battery charge level

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by yolo_, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. yolo_

yolo_ Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I have some batterys that are about a year old and are only charging up to 4.15 instead of 4.2 but they still work ok. So when do i need to retire them? They are 14500 batteries in case that matters.

2. Krazirob

Krazirob Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

i keep them until they won't charge past 3.8 The best way the mitigate them from going bad like this is to not let them go below 3v of charge before charging....

3. Filthy-Beast

Filthy-Beast Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I say it really depends on how quickly they drop from 4.15 to 3.5.

4. yolo_

yolo_ Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Half of bottle of juice and then i change them unless i forget, So sometimes they get below 3.5

5. supertrunker

supertrunker Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    FB is right - i am going thru my usual rotation of batteries because some of them are dead in about 2 hours although they all charge ok. Those 'sagging' batteries are destined for the trash, when i find them.

Short of using them and seeing how they perform i have not come up with a satisfactory way of measuring them, either with a multimeter or by how well they charge that allows me to predict their behaviour. So it's suck it and see!

T

6. pdib

pdib Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

When I was doing v-drop tests and modding, I threw an older batt into the REO for kicks. It's pretty obvious if you meter it under load. Lots of internal resistance showed up. I was getting something like a .3V drop with new batteries (.4Ω coil) and the 8 mo. old MNKEs were more like .7-.8V. So, may I suggest putting meter leads on your atty posts and firing the mod. That'll diagnose those mysterious battery innards. :p

7. supertrunker

supertrunker Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Every test i have seen that has done that, has been for milliseconds - quick, hit it - get a reading and stop. Is there any reason for this?

Or can i just sit there with my fire button pressed and the meter leads on the atty pins?

T

8. pdib

I usually do it for about 3-4 seconds. The initial burst is misleadingly high. The voltage seems to settle out about 3 seconds into it.

my MM has a 10A limit. I imagine that would apply to this situation. If I were to blow the fuse in the MM, I would have to replace that.

9. ChrisEU

ChrisEU Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The current is not going through the multimeter - you can fire all day with the leads on the posts - in voltage mode of the MM.
    The 10 amps limit usually relates to amperage metering, where you put the MM in series with the atomizer to measure the actual amperage through the coil.

10. pdib

ah yes, that's right. Thanks Chris. Happy NoThanksgivingForYouDay! :)

It's one of those things where if it's not in my hands, it's not in my brain either.

11. ChrisEU

Happy overeating yourself!

12. pdib

Hah! silly European! I'm not overeating myself! i'm overeating a turkey. (no wonder we have to spy on you guys, you'd be lost without us)

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo totally JK

13. ChrisEU

Turkeys are overate!

God, it's awful to pun in a foreign language =)
    Oh, and I usually refer to your spy kids as my external backup, just in case. They even use german software, I wonder if they reversed the newest release before installing it...

14. MamaTried

MamaTried Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

this is coming from the land of Bratwurst? :)

15. ChrisEU

At least we don't have those for breakfast... unless we have leather allergy.

... every time I wake up in the morning and feel bad, I still have my shoes on - must be allergic to leather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.