Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I notice that everytime some new member asks about an rda, some ECF veteran will recommend the Magma, an old and leaky rda with carto-like airflow.

And everytime someone asks about a mech mod, someone will recommend a Nemesis clone, an old modular tube with a switch that backs out with regular use and will often self-fire when set down unless the spring is upgraded out of the box.

It is understandable that these devices were some of many older vapers first rebuildable gear and so there is kind of an affection for them... that plus they are expensive in authentic form. They were good for their time. But there is so much superior product available now at decent prices that I think the veterans should know better.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I notice that your opinion is very evident, and I don't doubt the facts/validity behind it. I just think others may see or use the items differently.

As to the veteran's, if they work for them, good. If we don't understand history, we are apt to...

I don't think bashing really helps. But, a study of current RDAs with pros and cons, well I wopuld be grateful. Thank-you!

funkfist

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2009
I see magmas recommended when people are switching to RDAs because their RBA doesn't have enough airflow. People spit out the thing that worked for them even if it isn't relevant, then we see posts "magna has tight draw what am I doing wrong". I've stopped coming here for advice on products, everyone parrots something they have seen or heard without READING what somebody NEEDS. That's just one example out of countless situations when I see terrible advice posted. Posts that are thoughtful and have a product catered to an OP's request gets drowned out by the same thing on repeat.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I see magmas recommended when people are switching to RDAs because their RBA doesn't have enough airflow. People spit out the thing that worked for them even if it isn't relevant, then we see posts "magna has tight draw what am I doing wrong". I've stopped coming here for advice on products, everyone parrots something they have seen or heard without READING what somebody NEEDS. That's just one example out of countless situations when I see terrible advice posted. Posts that are thoughtful and have a product catered to an OP's request gets drowned out by the same thing on repeat.
exactly. I think that people started maybe 2 years ago with a Magma and it was better than the other atomizers around at the time... and they paid $120 for it, so it had that high-end feel. And so they they think that every new vaper will be happy this thing, regardless of whether it meets the OP's desired features for an RDA. But, for people who have been following the community daily while posting to a vape forum for years, it is strange that the older stuff is still getting pushed.

But there are also great recommendations here from many posters. It just has to be filtered out sometimes.

@Frenchfry1942 you are right. I will stop my rant, and maybe post a study of current RDAs at some point.

Reactions: KattMamma

Nivek13

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2015
Chicago,IL
I notice that everytime some new member asks about an RDA, some ECF veteran will recommend the Magma, an old and leaky RDA with carto-like airflow.

And everytime someone asks about a mech mod, someone will recommend a Nemesis clone, an old modular tube with a switch that backs out with regular use and will often self-fire when set down unless the spring is upgraded out of the box.

It is understandable that these devices were some of many older vapers first rebuildable gear and so there is kind of an affection for them... that plus they are expensive in authentic form. They were good for their time. But there is so much superior product available now at decent prices that I think the veterans should know better.

I had a few people recommend the magma too me on here and i bought it, well a clone and it was affordable...i made my first build on it, and have been vaping on it for about 4 days now and i could not be happier. It was extremely easy to make my first build on, yes it is a bit leaky and im not thrilled with that but i knew it ahead of time and if you dont overfill its fine. The flavor from it is superior to any tank i have ever had. I knew i would not be chasing clouds with it so i threw a mutation x in my cart as well and have build that to get more clouds. I knew both of tgose RDAs were not the best out there but were easy to get started on and got me excited about building my own coils. Ill use these for a while untill i perfect my coil builds and wicking techniques and then upgrade to something better.

Long story short im happy these were recommended to me, ive been happy with the outcome, and i would be more then happy to recommend them to someone else that is just starting RDA.

gin828

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
PA, USA
I notice that everytime some new member asks about an RDA, some ECF veteran will recommend the Magma, an old and leaky RDA with carto-like airflow.

You have a good point........ New vapers have a ton of choices for every product out there RDA, RTA, and devices of all sorts and in all prices ranges. Most of the time when new vapers...meaning people with less than 6 months ask about upgrading their gear, they either never say what kind of budget or say what their current set-up is.

I think some times as veterans we forget the learning curves we went through with old tech gear just to get a mediocre vape by today's standard. I know a lot of people who still use and recommend carto tanks. I dont recommend them not because I don't like cartos.... (trust me I got at least 80 of them setting in the closet collecting dust) There are better options out there.

My point is.... I feel a lot of veterans spent the time tinkering and learning with old tech that was the new tech back in the day and got good results though persistence and foul words. We just don't see that anymore in today's vape craze. The new age vaper throws safety out the door and think that mechs/RDAs are plug/play equipment. I don't think its the veterans giving bad advice or recommending bad gear....I think its more about the young grasshopper not willing to learn the basics about the gear they have, or to learn the vape style they like. Its just easier to buy another clone of something else and start a new thread to tell us how bad their experience was....

Last edited:

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
there is so much superior product available now

More holes in the sleeve does not equate to it being a superior product.

The Magma is still a good RDA, but it will not suit you if you are looking to impress kids with your cloud blowing 'skills'.

I agree on the Mech mod spiel to a certain extent, although there is very little difference in what is being released today to what was released a year ago. You just now have more options for the logo you want on your metal tube.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I don't recommend Magmas to people who want to cloud chase; only people who say they're seeking flavor.

I have recommended Doges to cloud chasers. Someone gave me one last year for my birthday. I built it, put it on a Sig 100W and chucked out this gigantic cloud I didn't know I was capable of. Said, "OMG, what the ?". Kept it a couple of weeks, then sold it.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Since it seems there are enough people that want to continue this thread, here is what I think:

Larger airflow does not equate to cloud chasing only. There are great flavor chasing RDAs available now. Looking at authentic RDAs in the price range of an authentic Magma, the Velocity is easier to build, doesn't leak, has the capability for any guage wire a vaper might want to try, has a top cap that locks into place to put the airflow in the exact spot of the coils everytime, and has airflow options for any vaper's style.
Or, for a slammed cap style, something like a samurai bonzai has a simple deck with positive post block to make dual coils simple. Its got adjustable airflow allowing for more power than you could do with something like a Magma. Because the chamber is so small, flavor is massive. Its a warm dense delectable joy. And it comes with a wide bore drip tip in addition to the 510 tip. But there is a splash guard on it with a 510 sized hole just over the positive post block. So you can drip down there without removing the cap and the splash guard + post positioning prevents sucking up juice when you pull on it (like happens sometimes with the Magma), even though the thing is so incredibly low profile.
I could keep going and list many more simple yet superior authentic RDAs, but I don't want to turn this post into a wall of text.

if you want to compare to a Magma clone, there are still better RDAs, both clone and authentic, in that price range. If something with bottom airflow is desired, a Kennedy clone will do it. The Kennedy also doesn't leak like the Magma, can be dripped right through the wide bore tip, and has a top cap the requires no alignment. Or there is the authentic flavor-chasing Hastur RDA which might even be cheaper than a Magma clone.

Really if some new vaper asked me what a good RDA is for a beginner, the Magma would be at the bottom of my list, even though I own an authentic. The newer RDAs are easier, more customizable, have more airflow options, and have the ability to make much more vapor with better flavor. The Magma's time has passed. It was a good RDA. Now there are many better RDAs.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I just got a authentic mutation x v4, mostly because it was cheap and I had some money to burn, and kept seeing people recommend or rave about it. Needless to say I was right, its horrible and leaks like hell. I saw people reccomending the mutation x v4 to new RDA users which I still believe is a terrible reccomendation. I own several RDA's, and the huge downside of the mutation x v4 is those deck airflow holes and copious amounts of airholes int he barrel where condensation grabs on. I've never had an RDA like this before. The deck is basically 1/2 airflow, with no place to tuck cotton in or a tiny juice well that barely holds any juice, I take 3-4 pulls and have to redrip wheras with my Revolt RDA I can just dump juice in there, take 15+ pulls on it before I have to drip again.

I still believe reccomending anything to new RDA users with airflow that originates from the deck itself is a terrible idea. They leak, and if they dont leak the condensation just builds up and eventually leads to a leak. You get a bunch of juice and crap all around the outside barrel/bottom of your RDA. If you say you dont get moisture buildup or no leakage on those bottom airflow RDA's you are lying to yourself, either that or you haven't tried a good RDA.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
"Superior" is user dependent. I've owned and used many different RDAs before and after it came out and the Magma is still one of if not my favorite. Easy to build on, great flavor, I never had an issue with leaking and as far as airflow it's got more than a enough range, definitely not carto like. It's not a cloud chaser and I always specify that but it's got plenty of airflow otherwise. The Infinite Clone is $15ish and every bit as good as the original, I can't think of a better more inexpensive atty for a beginner to make the transition into RBAs.

As for Mechs, I don't use em so I wouldn't recommend one.

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I agree 100%, a dripper with the ability to run as tight or as loose as possible, a post configuration that allows for single or duals and a reduced chamber for flavor is what should be recommended. so someone venturing into rdas has the ability to experiment first hand what suits them. you want to suck through a coffee straw you have it, you want to breath without restriction go ahead, single dual etc.

to someone getting their first rda it should be one that accommodates most of the vaping styles, and not an rda that excels in one department but restricts you in many others.

Heavy_H2O

Apr 27, 2015
SoCal
For me, a bad recommendation is when someone asks for a range of features (insert whatever it is - single/dual coil, restrictive/airy AF, rebuildable/stock coil, etc), and another recommends something else entirely different that has nothing to do with someone originally is asking for.

All the rest I treat it like a review or opinion. It is neither right nor wrong but solely based on user experience, and if that sways readers towards brand X or may be steered away from it, then it served it's purpose. :)

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
For me, a bad recommendation is when someone asks for a range of features (insert whatever it is - single/dual coil, restrictive/airy AF, rebuildable/stock coil, etc), and another recommends something else entirely different that has nothing to do with someone originally is asking for.

All the rest I treat it like a review or opinion. It is neither right nor wrong but solely based on user experience, and if that sways readers towards brand X or may be steered away from it, then it served it's purpose. :)
This is exactly my point. Some new vaper will say something like: "I am new and am looking for a good RDA thats easy to build coils and has more airflow than my xxx clearomizer. I'd like to be able to test out dripping different flavors on it and not have to worry about having a tank of juice that leaks sometimes. I mainly am looking for flavor but would like the option to try making some clouds if I find that it suits me."
Almost guranteed, someone will recommend the Magma. Why? Maybe they don't know any better. But I see people that have been here a long time still recommending it. I don't think they are setting that new vaper off on a good start.

Heavy_H2O

Apr 27, 2015
SoCal
Actually, I transitioned into rebuildables coming from clearos (evod, KPT2, etc), and Magma was my first RDA based on recommendation. I was impressed because I found it airier than clearos. I almost found it too airy the first day or so, and thought It was not for me but liked it afterwards (must be my build). My AF preferences evolved long since then - I am more of a lung-hitter now rather than mouth-to-lung.

Are there any newer and better RDA's than Magma? Absolutely, lots of them. Personally, I recommend Velocity but for someone who's new and coming from clearos might find it too airy even with adjustable AF. I suppose that is for them to decide so long as they have the info they needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread