Battery Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
So glad you are ok fox. Gotta secure those batts! I treat mine as if they were nitroglycerin (an exaggeration.)
Was that the red ultra fire you had? Because that was sure an ultra bad fire. Sorry you got burned, hope it wasn't too bad. Maybe it is time to invest in some aw imr batts ? They Vent hot gas instead of flame to my knowledge. That is all I use.

-Sam

I beleive it was an OLD ultrafire, but not sure cause the coating was taken off to get it in a mod. And they were about 6 months old. STILL NO EXCUSE for my stupiddity.

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
I'm going to award you with the first ECF Yosemite Sam Burnin' Biscuits Award for telling this precautionary saga so well and providing the photos to boot.

Sam-Poster-1.jpg

Yep, even a pill vial that costs nothing can save your bacon. This one holds two 14650s for me.

021.jpg

Well I'm Honored yzer, lol I THINK. Just wanted to save someone elses Johnson, lol

Screwbag

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2012
Malta
Yikes!!
Glad it wasn't worse!
I had a battery blunder when I was a kid...I dropped a 9v battery in my pocket. In my pocket I also had a few pennies...after a bit of very animated jumping around and freaking out, I got my pants off and began investigating...eventually, I realized the problem. Now I either put all batteries in a case, or cover all contacts with electrical tape...even before I started vaping...

Crotch fires are a very powerful teacher ;)

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Well I'm Honored yzer, lol I THINK. Just wanted to save someone elses Johnson, lol
I presented the award with full honors, Foxman. You have done a great service to many of us by sharing your story. A battery meltdown prevented is a johnson saved, IMHO. It takes courage to share our mishaps for the benefit of others. Well done!

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I beleive it was an OLD ultrafire, but not sure cause the coating was taken off to get it in a mod. And they were about 6 months old. STILL NO EXCUSE for my stupiddity.
This may be an important question. Did you remove the plastic shrink wrap coating from the battery that failed, exposing the bare metal underneath? What kind of battery was it? I know you don't remember the brand name of the battery. Was it a protected (ICR) battery or an IMR?

No need to call yourself stupid here, this battery technology is new to 99% of us.

icemanx3

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Silicon Valley, CA
How do you feel it shorted? You mention a set of tweezers and a battery. Were there any other metal pieces in the bag? I could only imagine the metal tweezers touching one terminal of the battery. I am interested to know because I too have lots of batteries and metal things floating around in my bag. SCARY!!!

Glad to hear you are ok!!!!!

ice

Scottinboca

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Planet Vapton
OH, You said Indulgence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That explains it! It doesn't have an off/on switch, no built in protection, and a tendency to short b/c of the terrible quality 510 connection, like in the case of the 2 I had. I made a thread to warn people about the Indulgence. They are horribly dangerous!!!
It was heatshrink wrapped when I got it and I removed the heatshrink to get it into an Indulgence. I don't know if it was protected or not because it was missing the wrapper when I got it. I do know it was a flat top if that helps, lol

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
OH, You said Indulgence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That explains it! It doesn't have an off/on switch, no built in protection, and a tendency to short b/c of the terrible quality 510 connection, like in the case of the 2 I had. I made a thread to warn people about the Indulgence. They are horribly dangerous!!!

Yea the Indulgence is a BAD UNIT for sure. I threw mine away in a metalbin for scrap, lol

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Removing that heat shrink tubing (coating) meant that the battery would have a much, much higher chance of failure from an external short circuit. An external short circuit is a connection between the positive terminal of the battery (the button or flat-top positive (+) end and the bottom or the case (or sides) of the battery with are the negative (-) terminal.

If the Indulgence was designed to use a 18650 battery it should have fitted your 18650 without needing to remove the shrink tubing (wrap) on the battery.

It may be a good idea to print "do not remove this wrapping" from all battery shrink tubing coatings.

If you take the shrink tubing off a ICR (protected) battery you will find a round circuit board on the positive end of the battery and possibly on the negative end of the battery. These circuit board(s) provides the protection. There is often a metal strip running along the outside of the battery case connecting to the base.

Foxman, if your battery did not have the circuit boards on the ends it was either an unprotected ICR (which should never be used in a PV or APV) or an IMR battery, which is considered "safer" chemistry and doesn't need protection circuit boards.

Last edited:

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
The guy that exposed the smoktech telescope mod having no venting would have a field day with the Indulgence! I really hope vendors stop selling them!!!!!

Yea they have already fixed the vent holes from the factory. I was in the CO-OP that had them and the VIVI Tanks on it and they got delayed over a week to fix them before they shipped them.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Pushing and pulling protected batteries in and out of chargers and banging around in a bag can cause the metal band to wear through the protection covering, shorting the postive to the negative battery case. Also perhaps the fanny pack was pinched a bit between your lap while seated.

Mine wore through and almost caught fire. I manage to pry up the band from the casing before it happened but not before burning my finger

fake_batts2.jpg

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The battery failed outside the PV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread