Battery arcing

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Every mechanical mod arcs. The only difference is with a REO, you can see it.
If you're not keeping your positive contact and your batteries clean, your mod will eventually start to misfire .

I am not a electrical engineer. These are things I have learned over time. Every time your positive contact breaks connection with your battery, it arcs. This leaves black spots on your battery and on your positive contact. In mild cases you can't even see it. If you're not cleaning your contacts, the black marks build up to a point the positive contact isn't making a good connection with your battery. Picture two plates of glass stacked one on top of the other. Sprinkle sand on top of one plate of glass and try stacking the other on top of it. The plates of glass wont lie flat on each other the sand keeps them from doing this . The sand acts just like the black spots on your battery and positive contact.

A white pen eraser works great on contacts. There is enough abrasion there to remove any residue without damaging your contacts. Do this to your positive contact and the top of your batteries followed by a Q-tip with alcohol . Apply Noalox or Deoxit to your positive contact. I never run my mod without using Noalox or Deoxit and I never have problems. Because I never run my mod without Noalox or Deoxit I have never had to clean my contacts with anything more then a Q-tip with some alcohol.

The Noalox or Deoxit forms a barrier so the arcing isn't leaving residue on your contacts.

The lower in ohms you vape, the more maintenance you will have to do. I run a 1.0 ohm coil; once a month works perfect for me. If you're running a .5 ohm coil, you will need to do it more often.

My favorite is Deoxit Gold with the brush applicator; a little pricey but it will last a life time. You can buy it in smaller tubes as well.
http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITGOLD-Li...e=UTF8&qid=1426258348&sr=8-11&keywords=deoxit

Noalox: if you're on a budget. I also sell it on my site.
Ideal 30-024 Noalox Anti-Oxidant Compound .5 oz. Tube

There are some guys here in the forum with a background in the electrical field . I have left this thread open. Feel free to add your input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Fully agree with this. Arcing will always happen. The difference is only where. With the Reo, the switch contact point is at the positive end of the battery. On some tube mods, such as Nemesis, Stingray, Paps, with bottom buttons, the positive end of the battery is in constant contact, and the switch point is at the negative end of the battery. On side button mods, such as the Poldiac or Roller, both battery ends are in constant contact, and the switch point is internal, within the switch. This is where arcing will occur, even though it's hidden from the eye.
Compared to some of the afore mentioned mods, especially the side button ones, maintenance and cleanliness is pretty easy with a Reo. No mod has yet been invented that is maintenance free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Welp, the timing of this thread couldn't be better. I was just going to message you Rob about buying some new firing pins. I've been noticing decreased performance with 3 of my grands. I took them apart today and I've apparently worn off the gold on all three firing pins where the pins meet the battery. I thought I was doing maintenance often enough, once a month with the white eraser and alchohol, but apparently that wasn't enough for .5 ohm builds. I always apply noalox, never miss that step, but without proper maintenance the noalox wasn't enough to prevent the damage. Heed the maintenance advice folks!

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
I'm not an engineer but I am an electronics technician with 25+ years in electronics manufacturing. I've been using Deoxit Gold religiously on all gold electrical contacts for products we send all over the world and its greatly reduced the number of electrical parts returned for issues related to poor electrical contact.

So naturally, when I started vaping and using REOs I started using it on the contact switch and noticed significant improvement and longevity in performance.

I Vape my REO at .5 ohm (and sometimes hotter). I dab both ends of my battery with a lint free Deoxit wetted cloth every battery change and to be honest I can't remeber the last time I broke out the white eraser and did a thorough maintenance. I just haven't had any problems as long as I've followed that routine.

All my REOs have the upgraded contacts. :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Here, This vid might also help :) I just shot it and if you scrub past the feed tube V notch it is entirely about cleaning your contacts and batteries and applying deoxit to the gold stuff and noalox under the spring :)

direct youtube link: https://youtu.be/u9uuD46nmZI

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Like a friend's Dad used to say, "You take care of your car and your car will take care of you." Because of another thread in Reoville, I got a bottle of the Gold a few weeks back and am using it. Not noticing any big change but I'm preventing big future changes.��.

Thanks Rob. BTW, I really like the brush with the Gold. Easy Peazy.....

One question/observation. I put a tiny drop on both ends of all my batteries and then let me sit for a good long time. Even after a few hrs. the Gold droplet is still wet and I dry it off. Should I bother drying? (I use the AW's).

Last edited:

coaldriller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
West Virginia
Like a friend's Dad used to say, "You take care of your car and your car will take care of you." Because of another thread in Reoville, I got a bottle of the Gold a few weeks back and am using it. Not noticing any big change but I'm preventing big future changes.��.

Thanks Rob. BTW, I really like the brush with the Gold. Easy Peazy.....

One question/observation. I put a tiny drop on both ends of all my batteries and then let me sit for a good long time. Even after a few hrs. the Gold droplet is still wet and I dry it off. Should I bother drying? (I use the AW's).

I do the same with my aw's, but don't dry them. I just brush both ends and install. When I take the battery out to change it, it is still wet. I have had no troubles at all on any builds.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I do the same with my aw's, but don't dry them. I just brush both ends and install. When I take the battery out to change it, it is still wet. I have had no troubles at all on any builds.

I use the pen. I just 'color' each end of the battery, and install. I don't dry it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i don't go to that trouble with batteries because i go thru so many anyway.

If Noalox was the only compound in the universe it'd all get too messy. A little blob on the firing pin is all.

Not this: Polish your battery top and bottom with a pencil eraser and apply more Noalox.
3 hours later, take the battery out, wipe it with a paper towel, put more crap on another one - fit that in your Reo. Do not answer the phone. Or blow your nose.

Go into board meeting looking like an Apache warrior because you ignored ^.

Buy shares in Deoxit, but "it's a lifetime supply" means they expect you to die within 2 years.

T

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
i don't go to that trouble with batteries because i go thru so many anyway.

If Noalox was the only compound in the universe it'd all get too messy. A little blob on the firing pin is all.

Not this: Polish your battery top and bottom with a pencil eraser and apply more Noalox.
3 hours later, take the battery out, wipe it with a paper towel, put more crap on another one - fit that in your Reo. Do not answer the phone. Or blow your nose.

Go into board meeting looking like an Apache warrior because you ignored ^.

Buy shares in Deoxit, but "it's a lifetime supply" means they expect you to die within 2 years.

T

If all I did was apply a tiny dab of noalox to my firing pin I'd be sparking up a storm.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I've been applying the noalox to the button top of my batteries so I'm kind of at a loss as to how I toasted the firing pin contact. Maybe I'm not using enough. I guess I'll need to sit in a dark room and watch for arcing and add more noalox if I see arcing? Is it possible to use to much?

I don't think so - what i find happens is there's a delay between hitting 'fire' and getting a vape.

T

AllPepperS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Palm City, FL
Noob here, just got my Reo's. I did use the Noalox on them when I got them first set up. I just headed over to Amazon and ordered the pen. The little vials are handy if you run out and it's great Rob adds this in with a new one so you can get up and running right away. But you have something and that's the best part. Is it the easiest to use, no, but you can until you get the other stuff. Reo service at it's finest. I believe I will be staying in Reoville. I'm looking for threads like this to learn from. I haven't watched all of Russ' videos yet.

You put some Noalox under the spring? Over the finish?

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
You put some Noalox under the spring? Over the finish?

Generally, you just use a bit on the spring itself (and the other parts), although some folks remove the spring and remove the finish underneath it, so it makes better contact with the actual body. It's a good idea, if you do that, to put some noalox there. It's also good to put some on the threads of the screw that holds the spring in place.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Based on Rob the mod fathers recommendation I got this in the mail yesterday. I ordered it from his link. I like it better than the pen :)

79b0543754c40fc618fd50456b6c9f97.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread