battery charger making high pitched whine....?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by gmoney$, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmoney$

gmoney$ Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Its a cheap 2 bay trustfire -- I've already ordered a nitecore and am planning on using the trustfire as a backup. But I loaded my 18650 in it and it's making a very audible whine. Is this reason to be concerned (or downright terrified?) or just normal?

2. glycerol

glycerol Senior Member ECF Veteran

Well, my original Joyetech eGo charger does the same since day one. That's why I charge overnight in a ceramic pot just in case.

3. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    That's been reported for a long time with (blank)Fire chargers. It doesn't appear to indicate any real problem, but it makes those 12 hour charge times even more annoying.

4. Butters78

Butters78 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Being so in love with vaping, the high pitch whine is a siren's song to me.

5. fundoodman

fundoodman Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have the same charger and it has done that ever since I got it almost 2 years ago. I was actually going to mention it on here, so great question. I've never had a problem. Mine seems worse when you first put a battery in it and then the noise slowly tapers off as it charges longer.

6. gmoney$

thanks, 'preciate the replies. Yeah, it is less now than before, still audible though. I feel better but not comfortable enough to leave it charging overnight.

7. gmoney$

on the subject of charging, I don't have any metering equipment ... am I in the danger zone as far as not knowing whether I've overdrained the battery prior to charging? I'm using Ego T 18650 and anyvape 18350 battery tubes with Ego T and Evic Easy heads.

8. WarHawk-AVG

WarHawk-AVG Vaping Master ECF Veteran

It's either capacitor whine or coil noise

Coil noise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Computer people and anyone working with electronics and coils wrapped on ferrite beads for transformers know this sound all to well...

It shouldn't be a problem...other than being annoying as heck!

It is fixable...but ONLY by someone who knows about electronics and knows what they are doing!!! (aka putting a dab of clear nail polish in the coil which soaks in, dries and binds the coil so it doesn't vibrate)

[​IMG]
    Big yellow thing...coil

9. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    The Ego-T 2 heads have the same low battery protection circuitry as any Joyetech 510 or eGo battery: it shuts the device off when the battery voltage has dropped to 3.2 volts.

Not sure about the Evic head.

10. Laythor

Laythor Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    The whine isnt going to cause anything to explode, it's just a sign of less then top notch build quality. It doesnt mean poor build quality, just less then the best.

11. WarHawk-AVG

OH SNAP!

eVic Easy Head is the EXACT same thing as a Totally Wicked Tornado RCS!!!

It DOES have the low voltage cutoff just like the ego
    Joyetech eVic easy head
    http://www.litecigusa.net/Joyetech_eVic_Easy_Head_Assembly_p/evic-easyhead.htm
    http://www.litecigusa.net/Joyetech_eVic_Battery_Tube_p/evic-batterytube.htm
    Question...does the 18650 go in that eVic Easy Head battery tube? The Totally Wicked RCS uses a 14650 battery...

Found it...the eVic Easy Head dual mode uses an 18650 battery
    http://www.gotvapes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1724

12. gmoney$

Another side-topic: how do we get us a sub forum for EgoT 18660/tornado/evic easy genre of mods/apvs? Seems like a fair amount of market convergence going on around these interchangeable heads and tubes using the various control heads. I've got a couple compatible 18350 tubes for these comin. maybe there isn't a whole lot to talk about that's distinct from other mods but... let me know if I should be looking for such other than in the evic subforum and thanks for the input with the questions above

13. Spazmelda

Spazmelda Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    My first trustfire charger made that sound too. I continued to use it with no problems. The power cord eventually got damaged (unrelated to the noise, just do to me putting to much stress on the cord due to the position I had the charger in while using it). I used it for over a year, and then went ahead and ordered a new one since the cord was shot. The new trust fire doesn't make that sound.

14. IBCR Media

IBCR Media Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Whether it's dangerous or not depends on the frequency of the whine. Certain materials resonate at different frequencies, and depending on the frequency and the function of the materials in question, it can be dangerous.

It's somewhat similar to vibration analysis in rotating equipment like cam shafts, chain drives and shafts that drive large pumps (don't ask me how I know this). If you get the right frequency delivered to a piece of equipment that doesn't like that frequency, the results can be as spectacular as they are catastrophic.

I saw a 120cm stainless steel pump shaft virtually disintegrate because the shaft of the engine driving the pump put out just the right frequency in its rotation.

I can hook you up with an engineering outfit that specializes in this sort of thing, but just getting them to answer the phone will cost you more than the charger is worth, by a factor of about 5,462.

Don't ask me how I know that, either.

15. WarHawk-AVG

Harmonic Resonance Instability...

Yeah..little vibrations can become BIG vibration can become catastrophic failures!

16. WarHawk-AVG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.