Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I notice that everytime some new member asks about an rda, some ECF veteran will recommend the Magma, an old and leaky rda with carto-like airflow.
Leaky yes- carto-like airflow NO.

Underside- side airhole airflow, yes. Yes there are much better options. To fault someone for recommending a device that works for them is rather silly.

My Magma has long been in my atty graveyard but I am sure I will pull it out in the future just for kicks. The flavor it can generate is pretty good as I recall. Very good actually.

I see your point though.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
But there is so much superior product available now at decent prices that I think the veterans should know better.

One point in their defense, that I don't think was mentioned, is that people generally don't recommend things they haven't personally used. So while there may be "better" (as subjective as that is) options, perhaps the recommended item is the "best" of what that particular vaper has used? As quickly as new products come out nowadays most people won't have been able to try everything. Typically, the longer one has been vaping, the less they try to keep up with all the new doodads coming out every day, particularly if they are satisfied with what they have

I'm sure I've offered recommendations that might not have been ideal to people before, solely at the fault of the above point. Given the product variety out there, I always take recommendations made to me with a grain of salt and just use them as a starting point for my own personal research on what I plan to buy (whether the recommended item or another). Not everyone is willing to do their own research, of course, but that's not the fault of the person recommending a product ;)

Just my :2c:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Just because you don't like something.. Doesn't make a recommendation for that something bad. The out of context suggestion, thing I get.

The Magma and some of those bad devices must not be totally bad, as there seem to be as many haters as fans for MOST things vape.

But I get your point. I am a FANBOY of the JEEP. I recommend a Jeep to anyone who will listen. To the person with time and money for repairs I recommend for the Jeep.. For the person, like my daughter, who is NOT going to care for the rig, against. Good thing is her buying a Jeep, convinced her that Dad does know what he is talking about sometimes. Next time she will do as I said an get something else.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Usually here's my recommendation list for new rebuilders -

RTA's / Tank Systems / Clearo's:
Kanger Sub-Tank Series - It's a tank that has a rebuildable section in the package. If you want to rebuild, the coil heads aren't a nightmare to work with either. So there you go. Does it leak? If you improperly fill it.

Lemo / Lemo 2 - The 'Kayfun Killer'. Not as expensive as a Kayfun, a glass tube included, and pretty easy to build with. Does it leak? See Above.

Kayfun Lite+ / Kayfun v4 - Again - an RTA. I always say "If you can build on a Kayfun, you can build on anything..." because the deck is so small, the screws are small, everything about it is small except for flavor and the price point - $100-200. Does it leak? I haven't had any issues with the Lite+ unless I overfill it. As far as the v4, no. Close the juice flow first, fill it then.

RDA / Drippers ALL RDA's LEAK IF OVERFILLED:
Tugboat v2 - Well built, easily available, adjustable airflow, deep juice well, nice fat copper pin (protrudes enough to make contact with anything - might not fit on something with a non adjustable pin), but a little pricey - sometimes in the excess of $100.

The Alliance RDA - Pretty well built device, wont break the bank, 3 post design to fit some decent gauge wire. Also no adjustable airflow and only supports dual coil because the air holes are on both sides - comes with a lot of parts (barrels) to restrict the air flow.

Cats - Again, pretty well built, hard to acquire, maybe a bit pricey for some $50-100. Somewhat tight draw for some people. Does it leak? Hardly. This RDA I would carry in my pocket, but if it's upside down, of course it will leak.

Doge - Why the doge? If you want big airflow that can be dialed down, the doge is for you.

MutationX v3 - Why? Because it's inexpensive, readily available, easy to build on, and airflow can be dialed down to fit your desired draw.

Genesis / Genny / Mesh Based RTA's:
Z-Atty - Expensive, impeccable build quality, glass tank section, single air hole, might have too tight of a draw, mesh is a pain to work with, decent juice capacity, can't lay it on the wick side.

Kraken - Expensive, great build quality, glass tank with metal sleeve, dual air holes, draw may be a bit tight for some, same - supposed to use mesh, decent juice capacity, cant lay it on the wick(s) side.

Again, for a new builder - depends on what they want. I usually offer input on various devices. Trying to identify with who I may be answering the question to. Do I recommend everything to everybody? No. I also will try to recommend stuff that I've personally used as well. As it makes no sense to go strictly off of a reviewers standpoint, or someone else's opinions who haven't used those devices. I get a lot of people saying "why did you recommend [insert said atomizer], because it sucks?!" Just because you had problems with it, doesn't always mean everyone else has had issues with it. This is where opinion comes into play. This is also where I may suggest a clone as well. Not everyone has a stable income, makes $25 / hour, or can afford some of the above atomizers. So I keep that in mind as well. All-in-all, it's all personal experience. Would I recommend a device like an IGO-W6 to someone? Maybe if they've had a pretty good history of building without issues, but definitely NOT to a new builder. Same applies for the MutationX v4 - I own 2, love them both. The MXv4S and the full sized MXv4... they both have their purpose, the v4S is my nickel, flavor chasing device, and the MXv4 is my cloud chaser / flavor build - depending on how open my airflow is. The bottom airflow on the v4S is open - sides closed, whereas the v4 the bottom is closed, sides open. Do they leak? Haven't had any leaking on either of them. Do I recommend them to new builders / vapers? No. Because they probably haven't had the experience with anything having bottom air flow.

Same thing I'd say for the Plumeveil 1.5 - also, it's a crappy RDA. Good idea, piss poor machining, and expensive as all hell. Just because it costs a lot, doesn't mean it's a great product.

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I had a few people recommend the magma too me on here and i bought it, well a clone and it was affordable...i made my first build on it, and have been vaping on it for about 4 days now and i could not be happier. It was extremely easy to make my first build on, yes it is a bit leaky and im not thrilled with that but i knew it ahead of time and if you dont overfill its fine. The flavor from it is superior to any tank i have ever had. I knew i would not be chasing clouds with it so i threw a mutation x in my cart as well and have build that to get more clouds. I knew both of tgose RDAs were not the best out there but were easy to get started on and got me excited about building my own coils. Ill use these for a while untill i perfect my coil builds and wicking techniques and then upgrade to something better.

Long story short im happy these were recommended to me, ive been happy with the outcome, and i would be more then happy to recommend them to someone else that is just starting RDA.

Thats exactly right , i still recommend the Magma myself to people wanting the best flavor possible from an RDA whether new or experienced .

As a matter of fact , to this day the Magma is still the most recommend on many sites just that do reviews of RDA's and other gear , i recently saw a "Best RDA's " thread from another site that has the Magma as the top pic for flavor chasers .

I have tried tons of RDA's , new and old and imo the Magma still shines.

If you don't like the recommendations then recommend what you think is the best but please spare me the criticisms regarding peoples own views on whats best .

Reactions: 52anddone

Kevin Johnson

Dec 25, 2014
FL
As a relatively new builder (6 months), maybe I can contribute something of worth. The first dripper I tried was the Dark Horse. I did not drip again for a few months because I thought it was pointless. That thing has basically no juice well, and I would get a dry hit once every couple of toots. Another thing that really turned me off to the whole experience was how leaky the damn thing was! Having really not much of a rim on the juice well, there was nowhere for juice to sit. Another thing was that stupid afc ring and how loose the draw was.

Then I saw reviews on the Freakshow, which was really inexpensive for an authentic. I'd been reading up and I thought that it would be a good purchase. While my Freakshow was in the mail, I went to a vape shop and someone recommended a Troll, also made by Wotofo and also an inexpensive authentic. Those two rdas, a combined $60 purchase, converted me in no time. I started building on the Troll first and I found the deck to be large enough that it was easy to work on. The device was really straightforward in terms of what you see is what you get; I liked that a lot. I ended up loving both rdas so much that I've continued to buy a few here and there, mostly authentics with one or two clones. The Troll was a straight-up cloud chaser, and the Freakshow a flavor machine. I got the best of both worlds. Now, I know there are lots of drippers out there that are made of WAY better materials, and give you more options, etc. But for the newbie, these two drippers were perfect.

I'm even confident enough now in my building to buy attys with different types of posts, such as the Velocity two post deck. At the moment, it is probably my favorite dripper. I also have a CLTv3, another VERY user-friendly rda, a Mutation X4, a Doge X2, and after the positive post fell out of my original Freakshow, I ended up buying a Freakshow Mini. The only bad experiences I've actually had that came specifically from recommendations from other vapers were the Dark Horse and the Doge, which I find to be near-flavorless and too airy for my taste. I've talked to several vapers that are newer than I am, and I usually recommend that they start with a cheaper device like a Troll.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Sorry you may not like others choices. But the magma/nemesis is still a valid option.

Not sure what the bias is against this fine combo.

20150727_173455.jpg
20150727_173512.jpg

20150727_174014.jpg

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
RDA / Drippers ALL RDA's LEAK IF OVERFILLED:

Vector by Vulcan cannot leak unless you squonk 5 mls of juice into it.[emoji51] ALL of the new top air flow attys are literally leak proof. Check them out! It is all I am running these days. Flavor and vapor incredible.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
The keyword is "OVERFILLED" - you proved that with the remark of "If you squonk 5mls of juice into it..." Isn't that technically overfilling?
The key words were "all RDA'S leak. The Vector does not leak, ever. It is impossible to squonk 5ml into it therefore it cannot be overfilled.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Ok I see where you're going. But again, does everyone have a squonker? Probably not. And you would never read or hear about me recommending a squonk setup. I've never used a squonk system and therefor cannot and will not recommend it. I'm still positive I can overfill a squonker though. After looking at the photos of this Vector, it will in fact leak if misused. Or if laid on its side, overfilled (flooded), or set upside down with juice on the wicks. Juice will find it's way out of there if permitted to do so. Just like the CATS RDA. Is it prone to leaking? Not hardly, but will juice still find it's way out of it? Absolutely. If it's mishandled or overfilled I've seen juice come pouring out of the drip tip. The airflow is on the top of the device, it houses a bell inside of the sleeve itself, and can and will allow juice out of it if need be. See attached photos.

yozqBBK.jpg

6Z9H7lN.jpg

lu79IkQ.jpg

YPHWTS3.jpg

Photo 1: Completely disassembled

Photo 2: Bell housing - holes on the side of the bell housing

Photo 3: Brass sleeve installed over bell housing - air holes at the top of the brass cap

Photo 4: AFC ring installed over air holes on brass sleeve

Yes, it has top airflow as well. I have watched someone flood the piss out of it too. And it wasn't fun at all to watch that happen.

Last edited:

hypocritelecteur

Jun 23, 2015
I think when making a recommendation people do need to lean toward the tried and true, and by necessity that means older devices. Can't even count the number of times I've been burnt while buying electronics because reviews almost never take longevity and reliability into account. It's just the specs and the user experience after one week or so. And that's not really helpful.

Reactions: thomas l

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Recommending to vapers new to rda's requires knowledge on what they want. They could be coming from something like an Atlantis (like I did) or a subtank and are used to the more airy draw. Still, I will never recommend a bottom airflow rda to someone who's new to them. I see people recommending the mutation x v4 all the time and it really annoys me. I have one myself, which is why I wouldn't recommend it to the first time dripper.
I realize a lot of people asking for RDA recommendations are looking to not spend a lot of money when first starting out, which is why the mutation x v4 is such a popular choice across the board. But there are authentics in that price range that are much better for a person looking for their first RDA. You have the mutation x v3, doge v2, doge v2s, STRO mini, Royal Hunter/Vector (only about $10-15 more), hastur, Sapor, etc. each of those can be used for clouds or flavor except for the STRO mini because it has fixed airflow. For flavor, simply CLOSE OFF YOUR AIRFLOW! It's simple. There are also the clones that'll sell for about $9-20.

But for people who are experienced in dripping and coil building, and price isn't a factor, there are way too many drippers out there to recommend. It's all about what they're looking for in a vape. So people chime in all the time with biased opinions based on what they have, and yes I do it too, because if I own something, it's because I've tried it and liked it's features or because of the design of the posts/AFC/size, and what I'm looking for in a new atty.
Currently I'm trying to choose between the Haus of Zombi Pi2 (distributed by Hyon), Hyon Mods Pugio, Kennedy 24mm, and the Petri 1.5. I'll probably hold off on the Petri 1.5 as I already have a v1, although if I bought a 1.5, I could drill out the chimney of either for extra airflow since they're interchangeable. Each of these RDA's I've listed has their pros and cons, it's just a matter of sorting through the noise to figure out which to get.
Out of curiosity, based on the list I'm trying to decide from (cost is not a factor), what would each of you suggest?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I love my stillare and my elm but my point is that for beginners recommending a tried and true proven performer thats pretty easy to work on and has a solid history is not an issue.

I would prefer someone gets their feet wet the first time with easy to use gear so they can be successful and decide to stick with it.
After the bug hits they can move on to whatever catches their fancy.

"Z-Atty - Expensive, impeccable build quality, glass tank section, single air hole, might have too tight of a draw"

I almost choked on my coffee laughing too hard.

Terrible genesis, overpriced, featureless, light on flavor, air flow is about as restricted as a paper towel tube with no way to dial it down. Top cap is so spacious you could hide the shuttle in there lol. Personally cant stand it.

Last edited:

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
"Z-Atty - Expensive, impeccable build quality, glass tank section, single air hole, might have too tight of a draw"

I almost choked on my coffee laughing too hard.

Terrible genesis, overpriced, featureless, light on flavor, air flow is about as restricted as a paper towel tube with no way to dial it down. Top cap is so spacious you could hide the shuttle in there lol. Personally cant stand it.

But yeah, there's the difference between you and I. I had nothing but good experiences with it, then again - to each their own. Like I said - the airflow is restrictive to some, but for others it might be too much. To me, it was a bit restrictive. Maybe not as restrictive as my KFL+v2 with the airflow wide open, but still pretty restrictive. Opinion is what this is entire thread is about. And as for the build quality - mine came in flawless - no wash required, the glass tank stood up to many drops (including having stuff dropped on it), and the atomizer body and cap were pretty durable, and the tolerances were on point IMO.

XeniaVaper

Aug 13, 2015
yes, to the mutation v3.
it should be more widely recommended.af adjustment from next to nothing all the way up to wind chamber,t post positive terminals, I've put 22g wire in them holes before...
the wide blue tip may be a turn off to some of they want mouth to lung hits, but the only real drawback imo is the fairly small juice well.
plus, as already started is quite affordable...$15 (I think) fire an authentic, and I've seen Congress at less than 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread