Barrel Coils: Joyetech Notch Coil, iJoy TSS Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas
So is this the first of it's kinda, aka welded joint?
A bit worried here, that joint gets hot, gets drenched with e-juice and beign a steam machine gets inhaled directly to lugns a lot, not so eager to give it a go.

as to the welded joints you can also get coils that are( nr-r-nr) which are made of three bits of wire welded/fused joints coil is resistance wire and the legs are non resistance wire

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
as to the welded joints you can also get coils that are( nr-r-nr) which are made of three bits of wire welded/fused joints coil is resistance wire and the legs are non resistance wire
Yeah, but with those the NR-lead doesn't touch the r-wire, so I wouldn't question them and also the R-wire isn't ss as far as I know.

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
Not sure what the bolded means.

And that's the configuration of Crown NR-R-NR heads (others too) - Ni-SS-Ni.
When you look at the Notch you clearly can see, that for a bit the lead is laying against the ss-part before beign bended down where as with your nr-R-nr-wire there is the joint from which the nr-lead goes down never really touching the r-wire, EVEN with vertical coils because there is some filler in between.
Don't honestly know if this could be an possible health issue it's just something I noticed.

Azzitude

Feb 12, 2015
It's actually $10 for a 5 pack. Nickel leads killed it for me also.
we buy them for .45 ea
they work very well .... the coil itself is not as strong as one would think, they will crush and deform if you push em around like a standard coil but if you're gentle and take your time they are worth all .45

I have them in the Petri v2 and a Twisted Messes 2 and they work great, next is the Boreas with the 2.5mm deck.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

They arent welded.
They are soldered. Big difference.

We are not told what is used to solder the legs into the Stainless steel coil.

Heavy metal toxins are a very real, very serious issue.
I wouldnt touch those coils without more information

Reactions: MMW and Zombo

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
You can buy pre-made spools of clapton wire from Geek Vape or UD for ~$7 apiece, and 15' makes a lot more than 10 coils. So I'd like to try the notch coil, but don't feel any rush to do so and I doubt they'd ever become my "go to" coil of choice.

Parallels cost even less and outperform claptons.
No special wire needed.
$6=100 ft.

Reactions: 7sixtwo

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
So is this the first of it's kinda, aka welded joint?
A bit worried here, that joint gets hot, gets drenched with e-juice and beign a steam machine gets inhaled directly to lugns a lot, not so eager to give it a go.

Not a first at all. NR-R-NR coils have been around for years.

Bryan M.

Jan 11, 2016
What do you think of pre-made barrel-style coils like the Joyetech Notch Coil and iJoy TSS Coil? The initial models are using stainless steel barrels and nickel legs. The idea is to combine the surface area of a Clapton, the fast ramp-up of a traditional coil, and the convenience of pre-made coils. Any of you intrigued?

I have not tried them yet. But i think it is a cool idea. I have heard that they have A really quick ramp up time and it is best to use in TC mode. But like I said before I have not tried them yet so IDK for sure...

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
As I said earlier I disagree with that compair since to get the same result you would have had a coil to which your nr-leads would have been welded touching the part that gets hot for some mms.

I've ready your earlier posts and I'm currently looking at an NR-R-NR coil from 2013. I don't see how the NR and R aren't touching, as you say.

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
Sorry, should have been more detailed.
The wires DO touch from the joint, but in NR-R-NR-coil the NR-lead doesn't lay, EVEN for fractions of millimeters against the heating part where as with the Notch the NR-part touches the heating "barrel" for considerable lenght, would quess around 1 mm or more before it bends downwards.
As I said I honestly don't know if this is an potential issue or does something leach from the weld into e-juice.
I wish someone could answer, equally happy to be told silly and worrying if the sky falls.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
I thought you were a reviewer?

The manufacturer states the legs are "soldered". Not a weld like Nr-R-Nr.

Its not the same thing. Its a safety issue.

Please do not mislead members by distorting the information.

No need for the attitude. Are you saying there are not both soldered and welded NR-R-NR coils? I have certainly seen the former.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
Nr-R-Nr coils are spark welded. No solder.
You cant do that with SS.

That doesn't negate anything I said. Read again, please.

No one in their right mind would vape solder.

People vape a lot of things they probably shouldn't.

Know your gear.

I try to. I don't claim to know everything, nor do I give people attitude if I disagree with them or know something they don't. Know some manners.

Anyway, since you won't discus this in a polite manner, good day and good luck.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
On a more productive note, the first Notch Coil I've used has gone through 30ml of e-liquid (Five Pawns Symmetry Six) after a week and is still quite usable. Obviously the e-liquid content matters, but it looks like I'll be able to get at least another week out of it. Eventually, I will try it with a NET e-liquid to see how it behaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread