Battery Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
Well today I became a statistic of sorts. I use 18650 battery’s in all my devices. I also cary them in a small fanny pack when at my part time job. I also cary a pair of tweezers incase the post on my Stardusts goes up to far to make contact and I need to pull it out a little. In a second pocket I carry a spair stardust and small bottle of juice. I’ve carried this set up for about 2+ months EVERYDAY at work. Nothing has ever happened till today. I drive cars around at a Auto Auction and was parking a car around the lot to a designated space, when a bottle rocket sound and then a flash of FIRE in the front of my pants from the fanny pack. I slammed on the brakes and put it in park and jumped out of the car with my FRONT ON FIRE. It singed the hair on my arms all the way up to my elbow. Burned a hole in my pants and shirt AND underpants. Left the door open for the smoke to get out. Got a burn on my left hand( 1 finger) and the palm of my right hand from grabbing the BURNING Battery out of the car from under the seat. After all it wasn’t my car, lol. Poured mtn dew on the carpet fire in the floor board, lol. YES it missed my Johnson and preserved my future family life barely. Might as well get a laugh, RIGHT, lol. All in all it could have been MUCH MUCH worse. I could have been driving on the road. But the reason I tell about this is to learn from my mistake. I will NEVER AGAIN have a BARE Battery in a pocket or another fanny pack from now on. The battery was a little older( maybe 6 months) but if I had not had another METAL object in the same place as the battery, then this would not have happened to me. My Shaking is finally starting to subside now so I’ll be fine but wanted to share this with my vaping Family. Now for the pics.
S4022201.jpg S4022202.jpg
S4022203.jpg

S4022204.jpg

Suthrnbuckhunter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
SW Georgia,USA
Its good to know you are ok,and It is specially good to know that you are humble enough to bring your mistake out to let others learn from it.So far,being new to vaping,Ive not gotten complacent with battery safety.This report by you will keep me vigilant for a good while longer.Unfortunately,being humans ,we do tend to get complacent and forgetful.Thanks for a very HELPFUL post...:thumbs:

Bucky

therealcmac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
www.youtube.com
Glad you didn't lose your junk mane!! Geeze, I remember a story similar with a guy that had a battery in his pocket and some change, fell asleep on the couch and woke up to a very hot battery in his pocket......this post should be mandatory reading for every vaper new and vet.

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
Glad you didn't lose your junk mane!! Geeze, I remember a story similar with a guy that had a battery in his pocket and some change, fell asleep on the couch and woke up to a very hot battery in his pocket......this post should be mandatory reading for every vaper new and vet.

Well Mac, thats EXACTLY why I put myself in the open with this. I would not wish this on ANYBODY.

MisterMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ouch! Glad there was relatively little damage and that you're sharing this with the rest of the community.

I managed to short a AAA rechargeable NiMH with my keys in my pocket once, and the really hot battery against my thigh was enough to make me super-duper careful with every future battery transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread