Battery Help with x4 coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

RcNova90

Mar 29, 2017
Hi community

A new member here and its time for a suited battery for my al85. Because its a single 18650 device I would like to go with the max mah possible and found out there are 3 good 3000mah to choose from right now (hg2, vtc6 and 30Q)

I want to use x4 coils which are rated at 0,15ohm and with the 85W max I calculated max Amp draw of 24A
But due to mooch's chart the hg2 is rated at 18A const and 20A "burst" (?), vtc6 at 19A/25A and 30Q at 20A/25A

Does that mean I have to go with a battery which is able to handle my 24 max calculated A constant and sacrifise some capacity? or do I never use this 24A constant and the "burst" rating of his chart ist the way I have to look at this?

appreciate your help

PS: the factory rating for 30Q of 15A scares me a little too

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's a balancing act. Higher current/lower capacity. Yes, a 30A is most suitable for running at 85W. however, a 20A Q30 is 3000 mAh, and the 25R is 2500 mAh. Way more running time and happy up to 60W or so. One other consideration is the high soft cutoff on the mod at around 3.4V (too high IMO). That means 85W/3.4V=25A, so a bit more leeway as you really won't run the battery down enough to raise the amp drain quite so much.

If you really need to run at 85W, do yourself a favor and get a 2 battery mod like the Alien or any other of the half dozen or more out there. 85W will be sustainable with 2X20A batteries with far longer run times. You're better off keeping the AL85 in the 40-50W (max 50W IMO) range using a quality 20A battery for capacity. You can still expect to swap the battery out during the day if it's your main all day vape. If you do insist on 85W and a 30A battery, expect to swap out a few times a day.

Reactions: IMFire3605

RcNova90

Mar 29, 2017
ah ok...so if I dont vape over 60W (which is the upper recommended wattage for the x4 coil) it would be save to take a 3000mah (vtc6, hg2 or 30Q)?

It would be my mod to take it outside and I think a 1500mah wouldnt last very long...so I have no problem with vaping at lower wattages if that means I can go with a 3000mah

Edit: wrote this reply befor I have seen Eskie answered me, thank you for your reply too

Reactions: Eskie

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi community
A new member here and its time for a suited battery for my AL85. Because its a single 18650 device I would like to go with the max mah possible and found out there are 3 good 3000mah to choose from right now (hg2, vtc6 and 30Q)
I want to use x4 coils which are rated at 0,15ohm and with the 85W max I calculated max Amp draw of 24A
But due to mooch's chart the hg2 is rated at 18A const and 20A "burst" (?), vtc6 at 19A/25A and 30Q at 20A/25A
Does that mean I have to go with a battery which is able to handle my 24 max calculated A constant and sacrifise some capacity? or do I never use this 24A constant and the "burst" rating of his chart ist the way I have to look at this?
appreciate your help
PS: the factory rating for 30Q of 15A scares me a little too
Welcome and glad you joined. Some good advice below.
Might like to read:
All About Sub-Ohm Vaping - The Perks and the Problems
What is Sub Ohm Vaping? Our Sub Ohm Vaping Guide & Tips
Battery safety
Care and Use of 510, eGo and Variable Voltage Batteries
ECF Sub-Ohm Advisory

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Short answer: don't go above 60 watts on a 20A battery, for your face's sake. There are a (very) few honest 30A batteries out there, which would be safe at max power on your AL85, but they do not have anything like 3000mAh. More like half that. It's a trade-off. Greater amperage means less storage and vice versa.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Using a 2 battery regulated power device it would be double the watts you'd be comfortable with using a 1 cell power device.
1 cell at 50w = 2 cells at 100w
1 cell at 60w = 2 cells at 120w, and so on.

We all have to set our own saftey / comfort levels.

Sounds like you're confusing input & output.
Input = from the battery(s) to the chip, buck/boost regulator, magic gizmo board.
Output = from the chip, boost/buck regulator, magic gizmo board to the delivery device.
The amp figure displayed on the screen of the alien is output, not the amp drain from the batteries, input.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
@BrotherBob @suprtrkr

..what is your max watts you would vape provided LG HG 2 are no fakes, used in Smok Alien with x4 at real 0.16 ohms?

Following Mooch 2 X LG HG 2 = real 36 Amperes steady output.
Watts is watts, the coil value doesn't matter except in mechanical mods. I like to hold it down to 60 watts per cell on 20A batteries. Two cells, 120W. HG2s are good batteries, no question. But the other side of the equation doesn't matter much. If the board is putting 60 watts on the coil, it has to be getting it from the battery, and the battery can only deliver it at the voltage is is showing in its then current charge state. A = W / V, so assuming your batteries are dead flat, that is about 3.2V, 60 W will still hold the amp loading down to just under 20A.

Things are very different in mechs, but with a regulated mod, series, parallel, coil value, none of it matters much. In a regulated mod, there are two circuits (to oversimplify outrageously); a power circuit containing the input side of the board and the batteries, and an output circuit containing the output side of the board and the topper with coil. Amp draw on the batteries can only occur on the power circuit, no matter what the board is doing on the other side. 60W per cell is a good rule of thumb.

Reactions: alienx4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread