Basic Battery Suggestions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

KailaCart

May 22, 2017
I've recently purchased a gx350 kit, and a king beast tank. When I bought the set up I bought 4 IMREN 3.7v 3000mAH 40A batteries to go along with it. I'd like to buy another set... I've found some high drain ones through amazon LAVAFOX 3000mAH 3.7v 40A, and I'm considering buying them as well.

I generally vape between 80-210 depending if I'm running the Cloud Beast, or the King.

Has anyone heard of theses batteries? Used them in this particular mod? Have an idea as to whether or not they'd work (I don't see why they wouldn't) ?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Orbtronic has great batteries that are authentic, they are cheaper than Amazon. They also send a free case for every pair you buy. Your 3000mah 40amp battery is overrated so be careful. Stick with Samsung, LG, or Sony when you buy batteries. Get either the LG hg2's or Samsung 30q's because they are priced the best($5) at orbtronic. Again stay away from the lavafox batteries, they are overrated and if you can't trust the rating the factory gives them I wouldn't trust anything else about them.

Reactions: Tonee N

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I've recently purchased a gx350 kit, and a king beast tank. When I bought the set up I bought 4 IMREN 3.7v 3000mAH 40A batteries to go along with it. I'd like to buy another set... I've found some high drain ones through amazon LAVAFOX 3000mAH 3.7v 40A, and I'm considering buying them as well.

I generally vape between 80-210 depending if I'm running the Cloud Beast, or the King.

Has anyone heard of theses batteries? Used them in this particular mod? Have an idea as to whether or not they'd work (I don't see why they wouldn't) ?

1) Both brands of batteries you have listed are:
A) B or C Bin Discards from the big manufacturers that didn't pass muster to get their manufacturer name passed and put on, then bought up by a second hand (re-wrapper reseller), a new wrap placed on them, then the re-wrapper over specs the amp limit on them with the pulse limit, we suggest the continuous discharge limit, thus 40a re-wrap is a 20amp CDR battery in truth, so not a trustworthy battery (*AHEM* those IMRen)
B) Lavafox, never heard of them, nor is Amazon a trustworthy battery outlet, so, guess what, worse than the re-wrap is a cloned battery, which I am suspecting those Lavafox are, again, not safe to use near your face

Big 4 manufacturers, are LG, Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic/Sanyo, which if you shop right and smart, you can get a name brand A Bin Spec battery for half that a re-wrap will cost so can get 2 batteries for the price of one re-wrap

2) Using your listed watt range and using for regulated mods the formula
(Watts Set/Lowest Battery Voltage Before Mod Shutdown)/Mod Control Board Efficiency Rating = Amps Needed
Lowest Voltage on average per battery is about 3.2v, in series with 4 batteries we get 12.8v
Most mods from China, their control boards can take almost 10% of available power to function, leaving 90% reaching your coils we get

80watts/12.8v/90%=6.9444amps
210watts/12.8v/90%=18.2291amps

Any 20amp battery will suffice for those ranges giving you 3 choices really
Samsung 30Q 3000mah (15amp CDR Rated) 20amp CDR tested (Lavender color wrap)
Sony VTC6 3000mah (15amp CDR Rated) 19amp CDR tested (Pine Green color wrap)
LG HG2 3000mah (20amp CDR Rated) 18amp CDR Tested (Chocolate Brown color wrap)

290watts, to get there you would need
Sony VTC5A 2500mah 25amp CDR

345watts, to get there you would need
LG HB2, HB4, or HB6 1500mah 30amp CDR batteries <-- Nothing has a higher CDR in 18650 format than these 3 batteries here, anything else is a Pulse Discharge Rating that you do not know if the pulse is 1/2 second or 2 seconds, after that the battery has to shift down to CDR or overheat and risk venting or thermal runaway which is not where you want to be when it happens.

If in Canada/Mexico/USA, get batteries from these vendors which are trustworthy and most time "Authorized" battery resellers

illumn.com (Illumination Supply)
imrbatteries.com
Liionwholesale.com
orbtronic.com
RTDVapor.com

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Big 4 manufacturers, are LG, Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic/Sanyo, which if you shop right and smart, you can get a name brand A Bin Spec battery for half that a re-wrap will cost so can get 2 batteries for the price of one re-wrap

Drop Sony from that list as they no longer manufacture batteries (they sold their battery manufacturing arm to Murata last year). No more Sony batteries

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I bought some sony vtc5s the other day so would it be they were just selling out last of stock @retired1 ??

Most likely. I'm not aware of any estimates of how much stock is in the system before it all runs out. But there'll come a point where any new battery labeled as a Sony battery will be suspect as being a fake.

Reactions: Skold

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Hi KailaCart. Welcome to the ECF.

When looking at Battery Specs, what is important to us in the Constant Discharge Rate (CDR).

Some Retailers/OEM's will say that a Battery is rated at something like 40 Amps. But that is a Pulse Rating. And there Isn't a clear consensus of How Long a Pulse is?

3 Seconds?
1.5 Seconds?
.5 Seconds?
Unknown?

A Very Knowledgeable ECF Member Mooch has done a Lot of Battery Testing. And has put together a Chart of the Results/Recommendations.

img_4813-jpg.643937

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Last thing. It is Critical when buying a New Battery that you buy it from someone who is Knowledgeable/Reputable

The Retailers that IMFfire3605 listed are All Good Choice to buy from.

Reactions: Eskie

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Don't vape at <200 watts with an unknown Amazon battery. Your safety comes first.

You say "I don't see why they wouldn't (work)".... which is kind of terrifying. They won't be 40a batteries, they could be 7a batteries and then... well... no, your mod is not going to work if the chip is doing the job intended to protect you.

Your Imrens are reported to be 17a batteries, by the way... so go steady. I don't know how far 4 x 17a batteries will take you in your GX350... since there are 4, maybe 200w is safe.

Either way Lavafox is a big NO. Please don't even consider it.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Drop Sony from that list as they no longer manufacture batteries (they sold their battery manufacturing arm to Murata last year). No more Sony batteries

Until I see definitive tests showing decreases in specs by Mooch or another battery tester, the point is taken but have to consider the VTC5A and VTC6 are still two of the best batteries on the market right now, the VTC3, VTC4, and older VTC5 of old, yes I'd highly suspect those are clones or starting into the B to C Bin quality grade to begin with right now.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Until I see definitive tests showing decreases in specs by Mooch or another battery tester, the point is taken but have to consider the VTC5A and VTC6 are still two of the best batteries on the market right now, the VTC3, VTC4, and older VTC5 of old, yes I'd highly suspect those are clones or starting into the B to C Bin quality grade to begin with right now.
Wouldn't the VTC4 be more A/B bin since they aren't newer? Just asking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Okay, thanks for all the advice! I've cancelled the order for the imren, and am placing one with Orbtronic. I'm going with the HB6, and the VTC6
Good choices and orbtronic ships pretty fast. My recent order got from Florida to Chicago with my order placed on Friday morning and I received them today Monday.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. I have provided a little more information which might help choosing/evaluating batteries.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
A Guide to Safe Charging - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
Guide to Choosing a Battery Charger | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: zoiDman

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Wouldn't the VTC4 be more A/B bin since they aren't newer? Just asking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

The VTC4 being around less time than the VTC3 and longer than the older VTC5, and given all 3 have had their shaky reliability of availability (being cloned, original manufacturing plant caught in the earthquake that led to Fukushima Nuclear plant damaged, rumors and talk of Sony selling off their battery section, statements that Sony has stopped production on all 3 older battery models for at least 2 to 4 years now) I doubt there are many A Bin VTC4 in stock. I've stopped suggesting them except in rare cases, though one of my favorite batteries, I just, hard to say it, but with newer and better batteries on the market, hard to suggest them all the time anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread