The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Basen Black 10A 700mAh 18350 Bench Test Results...overrated 7A battery, but good

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Sep 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    These cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Basen. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This Basen has an exaggerated current rating and is only a 7A cell. But its capacity rating is accurate and it is a good performing 18350. I am giving this cell a maximum vaping amps (MVA) rating of 10A but the performance isn't good at this level..

The 18350/18500 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulse-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 5A continuous it reached about 675mAh. This is great performance for a 700mAh cell at 5A so I am rating this cell at 700mAh.
    • At 10A continuous the temperature rose to 55°C. This is below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR) but the voltage is sagging significantly. This indicates that we are operating above its true rating.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 37°C but the voltage quickly collapsed. This indicates that we are operating at way above its true rating.
    • I am setting a CDR of 7A for this cell. At above this level the voltage sag is just too severe. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 7A continuous.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350/18500 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

• Like Like x 3
  2. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So if I'm getting this correctly, these cells didn't get very hot at all - barely warm in fact - in your testing, and that's because the voltage sags so severely at such a low load that the temperature doesn't have time to rise very high? I think I'm not only getting information on specific batteries but actually learning a lot about how cells work. Or I'm getting it all wrong :) In either case, I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride (I'm weird in that I'm much, much more interested in the process of learning things than actually retaining that knowledge...)

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

3. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Yes. These very high internal resistance batteries typically just collapse in voltage when driven beyond their ratings. This causes a regulated mod to stop firing or a mech user to stop vaping. This shorter vaping time then limits the temperature rise even though the current level might be significantly above the battery's rating.

I wouldn't try to depend on that as a safety practice though. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. SpartaIsYourGod

SpartaIsYourGod New Member

Nov 24, 2016
    debon, uk.
    so what is the rating of these batteries? and any idea on how to work this out mooch like im really trying but everything seems overly complex lol

5. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Check my 18350 ratings table. The link to all my ratings tables is in my signature.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.