Ban e-cigs on planes? Congressman vapes in protest

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrykrinkle

Jan 8, 2014
Lowell, MA
WASHINGTON – Rep. Duncan Hunter drew a deep breath and blew a cloud of opposition Thursday at a proposal to ban electronic cigarettes on airliners.

Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, D-D.C., proposed in the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee to add the ban to legislation setting Federal Aviation Administration policy. She said the prohibition would complement the 25-year ban on cigarettes in airline cabins as a health risk and the ban against stowing electronic cigarettes in checked baggage cargo because of fire concerns.

Continues here: Ban e-cigs on planes? Congressman vapes in protest

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
"Even without smoke, several members said the vapors are often scented and unpleasant. A lawmaker sitting next to Hunter waved away the cloud from his vaporizer."

I liked this comment by another congressman who was also opposed to the ban:

Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Pa., opposed the amendment because lawmakers were trying to regulate moist air. He argued that lawmakers would next try to ban hot air, bad breath and body odor.

“Are we really going to go there?” Shuster said to laughter. “I’ve been on the floor before talking to some of you, and I’ve had to take a step back.”

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Lackeys of Big Cig. If people can't transport their vaping gear they will likely smoke
when they get to their destinations.

I notice no one is talking about banning people from taking their cigarettes on
the plane.

The discussion was not about transport, but use while on the plane.

Reactions: LaraC

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
The discussion was not about transport, but use while on the plane.

That is correct.

And sorry, I have to agree with Spartanslew. I don't think people need to use ecigs on airplanes, in close quarters, sitting in a metal tube despite environmental control systems.

Air on planes is very dry when cruising at high altitudes. That is good because humidity in the cabin can condense on cold surfaces (exterior walls of cabin) and can damage the plane....humidity in cabin is avoided due to ability to cause corrosion, etc. There are already enough problems with air quality, bleed air, etc. on tightly packed airplanes.

People who are unfamiliar with aeronautics systems, and people who aren't pilots don't seem to understand a lot of airplane related stuff.

Besides, I can't imagine having to vape every single minute of my life anyway. Surely there are places where we don't HAVE to vape?

Reactions: Foggy Road

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Besides, I can't imagine having to vape every single minute of my life anyway.
Right. I generally spend about 30% of each day not vaping. ;)

Surely there are places where we don't HAVE to vape?
So you actually want more places where vaping prohibited by law? Vaping is already prohibited by the airlines' own policies. Their planes, their rules. Why do we need another law?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Vaping is already prohibited by the airlines' own policies. Their planes, their rules. Why do we need another law?

Airlines own policies have restrictions on pilot alcohol consumption by (8 hours from bottle to throttle, BAC levels, etc.)

So there shouldn't be any laws for that either?

Remember when YouTube user “Jenee Fowler” (Vape Girl) explained to her subscribers how to successfully smoke an electronic cigarette on board an aircarft?

Work to change the law if you must..... but showing the vaping community how to break the law is detrimental to the vaping community.

I fully support and understand what the national airspace system is, and why Congress vested the FAA with exclusive control over it.

Reactions: Foggy Road

SusanEHM

Nov 13, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
This link to the same story has a bit more detail. When I saw the Vine of him vaping I thought he may have been just trolling but the video here has his statement which followed: Group

I just heard on World News Tonight (ABC) that ALL e-cigs will be banned by airlines, including our carry-on luggage (???)! WTH? So do I have to make sure all my batteries are DEAD? Good Q. Anyone?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I just heard on World News Tonight (ABC) that ALL e-cigs will be banned by airlines, including our carry-on luggage (???)! WTH? So do I have to make sure all my batteries are DEAD? Good Q. Anyone?
There are two options here...

1) The news is wrong
2) Nobody on this forum knew this was happening

I'm voting for the first choice.
:)

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
I heard this too and was wondering what I was going to do when we go on vacation this summer, already booked a flight so can't drive, have way to much gear already to buy more when I get there if there is even a shop around. I was thinking of sending a package to my brother who was meeting up with us when we get there but I am not sure thats a good idea either he is also a heavy vaper. My batteries would be drained and mismatched and my juice would be evaporated:glug:

Reactions: LaraC

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I hope your right DC2
I better be right.

And if I'm wrong, there better be an uprising in the vape world.
Maybe it would be the wake up call so many vapers need.

But yeah, I better be right.
Because vapers don't seem all that inclined to wake up.

Reactions: Clark Kent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread