doesn't work anymore.

I was primarily talking about the difference between the Triton II and the Reactor in TC mode that I can dial-in. I am a happy camper now. Some of those flavors were getting rough. ;-) The Mystic (while I like/d it) eventually locked up my sense of taste; which thankfully is recovering now. Perhaps it won't be as harsh under TC.

Cheers,

Neil

hamburglar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2015
New Bern, NC
Don't throw out any juice. If you are like me you can just take a break from something and then get back to it later. I like to change my flavors up every 2-3 days. I have a rotation of flavors that I enjoy. Even the things I really enjoy.... I get a little sick of them after a few days, and need a change.

Reactions: nxvn

nxvn

Dec 16, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Don't throw out any juice. If you are like me you can just take a break from something and then get back to it later. I like to change my flavors up every 2-3 days. I have a rotation of flavors that I enjoy. Even the things I really enjoy.... I get a little sick of them after a few days, and need a change.

Absolutely not throwing any juice! LOL, Liquid is far cheaper than Cigs; but not that cheap! I am still getting used to the adjustments on the controllable mod and I plan on revisiting all my juices (or just mix them with something to make them tolerable).

And I can see this becoming a rabbit hole already. I am already looking at aftermarket tanks and all that. Groan.

First thing I need to do is find a decent Micro RDA drip atomizer (or something like that) because I have been tasting and mixing a bunch of liquids. I have been keeping the coils and marking them as Menthol, Tobacco and such. But I cringe every time I swap one out. :)

I have the Uncle Junk's JW dialed in; but I have some experimenting to do with the others.

Hope you all fine folks had a great Christmas!

Cheers,

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread