Basic, basic, basics for building a coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Now this isn't about pretty, perfect, crazy, or any other sum such! This is just to show how little you really need, and how simple it can really be to make a coil with just things you have lying around the house and handy!
I used some 28ga Kanthal, fingernail clippers, tweezers, the little blue screwdriver (that comes with most atomizers) and a cotton ball, that's it!
This is an Omega dripper, not the easiest to build on, but it was handy.
Now to see if Imgur wants to play nice!
The tools, atty and materials used today.

I apologize in advance, Imgur is NOT playing nice tonight! If you can't see the imuage try clicking on the gear icon.
Use the clippers and cut off a piece of wire around 6" long.

Reactions: ModGuyMike

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Now, we are going to get two uses from the screwdriver, a screwdriver on the atty, and a coil winder!
Start to wrap the coil.

I'm shooting for 1.4 Ohm's, I've done it enough I've got a rough idea of 12 wraps. You can go to steamengine.org and enter in the diameter and wire gauge to get a close resistance. Here's the rough coil, don't worry if it's not perfect, we can clean it up.
Terrible pick of a rough coil.

Use your fingernails and squeeze it together.

Still not beautiful, but usable.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Now use the screwdriver to hold the coil and get the legs in the posts.

Then trim or break off the excess leads. Again, this isn't the easiest deck and I couldn't get the clippers very close, but it works. If I were building a dual coil I would trim them better, but for this purpose, you get the idea.

Now peel off a piece of cotton, twist one end and feed it through the coil. Again, not pretty, but vapable.

Then tuck the cotton into the atty, and in this case push the coil down in front of the air hole.

Now, you can do this before wicking, but like I said I have a rough idea, so I'll check now. You can use a DVM, a regulated mod or a 521 tab as I used so it's easier to see.

1.6, not a bad guess! Next time I'd do a 10 wrap and probably hit 1.3 Ohm's.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
This both excites and scares me. HAHA. Am I correct then that the tighter you wrap it, the lower your resistance will be? Or do I have it backwards?
Exactly, the smaller the diameter of the coil and less wraps equals higher resistance.
Normally my coils are twice that diameter, around 2.5mm, and I only need 7 wraps around it.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Does thicker wire make it better? Help me learn the ways!
Thicker wire is less resistance, the lower the resistance the more watts and more vapor you produce.
It's for cloud chasers. I've got some 24ga SS, five wraps around 3.5mm is around .5ohms.
Needless to say he's being a smart aleck about it!

Reactions: LadyVapentine

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
Thicker wire is less resistance, the lower the resistance the more watts and more vapor you produce.
It's for cloud chasers. I've got some 24ga SS, five wraps around 3.5mm is around .5ohms.
Needless to say he's being a smart aleck about it!
You earned that, though!

See, is there a way to make coils for mtl vapers like me? I'm not quite there yet, but I'd like to be able to make my own coils in the future.

WATCH OUT WORLD!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
You earned that, though!

See, is there a way to make coils for mtl vapers like me? I'm not quite there yet, but I'd like to be able to make my own coils in the future.

WATCH OUT WORLD!
Yes, the build I showed in this thread is just for MTL. Most find 1.2-2.0ohms is just right for tootle puffing. Say in a Kayfun lite, Squape, etc, or a small chambered RDA.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I will post just so you know I did read the thread. LOL Good read, just wish the pics were a little bigger. :)

OT. I was born in Wichita and still have family there. What parts are you in?
Glad you read it, thank you! Sorry about the pics, cell phone.
I'm just outside of Wichita in Rose Hill, straight South of Andover, straight East of Derby, if that helps!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Glad you read it, thank you! Sorry about the pics, cell phone.
I'm just outside of Wichita in Rose Hill, straight South of Andover, straight East of Derby, if that helps!
I know exactly where that is. Small world.
I have family in ElDorado and east Wichita. I would have went to SE high except we moved all over the country when I was growing up. When I was born my family was in Haysville and I still remember the 'big ditch'
LOL
:)

Reactions: sawlight

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I know exactly where that is. Small world.
I have family in ElDorado and east Wichita. I would have went to SE high except we moved all over the country when I was growing up. When I was born my family was in Haysville and I still remember the 'big ditch'
LOL
Yeah, anyone around here knows that stupid ditch!
Showing my age, my wife graduated from SE in '88.
I dated a couple of "interesting girls" from Haysville back in the day!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Yeah, anyone around here knows that stupid ditch!
Showing my age, my wife graduated from SE in '88.
I dated a couple of "interesting girls" from Haysville back in the day!
LOL. I've got a 'few' years on your wife, so I'll leave it at that. A lady never reveals her true age. So, I guess I consider you'all youngins?

Reactions: sawlight

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Here's some pics for ya :)
image.jpg

Parallel 24g came out to .28
image.jpg