Bad anxiety when cutting out smoking, anyone els?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Best thing is, don't even TRY to "quit smoking"... just play a game with yourself, to see how many times you can substitute vaping for smoking. The option for a smoke is always there, if you REALLY want it.... but if you're just switching, no biggie! You'll be amazed at how quickly vaping can simply take over and run the place. For me it was about a month.

Then, once you reach a point where you're just vaping, not smoking, DO NOT get rid of your cigarettes. Stash 'em in the freezer or something, so your addicted brain knows they're still there, just out of casual sight. As long as it remains, to your mind, a free choice, then anxiety will not set in -- you are CHOOSING to vape instead of smoke. No pressure. No stress. Just free choice.

But telling yourself "I'm going to QUIT SMOKING and vape instead".... your addicted brain quit listening after the QUIT SMOKING part, it was too busy having a meltdown.

Andria

Everybody is different but that method never worked for me lol, if i know cigs are around i always find an excuse to smoke the rest, even if i bought a pack and said i will only have a few "yeah right" , not happening , i say to myself they cost me $6.00 , no way i'm wasting them .

jrlakeman

Mar 25, 2015
The anxiety hits hard for some ppl quitting smoking i was a nervous wreck for a week. I associate it to the extra chemicals in analogs that we dont get vaping like pyrazine which is awful stuff. Makes breaking the addiction a nightmare for some. Just bare with it and it will subside over time. You will find nicotine not very addictive when used on its own compared to the chemically laced analog.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
The anxiety hits hard for some ppl quitting smoking i was a nervous wreck for a week. I associate it to the extra chemicals in analogs that we dont get vaping like pyrazine which is awful stuff. Makes breaking the addiction a nightmare for some. Just bare with it and it will subside over time. You will find nicotine not very addictive when used on its own compared to the chemically laced analog.

Very true , if you run out of juice you won't take someone's life if you can't get more right away , with regular smokes you will take anyone out (without even thinking about it) if they get in your way of obtaining more.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Everybody is different but that method never worked for me lol, if i know cigs are around i always find an excuse to smoke the rest, even if i bought a pack and said i will only have a few "yeah right" , not happening , i say to myself they cost me $6.00 , no way i'm wasting them .

It's very different for me. HAVING them is almost as good as smoking them... and if I have them, I can choose not to smoke them. But if I don't have them, then I have a massive panic attack, which leads straight to rage, screaming, tears, and finally, going to the store to get cigarettes -- and smoking them -- to prove that I WON'T BE CONTROLLED BY OUTSIDE FORCES -- even the fact of not having them will not control me, I will just GO GET THEM! But as long as I have them... then it's always an option, which I don't have to exercise -- I can vape instead. I've had the same opened pk, with 12 in it, for over 11 months now... in the freezer, right behind my nic stash. :)

Andria

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
*Everybody* else, I think. God knows it happened to me. Don't force it, and don't kick yourself if you fall off the wagon occassionally. Every time you reach for a vape instead of a cig, you turned a profit, no matter how often. AndriaD has good advice: fight the battle one coffin nail at a time and don't expect to win every round at first. Keep an emergency stash of tobacco if you have to, to mute the anxiety. Try to think of it as the store being out of your favorite brand and switching for a while. It will be a surprisingly short time before you notice the more you vape vs. smoke, the better you feel, the freer you breathe and the less your mouth tastes like licking an ash tray. Once you find the right nic strength in your juice, the physical withdrawal will be gone and it will only be mental. In fact, I think most people find the anxiety drives them to vape more than they need for nic replacement. That's where that dull headache above the eyes comes from: too much nic. If that happens, try going down a step. One hint from me: stay away from tobacco flavors. Pick a flavor you really like-- Apple Pie, French Vanilla Coffee, whatever-- and move over to that. For me, it helped break the cycle. You can get juices that taste like your cigs smell in the pack, but none of them taste like smoking one because the juice doesn't taste burned unless you need a new disposable/coil/wick. Good luck, and come back as often as you need for whatever support we can offer. Soon, you'll be over here with us, coaching others through :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
*Everybody* else, I think. God knows it happened to me. Don't force it, and don't kick yourself if you fall off the wagon occassionally. Every time you reach for a vape instead of a cig, you turned a profit, no matter how often. AndriaD has good advice: fight the battle one coffin nail at a time and don't expect to win every round at first. Keep an emergency stash of tobacco if you have to, to mute the anxiety. Try to think of it as the store being out of your favorite brand and switching for a while. It will be a surprisingly short time before you notice the more you vape vs. smoke, the better you feel, the freer you breathe and the less your mouth tastes like licking an ash tray. Once you find the right nic strength in your juice, the physical withdrawal will be gone and it will only be mental. In fact, I think most people find the anxiety drives them to vape more than they need for nic replacement. That's where that dull headache above the eyes comes from: too much nic. If that happens, try going down a step. One hint from me: stay away from tobacco flavors. Pick a flavor you really like-- Apple Pie, French Vanilla Coffee, whatever-- and move over to that. For me, it helped break the cycle. You can get juices that taste like your cigs smell in the pack, but none of them taste like smoking one because the juice doesn't taste burned unless you need a new disposable/coil/wick. Good luck, and come back as often as you need for whatever support we can offer. Soon, you'll be over here with us, coaching others through :)

I had to find something that tasted quite similar to my cigarettes, or I just couldn't be "satisfied" -- and you're right, no vape tastes exactly like smoking a cigarette, there's none of that burnt bitter nastiness... and fortunately I had already tried several diff tobacco flavors that I HATED, when I found the "Virginia" at MyFreedomSmokes, and though a bit sweeter, naturally, the essential flavor was quite similar to Virginia Slims, which I smoked for 30+ yrs. As soon as I tasted that, I knew I had found the way to quit smoking! But now I can't abide that flavor! :D

Andria

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
Best thing is, don't even TRY to "quit smoking"... just play a game with yourself, to see how many times you can substitute vaping for smoking. The option for a smoke is always there, if you REALLY want it.... but if you're just switching, no biggie! You'll be amazed at how quickly vaping can simply take over and run the place. For me it was about a month.

Then, once you reach a point where you're just vaping, not smoking, DO NOT get rid of your cigarettes. Stash 'em in the freezer or something, so your addicted brain knows they're still there, just out of casual sight. As long as it remains, to your mind, a free choice, then anxiety will not set in -- you are CHOOSING to vape instead of smoke. No pressure. No stress. Just free choice.

But telling yourself "I'm going to QUIT SMOKING and vape instead".... your addicted brain quit listening after the QUIT SMOKING part, it was too busy having a meltdown.

Andria
Haha ya for sure. Thanks

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
Ya man that's what I was really hopeing for!!

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
Haha thanks!! I enjoy vaping way more then smoking. Can breathe a hundred times better and it taste good!!!

Reactions: herb

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
Lucas I don't view it as a race to the bottom (0mg nic). I view vaping as a lifestyle change. I am enjoying it now and am not smoking or dipping. I am at 12mg but that is at low ohms where a lot of people are using 3mg. I just do what works for me. I use it when I can (not work) so it is very similar except a lot of people chew where I work. Keep after it bud and don't be afraid to up the MG'S!

vapeydave

Living Legend
Verified Member
May 31, 2015
Missouri
growing up I had slight social anxiety. Got nervous around crowds and would get panic attacks, some small, some larger at random times. I feel okay during an average day but when I kick the cigarettes completely and switch to just vaping I get mini panic attacks pretty frequently and feel overly nervous around people and that's always lead me to jump back to smoking. Anyone els ever came across this problem?

Definitely feel your pain. I couldn't even talk about smoking without needing to chain smoke 3 or 4. What is working for me is this -

Set a quit date 2 months off
Cut out different times different days (one day I didn't smoke driving, another before bed, morning, etc) - one per day while smoking normal at other times
If I got anxious I just didn't worry about it and smoked
I read about vaping on my phone anytime I smoked in free time
Spent way too much money on gear to maintain excitement
Basically tried to think about vaping like I used to about smoking (before, after and during every activity)

Things seemed to get easier. Finally left the house without cigs to see how I'd cope. Decided I would buy a pack if I wanted to. Never did. I think smoking is a 4 part addiction: nicotine, habit, chemicals and comfort. The comfort part is what I spent most of my time on by breaking up the day in smoking blocks so I could get it down in my head it was possible. I can sleep without smokes or (not and) wake up or drive or eat. Eventually I quit getting anxiety about how I won't be having one. Always seems like "I'm not going to smoke later" is worse than "I'm not smoking at the moment." Just what worked for me. Everyone told me cold turkey was the only was. Removing anxiety about the future is all a mental game.

#1 trick was to keep vaping, not to stop smoking. Its a gross example but here it is - best way to not .........e isn't to stop, just have more real sex. Apologies if any are offended, just the best example I can come up with.

issy

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Between Timid and Timbuktu
How Quitting Smoking Can Help You Beat Anxiety

This article is interesting. For those with an actual diagnosed anxiety disorder, quitting is difficult and not related to the anxiety of not having cigarettes. I was thrilled to be vaping and couldn't care less about not having cigarettes around. It was purely physiological for me.

Calm Clinic has been a good resource for me. I have a low-dose diazepam prescription on hand in case I need it, which is rare, but my panic attacks are so sudden and severe sometimes that I'm too paranoid to take it once one starts. And I'm too paranoid to vape when one starts either. It's a vicious cycle once it starts. My best advice is just to switch slowly, but everyone is different.

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
How long have you been vaping my friend ?
I got my first starter kit like a year and a half ago but used it like 2 times then stopped until about 3 weeks ago I decided to really get into it. So I went and upgraded to my istick 30 watt and got 3 tanks now. Just bought the Kangertech subtank nano yesterday (love it although it burns through juice like crazy lol) but I went with zero cigarettes yesterday and had a small prime time cigar this morning but that's it for the day so it's definitely helping a lot

Reactions: herb

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
Definitely feel your pain. I couldn't even talk about smoking without needing to chain smoke 3 or 4. What is working for me is this -

Set a quit date 2 months off
Cut out different times different days (one day I didn't smoke driving, another before bed, morning, etc) - one per day while smoking normal at other times
If I got anxious I just didn't worry about it and smoked
I read about vaping on my phone anytime I smoked in free time
Spent way too much money on gear to maintain excitement
Basically tried to think about vaping like I used to about smoking (before, after and during every activity)

Things seemed to get easier. Finally left the house without cigs to see how I'd cope. Decided I would buy a pack if I wanted to. Never did. I think smoking is a 4 part addiction: nicotine, habit, chemicals and comfort. The comfort part is what I spent most of my time on by breaking up the day in smoking blocks so I could get it down in my head it was possible. I can sleep without smokes or (not and) wake up or drive or eat. Eventually I quit getting anxiety about how I won't be having one. Always seems like "I'm not going to smoke later" is worse than "I'm not smoking at the moment." Just what worked for me. Everyone told me cold turkey was the only was. Removing anxiety about the future is all a mental game.

#1 trick was to keep vaping, not to stop smoking. Its a gross example but here it is - best way to not .........e isn't to stop, just have more real sex. Apologies if any are offended, just the best example I can come up with.
Ya man thanks for the input!! Appreciate it

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
How Quitting Smoking Can Help You Beat Anxiety

This article is interesting. For those with an actual diagnosed anxiety disorder, quitting is difficult and not related to the anxiety of not having cigarettes. I was thrilled to be vaping and couldn't care less about not having cigarettes around. It was purely physiological for me.

Calm Clinic has been a good resource for me. I have a low-dose diazepam prescription on hand in case I need it, which is rare, but my panic attacks are so sudden and severe sometimes that I'm too paranoid to take it once one starts. And I'm too paranoid to vape when one starts either. It's a vicious cycle once it starts. My best advice is just to switch slowly, but everyone is different.
Yes I have social anxiety disorder. Had it way before I began smoking. I'm only 23 years old but I became a heavy drinker to self medicate as a young teen. Now thanks to Alcoholics Anonymous I'm a year sober and off to Atlanta Georgia tomorrow for the AA international convention. I was able to put down the bottle and quit cocain but I'm still struggling with the smokes due to my anxiety issues!!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Yes I have social anxiety disorder. Had it way before I began smoking. I'm only 23 years old but I became a heavy drinker to self medicate as a young teen. Now thanks to Alcoholics Anonymous I'm a year sober and off to Atlanta Georgia tomorrow for the AA international convention. I was able to put down the bottle and quit cocain but I'm still struggling with the smokes due to my anxiety issues!!

That's a bit funny... you're 23... and in August, I'll celebrate 23 yrs sobriety. :D

A tip, for being in Atlanta in July -- BRING LOTS OF SHORTS AND TANK TOPS!!! :D And say hello to "Bill W" for me -- I try to NEVER go into the city!

:thumb:
Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread