Battery advice please3x 18650 reloudna 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Yes the thought this was true that RX is doing 250 w. Again though I understand this watt thing, but it is simple n I just need the basics. Can I just ask the question? Since it isn't referee to. dna 200 holds max capacity of 55 amp correct? This being the case, the lg 2 should work fine with this amp loadage requirement. In that I have to have 20 x3 for 60 amps approximate. I'm not using the RX though I'd like to. My conclusion thanks to u is greatly helped thou I 4get the details. But it remains much unchanged. So can anybody help prevent me from blowing myself up by answering my question?

The DNA200 and RX200 versions are a "Series" battery configuration, which in simplest terms equals, voltage x number of batteries, mah of single battery, cdr amp limit of a single battery. Examples: Samsung 25R (20amp CDR, 2500mah, 4.2v fresh charge) (2x batteries in series) 8.4v, 2500mah, 20amp CDR, (3x batteries in series) 12.6v, 2500mah, 20amp CDR.

I see the detail sheet here and what you are looking at of 50 and 55amp
Output Current, continuous 50.0Amps
Output Current, instantaneous peak 55.0Amps <---- This right here is a marvel of electronic current converters (booster chips) generally a lot of times done in PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) the chip is between the input source (the batteries) and the output signal to the atomizer, something goes wrong it is the chipset board that suffers here, not the batteries

That is after the booster circuit in the board itself, what you need to look at is the input
Input Voltage
Volts
Volts
Volts
Input Current Minimum.5Amps Median9.0 Amps Max23.0Amps <--- Right here, what the batteries have to supply is what you need to focus on, the signal before it hits the DNA board.

JBrentonK

Oct 2, 2015
So now I'm kinda confused, u say they saying it says 23 amp per cell but ( sry I'm nub!) Is that right? It pulls that much from them? Really... Despite being max 50/55 max amp 20x3 is 60!! Thus I had to ask mate. How does that come into the avg. buyers choices? Me. I can't figure out how the 23.9999 amp would be got, I mean I've never seen a trusted 25 amp battery for instance, I'd really like it if the dna 200s could be easy to understand not complications uponst impossibles. I'm just norm guy needing to know y the 50/55 isn't met by the 60 total amp. It pulls 23.9999 from them all yes? Basically wat ur saying. So to be safe I must in effect be smart!!! There should b no questionnid have to buy some of these rare '25 amp batts' ( never seen 1). Yes, so I decide to say , f it, I accept getting blown up, and thank these idiotic mabuefacturs. Hey the though IMfire for the warning in advance.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Simple Watts Law will tell you your answer.

200watts/9.0v (3batteries 3v each at lowest charge state before cutoff)=22.2222amps
200watts/9.6v (3xbatteries 3.2v each)=20.8333amps
Wattage/Lowest Battery Charge=Amps (you can go further and divide that by 0.9 (90% Mod Efficiency), but basic watts law gets you into the ball park of safety with at least 10% safety overhead.

LG HG2 Batteries are rated and 20amps CDR (Safest Rating the entire charge) at 35amps PDR (Short Pulse Discharge)
My RX200 the Wismec Made Board Brother to the DNA200 version, 100watts /w 3 HG2 Married batteries I get about 1 1/2 to 2days on a charge, the DNA200 version is quite similar in run time I hear.
Sorry, pet peeve of mine. it's "Ohm's law" Georg Ohm - Biography, Facts and Pictures I've seen this listed as "watts law" too many times, it's confusing for people that are trying to learn it and understand it. Not trying to bash or berate you, just trying to correct it for what it is.
As for the OP, I'm out. I don't care for the comments made so I chose not to add to that.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
So you (and others) prefer people to blow themselfs up. Don't lie, mate. I've tried as best as possible to limit the comments to one question. You don't see that.
Quite the opposite, I'm a battery safety Nazi. My rule of thumb is figure out what you need, then ad 20% for just in case.
I don't use multiple battery mods, or flashlights anymore because I've seen them go wrong too many times.
I've used mech mods since 2009 and have yet to have one battery issue, but I hear daily about how dangerous they are.
Yes, you have made the case, over and over, but chose not to listen to advice given.
IF you chose to go this path, which I advise against, buy THE highest amperage battery you can get.
IF you chose to go this path, MARRY those batteries, meaning you label them, charge and discharge them equally.
IF you chose to ignore these suggestions, I can't help you.
Multi battery mods take a LOT more care and feeding than people give them credit for. Because they have all these built in protections people feel safe and get complacent with them. Quite the opposite is true! Put an old worn out battery in one, with one or two fresh batteries and it's a ticking time bomb!
But most people don't want to hear that, and most people are to busy with other things to realize it's a quarter stick of dynamite waiting to blow up.
Yeah, I know a bit about mods, I know a bit about batteries, and YES, I care a LOT!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
OK, allowing for sag, we have roughly 11.1v to work with, right?
So with 11.1V (that's off 12.6v fully charged batteries) at 200 watts that's .6 ohms at 18 amps.
Now for SAGS, I plugged in 11.1v, allowing for sag, and .3 ohms for the coil. I get 410.7 watts and 37 amps. At this point, the mod is in regulation and only going to 200 watts, in theory (I'm hating this word lately!) so we should, in theory, only ever see 18-20 amps, as long as the mod does it's thing.
So, a 20-30 amp battery, obviously the higher the safer, battery cdr is the ticket. Figure in the 20% factor, a 30 amp battery is your baby if you wish to push it.
I have an Eleaf Istick Pico, I use Sony VCT5's, but it's a rare occasion I go over 35 watts. I know my mod, I know my needs, I know my batteries, make sense now?

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
In my less than stable state, reading though this thread, it seems many are seeing it's a series mod, but forgetting how that works. In series we add voltage, but maintain amperage. In a parallel mod we maintain voltage and double amperage. I think that's where the issue lies.
Take a diesel truck, it uses two 12v batteries, nothing ever sees anything beyond the 12v the batteries provide, but hit the switch and the starter rocks right over with the high compression engine! It's doubled the amperage, leaving the voltage the same.
With this mod, we are in series, we go from 4.2, to 8.4, to 12.6 volts, but we limit the amperage to the weakest battery in the circuit. Meaning if we have two 30 amp batteries, and one 12 amp battery, the 12 amp battery is going to blow up!
This is why it's so important to Marry the batteries to the mod.
OP, I'm trying here, I promise.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The Reuleaux's never draw more than 25A from the batteries...ever. Even at 200W. The DNA200 only draws 23A maximum.
    The 55A of current comes from the regulator, not the battery. The batteries never have to supply more than 25A.

No battery is safe as there is a bit of risk when using any battery in any aplication at any power level. But the LG HG2 can be used in the Reuleaux's at up to 200W without problems. Samsung 25R's can also be used but really aren't any safer. And 25R's have 500mAh less capacity.

You can use LG HG2's in the Reuleaux's. Many people are doing so without problems.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 31, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Yes wismec reaolou sry don't know spelling.dna200 device I'm wanting one but as I am big on battery safety I need to know can I safely go with the 3000 mah hg2s?(the brown 1). That would be great info to know. Exactly how safe it is w hg2s. If not I can alwatlys buy 25rs instead. If u sincerely believe I need 3 30 amp vtc4s I am asking after all!!

So thx, how safe is it, and is it able to pull the batt life real well at high watts (my vt200 don't). U never know how much I appericiate this.

N do u know any super best cheap e juice. Ran into the popular Forged ejuice 60 mils 15$! Sold at top $ stores . so. Found white label juice co it is prolly the #1 cheap juice I've tried n the rainbow she rbert tastes exactly like r bow sherbert. Omg. N cinamon roll is good. I heard some ppl found sum good ones.

Thx guys
    Put 3 good batts in and vape. It's very simple.

sawlight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    The Reuleaux's never draw more than 25A from the batteries...ever. Even at 200W. The DNA200 only draws 23A maximum.
    The 55A of current comes from the regulator, not the battery. The batteries never have to supply more than 25A.

No battery is safe as there is a bit of risk when using any battery in any aplication at any power level. But the LG HG2 can be used in the Reuleaux's at up to 200W without problems. Samsung 25R's can also be used but really aren't any safer. And 25R's have 500mAh less capacity.

You can use LG HG2's in the Reuleaux's. Many people are doing so without problems.
    Kinda what I was trying to get at myself. But this whole thread seems to have been a cluster! Thank you @Mooch.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Obviously u care. The questions still valid. Y are more then 60 amps needed?

You seem confused.
    3 - 20a CDR batteries in series do not supply 60 amps.

Like I & others have said,
    The evolve dna 200 has an input current of 23a maximum.
    Input = from the batteries to the chip.
    This means a maximum of 23a will be drawn from the batteries to supply the chip/regulator.
    There is no way the normal person can ensure all 3 batteries inside the power device always drain equally or predict if some type of malfunction with the battery sled or wiring takes place inside the power device.
    Folks recommend high drain high CDR batteries because sometimes stuff happens.

The DNA200 has an instantaneous peak output current of of 55a maximum.
    Output = from the chip/regulator to the delivery device, the batteries never see or are effected by this load.

Again, VTC 4's are not 30a cdr cells, never have been.

Because of the amount of fake/counterfeit LG Hg2, just me, I'd use Samsung 30Q 3000mah or AW 3000mah.
    Chose one brand from Mooch's list of batteries he has tested.
    Any of those reputable name brand 20a CDR cells that blows your skirt up will work.

If you think choosing batteries for a multi battery power device is confusing or frustrating wait until you start learning to use escribe to set up & utilize the features of the dna 200.

Last edited:

JBrentonK

Oct 2, 2015
    Sawlight I thank u for trying, to exp to me every little detail I'll need. But I yes have been paying more attention then u know to battery safety u miss that laddie.

So I can think to myself , yea, 9000 mah son , yah, and still not die? Yes so its safe yea just should just side with the vtc4s (wtf is the dude doing saying these rnt 30 amp batts? Lol). Yes I'll use prolly 30 amp batts for a "safety mode". So now my only q is based on if the lg as Mr mooch says can be used at 200 wats safely when they fully charged or not , and also if y he would say that since, most ppl want this 9000 in the dna hek they paid 200$ for this. Can mooch tell us y we would ever use the vtc4 s in this dna 200? Or, is not likely to ever be told how and or y to stay safe? Looks like the general public Prefers to watch other ppl blow up. True fact yall

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I seriously doubt that you will be using your RX200 above 150 watts. :eek:

Up to 120 watts, any of the true 20 amp (continuous discharge rate) IMR/INR batteries by AW, LG, Samsung, or Sony will offer relatively safe use.

If you absolutely want to use a true 30 amp battery (in case you can vape over 150 watts), I suggest the following batteries. You'll be sacrificing capacity (mAh) to get the true 30 amps continuous:

LG HB2 30A 1500mAh 18650
    LG HB2 30A 1500mAh 18650 Retest Results...a great 30A battery, about equal to VTC3

LG HB4 Brown 30A 1500mAh 18650
    LG HB4 30A 1500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a fantastic 30A battery, beats HB6 when pulsed!

LG HB4 Mustard 30A 1500mAh 18650
    LG HB4 "Mustard" 30A 1500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great 30A battery, better than brown HB4

LG HB6 Ivory 30A 1500mAh 18650
    LG HB6 30A 1500mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...a fantastic cool-running true 30A battery, but low capacity

Personally, I use the LG HG2 3000mah 20A batteries in my RX200, but I'm only vaping at 30 - 40 watts.

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod

Battery Mooch is our resident battery expert here on ECF. What he has to say about batteries and safety is gospel in the vaping community.

So how should you choose a battery to get both the most power for your mod and still be safe? Either go by the continuous discharge rating (CDR) or find a reviewer that tests batteries beyond the CDR and records temperatures to know when it becomes unsafe. But for longer battery life, consider running your batteries below their CDR. It adds a greater safety margin as the batteries age and lets them run cooler.

Mooch has set up a table of safety "grades" for all the batteries he has tested to date. This table shows you what discharge current levels are safe and which might be dangerous for each battery. It can be used as part of choosing which battery might be best for you:

18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With

For more detailed information on the batteries he's tested, here's a list of links to the results of each test:

List of Battery Tests

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread