Not open for further replies.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
E-cigarette study reports how to improve safety

"This is exciting information, as it moves us one step closer towards helping e-cigarette users choose safer devices, and use them in way that will produce fewer toxins. And along those same lines, help e-cigarette companies design safer devices."

Unfortunately, FDA has made it all but impossible to improve product designs.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The study itself is behind a paywall.

It's another instance of researchers, possibly intentionally, misusing what they're testing. The abstract doesn't mention what atomizers were used, just that one is single coil and the other is dual. Then they ran both from 3.3v to 4.8v. We already know what happens when you put too much power through an atomizer. It starts burning/dry puff, and it tastes nasty.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota

It's another instance of researchers, possibly intentionally, misusing what they're testing. The abstract doesn't mention what atomizers were used, just that one is single coil and the other is dual. Then they ran both from 3.3v to 4.8v. We already know what happens when you put too much power through an atomizer. It starts burning/dry puff, and it tastes nasty.

I get that, but I appreciated seeing a mainstream (non-vaping) publication taking the time to produce a more nuanced analysis of study's implications, including speaking with experts in the vaping industry.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

The atomizers in the study where marked "Ego" and "Aero". They also did not identify the liquids used beyond initials.
LINKY

Cheers
I

There is already someone with a little bit more insight who ripped it apart:

Outpourings of Hot Air - Facts Do Matter

In the meantime this stuff is already making the round in german media. Funny thing to overheat liquid and in fact producing dry hits. Please also have a look at this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160729092221/http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2016/07/27/e-cigarettes-emit-harmful-chemicals-emit-others/

Interesting picture and an interesting point about financing:

"The research was funded by the Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program (TRDRP), which is managed by the University of California and funded by state cigarette taxes."

Can someone please point me to the full text of this "study"? Not the paid one of course. There is no reason to pay for crap. :thumbs:

Thanks, Rainer :)

Thanks a lot, already in work. :thumb:

This thing is probably developing in the german press over the weekend. For another view i found this as well:

No, they didn't find dangerous new carcinogens in your e-cigarette vapor

The first real newspaper already picked it up (german only)

http://web.archive.org/web/20160729084229/http://www.augsburger-allgemeine.de/wissenschaft/Daempfe-von-E-Zigaretten-Forscher-finden-weitere-krebserregende-Stoffe-id38642322.html

I always use archive.org to break bad links. No eCommerce and no SEO ranking for them.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
Yes choocho , they are both in the vicinity , decades of anti establishment devotees whom have become liberal democrats and now, unfortunately,who run the establishment , elitest, and "enlightened"ones showing us the way
Most of the liberals I know (myself included) support keeping the government out of matters of personal choice.
There are plenty of blue-nosed moral crusaders on the RIGHT side of the aisle, too. It doesn't matter what their motivation is. The end result is the same.
Don't let vaping get turned in to just another partisan issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread