beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Is there anything on that particular page re prolonging battery life
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
that you guys think is false or misconstrued?
Last I cared to check that page, the life cycle increases were severely bloated and capacity retention was marginally bloated as per several members of RCgroups, URC and other RC sites who tested the various ways and logged well over 600 batteries through their entire life spans.

Other than that, I can't recall and won't be able to check for days at least.

Tapatyped

Reactions: puffon

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
I think the charge cycle count is closer to 200-300 charges than it is 500. You could probably get 500 but with severely reduced performance.

A good rule of thumb is to probably scrap your batteries after 6 months of continuous use. This may be conservative but batteries are $5-7 a piece. Not going to break the bank to replace a few every half a year.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
... and charge them on the lowest amperage your time will allow. Easier on the built in flux capacitor ... or so I'm told.
I have batteries that have been tested and confirmed to hold up best when charged @ 2C with no difference in battery health throughout their life when 1C and 5C exclusive charging are compared.

Tapatyped

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
How long a battery lasts depends on how hard you push them to a large degree.
If you use a 20 amp CDR battery mostly at 20 amps then it will not last as long as if you use it at 10 amps or less.

Batteries are mystical things. Electron incantations and all that stuff are required for maximum life.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I usually use them for about 6 months, after that they get demoted to flashlight batteries and I buy new ones, 20$ every 6 months for 4 batteries isn't that expensive when you think about it, at about the 5 month point I'll order more from fasttech, when six months arrives they should be here. If you don't have a 18650 flashlight get one ^__^

$6.44 UltraFire SH98 LED Flashlight w/ Focus Zoom - 1-LED / 3-Mode / 910LM / 1*18650 / clip at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
I work in a shop where cordless lighting can be helpful and it's the perfect retirement job for older 18650's but I'm too lazy to shop for one but wait, I buy from Fastech every few months and they have em. I'll have to check now. Since it's for work I can justify a nice one.

According to my coil calculator I'm never asking for more than about 5 amps, a fraction of what the HG2's I favor are supposed to be able to tolerate. The guidance I've heard about quality cell phone batteries is after 400 full discharge and recharge cycles they are 50% depleted. I've also read that Li batteries prefer to be recharged slowly. My phone has a fast charging option that can be turned off. I keep it turned off unless there is an urgent reason to do otherwise.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Do you also need to rest mods with built in batteries? Should you use them until low battery indicator goes on or start recharging them earlier?
Your second question has interested me too and I've found no definitive answer yet. I'm fairly compulsive about charging. I have charging at home, in the car and at work. Most of my waking hours my phone and mod are connected to a charger and topped off. Does that habit reduce battery endurance faster? I don't know.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Do you also need to rest mods with built in batteries? Should you use them until low battery indicator goes on or start recharging them earlier?
If it gets warm, sure, give it a rest just in case. But as a rule, no.

Charge them whenever is convenient. It won't damage the batteries.

Tapatyped

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Hey!

I bought 12 batteries, and two box mods, and use one regularly, a 150w Sigelei. I've had them since September 2015, and although I do not have a way of checking their voltage, I do note that they seem to require more frequent charging.

Plan to buy a battery charger with a voltage readout in 1st Qtr of 2016, along with a dozen new 18650s.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread