Bad Gear Recommendations on ECF

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My view, there is a divide between people doing mouth to lung (MTL) and single coils or direct lung and may be dual coils. I do the former and rda's optimized for that are hard to find. I like my fasttech Derringer clone but if it was made the way I wanted there would be just 2 posts for a single coil (with none in the center), no inner ring, and one small air supply hole that I would drill out to my preference. To use my current Derringer a fraction of one hole is open and there is tape on the opposite side. Mostly I use a Tugboat v2 clone. I put tape on the opposite side of that one too to keep the draw tight and focused. I've got a Tugboat v1 on the way which has no inner ring. I'm hoping that as the market matures there will be more rda's with MTL in mind.

Drilling tiny holes would be a challenge for some. I've got a marking punch if needed, full fractional drill set, a production vice, and a drill press to put it all in. Most people don't have that but B&M shops could have that as a service. (I've also got a hobby lathe and may be one of these day's I'll make some top ends for single coils and MTL.) There are a lot of MTL vapers out there and not many rda's for them to choose from.

Reactions: Woofer

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
The Magma is still a good RDA, but it will not suit you if you are looking to impress kids with your cloud blowing 'skills'.

If youre looking to impress kids with your cloud blowing skillz, I submit that youre vaping for all the wrong reasons to start with.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
If someone flat out says 'recommend me a..' they havn't spent enough time researching, and are just going to get a flood of what people happen to be liking that week.
Bad gear? Within reason theres no such thing, just the right tool for the job and thats completely dependent on how you use it.

hypocritelecteur

Jun 23, 2015
Dude, you can't be serious. There's a whole lot more bad gear than good gear out there.
For every piece of great gear there's ten terrible knockoffs that will break within weeks if they function at all.
For every DNA device there are twenty awful egos priced at $50+ with proprietary nonsense to ensnare new vapers.
For every bottle of White Mountain liquid there's a hundred full of god knows what sold under fly by night labels brewed in god only knows what environments.
For every PBusardo there are twenty random payola tube accounts grading utter tripe as 10/10 until their next endorsement bundle comes in the mail.

It's a huge problem. That's why people like to congregate and ask questions.

Reactions: towelie

The Eciginator

Ultra Member
Jul 27, 2015
I got a Magma clone, an Infinite Lava, based on what folks here have said about the Magma being a great flavor performer and easy to build on. They were right. I also took into consideration the negative views that it was leaky if overfilled or placed on its side. Those people were also right. I fill it with 15 to 18 drops and I usually just have my mod sitting upright anyway so no leaking! I also have a Velocity on the way so I'll see how old and new tech compare, but I would have no problem recommending a Magma to someone seeking a good flavor RDA. So everyone keep those recommendations and anti-recommendations coming! It's valuable information either way!:thumb:

Reactions: DoubleEwe

Kevin Johnson

Dec 25, 2014
FL
Dude, you can't be serious. There's a whole lot more bad gear than good gear out there.
For every piece of great gear there's ten terrible knockoffs that will break within weeks if they function at all.
For every DNA device there are twenty awful egos priced at $50+ with proprietary nonsense to ensnare new vapers.
For every bottle of White Mountain liquid there's a hundred full of god knows what sold under fly by night labels brewed in god only knows what environments.
For every PBusardo there are twenty random payola tube accounts grading utter tripe as 10/10 until their next endorsement bundle comes in the mail.

It's a huge problem. That's why people like to congregate and ask questions.
I agree with you on all of that wholeheartedly. One question though, did you meant White Label and not White Mountain? If so, that makes mores sense. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I won't comment about recommending drippers, as I've only had personal experience with two models.

When it comes to mechanical mods, I recommend the Silver Bullet for an inexpensive first mech because its built to be safer than your usual mech mod.

• Number one, it has a side firing power switch. Not only is this more natural than a bottom fire switch (how many regulated mods can you name with a bottom fire switch?), this button is recessed making it almost impossible to autofire in a pocket, purse, or when set down on end (unlike most mech mods in production today).
  • The SB's fire button is designed to vent the gases of a battery in thermal runaway. Most mods have vent holes in the botton of the mod. Most batteries will vent from their top. Batteries may also expand in diameter when they vent, which can potentially block off the access to the bottom vent holes of most mods -- creating a pipe bomb.
  • Most of todays mechanical mods use a bottom fire switch. This is purely because they are cheaper to design and machine. This is not a particularly safe design, unless the fire switch has a locking mechanism. Having said that, that locking mechanism must be used each time the mod is set down. How many people actually do that in practice?
silverveing.jpg

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
what would be the worst recommendation, the Magma or the Nemesis clone? :blink:

Worst? They would have to take 2nd worst to the suggestions of an RBA and a mechanical to a brand new spankin' newbie in the New Members forum.......or a 100w mod with a subohm for a newbie

Reactions: grandmato5

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I notice that everytime some new member asks about an RDA, some ECF veteran will recommend the Magma, an old and leaky RDA with carto-like airflow.

And everytime someone asks about a mech mod, someone will recommend a Nemesis clone, an old modular tube with a switch that backs out with regular use and will often self-fire when set down unless the spring is upgraded out of the box.

It is understandable that these devices were some of many older vapers first rebuildable gear and so there is kind of an affection for them... that plus they are expensive in authentic form. They were good for their time. But there is so much superior product available now at decent prices that I think the veterans should know better.
and what would you suggest a newbie gets??

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

TheLordWinter

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2010
Detroit, MI
The trend that I'm seeing here is that everyone seems to be missing the larger point in the whole "bad gear recommendations" theme. All RDA's I've seen or heard of seem to have their own quirks. This tank can't be laid on that side the third sunday of the fifth week of the month, that one leaks like a sieve when you flip it upside down... No, seriously.

Can't lay certain tanks on the coil side, Mutation Xv4 leaks all over the place, tight draw here... You really are missing the point. There are trade-offs for all the features we love so much, because you can only fit so many of them, or all of them to a certain degree, within a certain space. After that, it's down to user preference. Instead of railing against the people who recommend the things we don't care for... perhaps we could get more Product User Groups on here and keep the complaints down to actual issues with products instead of content.

For the record, if you clean the Mutation Xv4 about once a week and use a proper wick size (smart DIY'ers will tell you that wicks should catch in the coil, but not hard enough to actually move the coil when pulled on), it doesn't leak. Take the rings out and do a full cleaning once a month to get the juice out that makes it behind the rings to further prevent leakage. Also, find your preferred airflow, set it, and forget it. The more you move an O-ring gasket, the more likely it is to begin to leak.

Never forget proper maintenance, and like some others have said... try to take personal preference and experience into account. I get that some of you don't understand how to use some of the equipment, but that doesn't make it a bad piece of equipment. I love the Mutation Xv4 so much that I have three of them in active rotation. They perform beautifully for me. Juice well isn't modest either, with a good wick, I can get nearly 1.5ml in there with dual coils.

Last edited:

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
Stick to experienced vapor reviews/commentary. Unfortunately, its not a paying job for some of these people, and some choose to say less and some nothing at all. Stupidity generally isnt success either, unless your Daniel Dennett or Sam Harris, it usually doesnt work.

All RTA's can leak too. And some RTA's are finicky. ie (Aqua slightly more finicky then Kayfun despite all the Aqua love.) The trick is too buy ones (clones especially) which do not leak based upon manufacturer quality. If you search through the threads at ECF, there are recommends on high quality clones. <<< The Tobecco Aqua 2 clone comes to mind as a highly rated one, although I dont own one. I find that the dual coil RTA's typically are more finicky, and the more airflow provided by the RTA, (larger airflow channels) the greater the chance of leaking issues occurring. If you have large non adjustable airflow channels, you have to use them, and the draw from the vapor chamber must be spent in vape or leaking can occur, usually from the 1)air intake chamber on a well sealed unit or the 2) drip tip if too much non spent juice gets drawn into the vapor chamber. <<< which is why I typically stay away from those units. <<<<But that certainly isnt cut in stone. I really like the Orchid, but the Orchid is special in its capacity to: 1) draw juice only thru the juice channel when taking a draw without backflow to the airchamber unless flooded due to conditions listed below. 2) not allow juice to seep into the vapor chamber while idle 3) and its ability to reward average wicking. Also with the Orchid you dont have to put wick in the juice channels, which is why I think it is at least the equal of many other dual coil RTA's , although obviously many disagree. <<< Its also one of reasons why I dont bother buying into the the new gizmo's. Also remember that dual coil RTA's by design are intended to burn more ejuice, but if you find atomizers with deep juice channels, the amount of vape produced with single coil RTA's, can be essentially a wash. <<< A really big advantage for non sub ohm vapers.

Other causes of leaking:

1) Improper sealing of unit. (O rings, improper seal from chimney to cap oring, etc.)
2) Battery operating substandard when taking a draw, causes more juice flow without burning up the juice.
3) Improper optimal wicking.
A) which is where some RTA's are finicky and need wicking which is really touchy. <<<< Fogger, at least early versions, is more finicky then the Aqua.
B) the Kayfun is legendary in this regard, allowing a wide range of wicking depending on depth of juice channels.
4) Its commonly reported that leaking can occurr from over wicking, using too big a diameter of coil when wicking. <<<< I dont want to discuss, to me its empty handwringing. ie(I dont wick into the juice well so for me its pointless, but a well designed/sealed RTA should never leak based upon larger diameter coil if the wick is kept above the juice well. <<< Just my opinion. For the obvious reason if the juice cant move to the wick without draw, there will be no juice available to flood the wick. Certainly tho, if someone wicks into the juice well, leaking could occur from over wicking. Just my opinion, and dont want to argue it.) But in the same regard burnt wick taste or dry burn taste can occur from underwicking or not enough juice flow. <<<< More, IMO, a common failing of just bad vape gear or a really crappy wick.

the Kayfun/Orchid Series does have a few non vaping advantages:
1) some Kayfun/Orchid parts are interchangeable but not all of them.
2) Parts and modification to customize Kayfuns are available more then any other atomizer.
3 Rebuilding Kayfuns are about as easy as changing a car tire, if you have the right tools. <<<< Which may be a real big deal if FDA regulations are put into law.

In the end its more important what the user thinks of his own gear, then what someone yarns about it.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I bought lots of "the best thing ever" hardware early on. I learned quickly that you can't really rely on other peoples opinions in vaping gear. I have a box full of devices that take expensive heads. My main vape is a Kayfun v3. My three Kayfun 4's sit in a box glaring at me, but the KF3 is easy, reliable, and long lasting as long as it gets new o-rings here and there.

I've been reading latest and greatest threads for a while now and watching PBusardo's reviews. My money is still in my pocket at the moment. Maybe soon I'll spring for something new.

Reactions: grandmato5

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    OK, I'm a newbie, and the only RDA I have is a Mako Shorty, and I want to replace it. Seems like a small deck, not too crazy abt it.

I'm probably also going to be going from cotton to rayon within a week.

Does everyone agree the Vector by Vulcan is a very good RDA? Thinking abt the gun metal one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread