Battery charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Hi guys :)
This might seem like a stupid question but i was wondering if the chargers that are available for the 18650 batteries are all compatible with each other or do you need specific chargers for different type of batteries?
Or if the port available in the mods are good enough to be used forever?

I know this might be a very trivial question but i think it's good to take advice and be safe rather than *boom*. :p
I love this community because of the great support and the great people here.
Thanks. Cheers guys!

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I have a Nitecore D4, and I love it. It charges different types and sizes of batteries with auto-detect, and I use it every single day. I can charge batteries of different sizes at the same time (and, I guess different types at the same time, but I use this almost exclusively for my vaping batteries). It's important to get a good one for safety and quality; you'll most likely use it a lot!

JoeMischief

Apr 21, 2017
Southsea
Battery safety is very important! Nitecore are the ones to go for IMHO. Some mods charge each battery independently and intelligently using direct USB port. Smok Alien being a good example. If you do charge through the USB port regularly change the position of your batteries swap a for b as they will sometimes drain and charge differently so this mixes it up. Most of the smart advice will be to regularly charge your batteries in a dedicated charger. It means you need more batteries but if you do that you can't really go very wrong. It is always worth watching a few tutorials on battery safety as if you treat your batteries well they will love you back...

Reactions: Cf11

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Hi guys :)
This might seem like a stupid question but i was wondering if the chargers that are available for the 18650 batteries are all compatible with each other or do you need specific chargers for different type of batteries?
Or if the port available in the mods are good enough to be used forever?

I know this might be a very trivial question but i think it's good to take advice and be safe rather than *boom*. :p
I love this community because of the great support and the great people here.
Thanks. Cheers guys!
Most of the chargers on the market will charge the batteries commonly used in vaping from 18350 to 26650.

I will say that you should do a little homework and don't be afraid to spend the money on a good charger. A quality four-bay charger will cost you about what a set of 4 quality 18650s and will take better care of your batteries.

Also, the better chargers will allow you selectable functions (like testing, for example) and will allow for different charge rates.

Currently my "home" charger of choice is the Opus BT-C3100 and I have an Xtar VP4 at work. I used to have an Efest Luc V2, but since I vape on a lot of different multiple battery mods, I find it more convenient to have a four-bay charger.

For my money, I'd get the Opus, because I've found it to be very accurate and reliable, but I'd have no problem recommending one of the newer chargers from Xtar, Nitecore, or Efest.

One problem that I ran into with the Xtar, tho, is that the spring that keeps tension on the battery slider was held in place by a VERY small plastic pin, and the pin on one of the slots broke after a few months. It wasn't a big deal for me to pop the charger open and perform an epoxy repair, but it's something that not everyone would be comfortable with doing.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I use a Nitecore (I have 2 as it happens) but quite often I need to use the USB port on mods.
For a long time I believed that USB is acceptable - until I broke two USB ports on two mods in about 4 days. I think phone manufacturers spend more money and time making sure these ports last the life of the phone (not that it can be guaranteed) but e-cig mod makes just throw in a 20c module and hope not to get busted by the community.
A proper charger is just invaluable and probably better for your batteries long term.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I see what everyone is saying but this being my first ever vape i don't wanna put in too much money in this right now(other priorities because i'm still a student).

I have an istick pico with melo 3 mini and lg battery(LGDBHG21865 P251I072AE) if that matters at all.(It'd be great if some could tell me what these batteries are called in short).

I found this on fasttech
$2.10 Single Channel 18650 / 18350 Battery Charger for K100 Electronic Cigarette - EU plug / AC 110-220V / 47-63Hz at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Seems cheap and has fine reviews.
Would you guys recommend this for now? or should i keep away from these type of chargers?

Last edited:

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I use a Nitecore (I have 2 as it happens) but quite often I need to use the USB port on mods.
For a long time I believed that USB is acceptable - until I broke two USB ports on two mods in about 4 days. I think phone manufacturers spend more money and time making sure these ports last the life of the phone (not that it can be guaranteed) but e-cig mod makes just throw in a 20c module and hope not to get busted by the community.
A proper charger is just invaluable and probably better for your batteries long term.
You broke them physically? Or did they just stop working?
I know they are cheap ports but i'm sure they could also last if used with caution.(I could be wrong here.)
I mean it could just be user error(people not handling them with care).
No offense to you. :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
You broke them physically? Or did they just stop working?
I know they are cheap ports but i'm sure they could also last if used with caution.(I could be wrong here.)
I mean it could just be user error(people not handling them with care).
No offense to you. :)

No... I didn't break them... they broke... :)

Like I said, I do use USB ports... I'm not taking all my chargers everywhere (on the road).
They can certainly be used, of course. Just don't rely on them.

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I have an istick pico with melo 3 mini and lg battery(LGDBHG21865 P251I072AE).(It'd be great if some could tell me what these batteries are called in short).
I see what everyone is saying but this being my first ever vape i don't wanna put in too much money in this right now(other priorities because i'm still a student).

That's an LG HG2 battery. It's a great 20 amp, 3000 mAh battery.

I found this on fasttech
$2.10 Single Channel 18650 / 18350 Battery Charger for K100 Electronic Cigarette - EU plug / AC 110-220V / 47-63Hz at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Seems cheap and has fine reviews.
Would you guys recommend this for now? or should i keep away from these type of chargers?
I wouldn't recommend it. For a few extra dollars I would go with an Xtar ANT-MC1 plus (about $9USD), the Xtar MC1 (About $6USD), or the Nitecore i1 (about $9USD).

The problem with the "no-name" chargers is quality control. Its specified accuracy is stated at +/- 10%, which isn't that bad, but if it overcharges your batteries consistently (which can happen in the cheaper chargers) it will kill your battery in short order. Overcharging an 18650 (or other lithium-ion battery) shortens battery life significantly.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
That's an LG HG2 battery. It's a great 20 amp, 3000 mAh battery.

I wouldn't recommend it. For a few extra dollars I would go with an Xtar ANT-MC1 plus (about $9USD), the Xtar MC1 (About $6USD), or the Nitecore i1 (about $9USD).

The problem with the "no-name" chargers is quality control. Its specified accuracy is stated at +/- 10%, which isn't that bad, but if it overcharges your batteries consistently (which can happen in the cheaper chargers) it will kill your battery in short order. Overcharging an 18650 (or other lithium-ion battery) shortens battery life significantly.
Could you please gimme a fasttech link for the ones you recommend?
That'd make my job easier and i can rest assured that a pro like you recommended it.(Just because there are so many fakes out there these days, I can never tell what's good and what's not.)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Yes the chocolate ones.
Are they any good?

I bought two last week. They are excellent. Strictly speaking there might be 'better' ones, but I wanted a pair to identify as a pair. I already have a few pairs of batteries (for 2 x 18650 mods) and wanted brown, not more yellow or pink or green. Yes... that was my reasoning. :D

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Could you please gimme a fasttech link for the ones you recommend?
That'd make my job easier and i can rest assured that a pro like you recommended it.(Just because there are so many fakes out there these days, I can never tell what's good and what's not.)
I'm not a "pro", just an enthusiastic amateur, lol.

Here's a link to the Nitecore i1:
$12.43 Authentic Nitecore I1 Single Slot Intelligent Battery Charger - for 26650/18650/17670/18490/17500/17335/14500/10440/16340 / US at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And a link to the Xtar XP1, not on my initial list, but still a decent charger, and a little less expensive than the i1:

$6.74 XTAR XP1 Single Channel Lithium / Ni-MH / Ni-Cd Battery Charger at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I bought two last week. They are excellent. Strictly speaking there might be 'better' ones, but I wanted a pair to identify as a pair. I already have a few pairs of batteries (for 2 x 18650 mods) and wanted brown, not more yellow or pink or green. Yes... that was my reasoning. :D
Hahaha :p
Well color does matter more than quality :p

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I'm not a "pro", just an enthusiastic amateur, lol.

Here's a link to the Nitecore i1:
$12.43 Authentic Nitecore I1 Single Slot Intelligent Battery Charger - for 26650/18650/17670/18490/17500/17335/14500/10440/16340 / US at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And a link to the Xtar XP1, not on my initial list, but still a decent charger, and a little less expensive than the i1:

$6.74 XTAR XP1 Single Channel Lithium / Ni-MH / Ni-Cd Battery Charger at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
That's what all the veterans/pros say.
You guys are all so humble :)
It's good to see such a nice community.
Also thanks for the recommendations and the links :)

Reactions: K_Tech

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Yeh these are two of the upper range models from both categories. They ought to be good.
I was looking for something more in the cheaper segment.
I know, but it was a good investment. I have learned that buy cheap you might get cheap. Electricity is not my friend and I prefer to be on the safer side of it.[emoji95]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread