Not open for further replies.

Off Topic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
The Wood Between the Worlds
I have 3 batteries for my provari.

One in vented stainless steel device.
One in a charger in a ceramic dish at home.
One in a charger on a steel plate at work.

I have a plastic battery case ready if I ever need it.

Please, folks. We have enough bad press. If one of us manages to blow our genitalia off with one of these things, we will never hear the end of it.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Did you inspect the tweezers (or other metal objects) in there with it? If one of those shorted the battery there will more than likely be very distinct "weld" marks on it. More than just soot/blackened/discolored from being in proximity. Small bump or crater where metal was transferred or removed.

There are a lot of poorly manufactured batteries out there and definitely a lot of knock off trust fires. It's possible the battery just self destructed/shorted internally. Worth looking just to know.

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
Did you inspect the tweezers (or other metal objects) in there with it? If one of those shorted the battery there will more than likely be very distinct "weld" marks on it. More than just soot/blackened/discolored from being in proximity. Small bump or crater where metal was transferred or removed.

There are a lot of poorly manufactured batteries out there and definitely a lot of knock off trust fires. It's possible the battery just self destructed/shorted internally. Worth looking just to know.

I didn't really look at them for being busy putting out my fire, lol. I know they were weldid together because I found them about 20 ft away after I put out the fire they were stuck together.

Zooker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Washington State
Oh WOW. Your story and pictures are a great reminder for all of us to excercise great caution and have more respect for our batteries. I know I always "think" I'm pretty safe and being careful, but at this time, I'll be looking over how I transport my gear/supplies when I'm out of the house, and see if there are areas I could improve upon. So glad that you were not seriously injured.
Love the Burnin' Biscuits award!

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I had no idea these things could be a fire hazard! Just got my Ego Twists tonight but didn't order a case. So am I ok with putting the batteries in separate baggies and then together in a temporary purse/case? Is the biggest issue the metal coming in contact with other metal?
Thanks!

Well, not exactly, but it couldn't hurt. Ego Twists are more of a self enclosed battery holder, the battery is actually encased in the black tube. The battery we are talking about is a loose battery that goes in our PV's kind of like batteries in flashlights are replaceable. That is why the ones we are talking about fit in a pill case that you get from your prescriptions.

Ego's can self destruct though, there are other stories on here about that. As long as they are not loose inside your purse/case, you are okay. I have an eGo case that keeps my eGo's nice and safe, a regular eyeglass case works just as well also.

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al
Thanks vsummer1! How about detaching the clearomizer from the battery at night? Now I'm getting all paranoid about explosions, fires, etc. lol :blush:

EGO's have short circuit protection built in them. The only real problem with EGO's is if you pull the heads out of the tube and short thme out. Then MOST of the time they will just Quit working. What happened to me was a 18650 2nd Largest battery we use in APV's Touched a pair of tweezers inside a fanny pack and shorted long enough to go critical and BOOM, lol

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Thanks vsummer1! How about detaching the clearomizer from the battery at night? Now I'm getting all paranoid about explosions, fires, etc. lol :blush:

It is always good to be careful. It is not by any means a common occurrence, but any battery can fail. I wouldn't be paranoid, I would just be safe. Detaching the clearomizer at night, not charging unattended and even turning them off when not in use (if you click the button 5 times that turns them on and off) can help ease your mind. I don't want you freaking out, there are tons of users that will never in their entire lifetime have a problem even without taking precautions. We only hear about the one battery that commits suicide. And if you can prevent it from happening by taking a few seconds to be safe, you surely haven't wasted any time right?

Foxman

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Trussville al

No need to get paranoid. I leave my Clearo's on mine all the time. All you have to do is be careful how you carry them and if you feel them getting HOT throw them somewhere were they can't hurt anything, lol.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Always worth buying the quality batteries rather than trying to save 4 or 5 bucks. Take AW's for example. Protection circuit for over/under charge and short AND physical protection that physically disconnects the circuit if the battery expands.

It's possible that your protection circuit failed but more likely there wasn't even one in there at all or it was a knock off.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I had no idea these things could be a fire hazard!

Which is WHY sometimes, while others feel mishaps should be down-played, these topics with sensational headings like "explosion" are ones that garner attention. And, in that way, they are GOOD.

There is any number of great tutorials here about batteries........as well as battery university. But it does seem that many never get around to reading them.

So, in kind of indirect way, I fully support seeing topics with the word *explosion* in them. Despite that others believe this may give ecigs a bad name, I say no......education is everything. The more educated vaporers are, esp. newbies, the less chance of something "bad" happening to them.

If a topic heading like this gets people to "look in", then that education has happened.

Vape on!

Dimitris

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2011
Georgia
The replay of the show is up, thanks so much Foxman for joining us you did great. If anything we hope that at least alot of new vapers that watch the show (or replays) got some information out of it, and even more veterans like me that sometimes take safety for granted once we get a bit too comfortable with our vape and gear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread