Battery Info Needed.. Series / Parallel mech mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
I am considering buying a series / parallel mech but need to know about what the best batteries are. Not having great luck on finding any info on google except a grimmgreen vid where is says he is using samsung25rs. That is the same battery I use in my single cell mech.. so is there a difference between multicell mechs and single cell mechs?

Also what are the differences in build ohms?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The Samsung 25R has a 20 amp CDR (2500mAh). The LG HG2 and Samsung 30Q (3000mAh) both have the same CDR but slightly better mAh.

With a parallel configuration you get between 75-100% of the combined CDR, so with 25R that's between 30 and 40 amps to work with.
So using Ohms law 0.14 ohms at 4.2v will draw 30 amps from the combined pool giving you 126 watts.

With series configuration the voltage is doubled to 8.4 volts, but the individual CDR applies. You can use a higher resistance range for this configuration.
0.56 ohms at 8.4v drawing 15 amps giving you 126 watts.

Though in practice the Wattage will be far less than this due to voltage drop and battery sag. Both these builds will have the same runtime. Of the two I prefer series for instant ramp up and avoiding super low resistance coils.

image-jpeg.600623

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
My recommendations: VTC5A (VTC5 gets too hot for my liking!), 25R...HG2 (attention, there are fakes around!), HE2, HE4, 30Q, UR18650NSX, maybe VTC4...

Depends also on the used setups (e.g. resistance).
Yeah, that's why I only buy from my local shop. I'd rather pay a little more and know what I was getting. I actually have to study batteries and pass a test before he will sell me a series mod. lol.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
The Samsung 25R has a 20 amp CDR (2500mAh). The LG HG2 and Samsung 30Q (3000mAh) both have the same CDR but slightly better mAh.

With a parallel configuration you get between 75-100% of the combined CDR, so with 25R that's between 30 and 40 amps to work with.
So using Ohms law 0.14 ohms at 4.2v will draw 30 amps from the combined pool giving you 126 watts.

With series configuration the voltage is doubled to 8.4 volts, but the individual CDR applies. You can use a higher resistance range for this configuration.
0.56 ohms at 8.4v drawing 15 amps giving you 126 watts.

Though in practice the Wattage will be far less than this due to voltage drop and battery sag. Both these builds will have the same runtime. Of the two I prefer series for instant ramp up and avoiding super low resistance coils.

image-jpeg.600623
So I definitely want the series, since it gives me more room to play around with.
Same stress tests apply to dual cell?
tbh I don't really like the idea of building 16 wrap coils, I prefer to stick to 8 or 7. But i suppose a larger core would help.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
My goto build for my Noisy Cricket is dual 26G x11 wraps @2.5mm ID
12 amps and about 100 watts
I'll probably build with 24. I've been using steamengine to do some theoretical builds, like a quad coil at X amps, R Resistance, W watts H heatflux.. and havent found any builds i like much. Looks like Ill be sticking to dual coils. They make my head hurt less. I've been finding that with any more than 8 wraps, the wick starts burning in the center as the juice evaporates. Just something Ive been noticing. I'm thinking, about another 3 or 4 months before I am comfortable trying builds on those dual cell mechs. I need to know everything in advance to cut the risk factor as much as possible.

Joergl100

Oct 15, 2016
Germany, Lake Constance
Get flexible...grab You a Noisy Cricket II!

Parallel mechanic, serial mechanic...or with batteries serial configured even voltage controlled!

Mine is on the way from China to Germany...in few days i will have it in my hands.

$28.89 Authentic Wismec Noisy Cricket II-25 VV Mechanical Mod - 2-6V / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

JayBo...he is NOT an idiot...
hi.gif

Sorry, i am a Fasttech-junkie, because: Germanys stores are too expensive for me...and: Fasttech is really reliable. Delivers in a maximum of 3 weeks...it is always like christmas!
greeting.gif

Like my "old" Cricket...very much. Serial has something special...but take care of what batteries You use...and everything else! Not a toy. Short circuit would grill Your hand inside-out.

Troll with dual coil...0.25 Ohms...2x VTC5A...wooohaaahey! That fluxes even with HUGE coils...very, very hard. 2 seconds puff time...maximum.

Last edited:

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
Get flexible...grab You a Noisy Cricket II!

Parallel mechanic, serial mechanic...or with batteries serial configured even voltage controlled!

Mine is on the way from China to Germany...in few days i will have it in my hands.

$28.89 Authentic Wismec Noisy Cricket II-25 VV Mechanical Mod - 2-6V / 2*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

JayBo...he is NOT an idiot...
hi.gif

Sorry, i am a Fasttech-junkie, because: Germanys stores are too expensive for me...and: Fasttech is really reliable. Delivers in a maximum of 3 weeks...it is always like christmas!
greeting.gif

Like my "old" Cricket...very much. Serial has something special...but take care of what batteries You use...and everything else! Not a toy. Short circuit would grill Your hand inside-out.

Troll with dual coil...0.25 Ohms...2x VTC5A...wooohaaahey! That fluxes even with HUGE coils...very, very hard. 2 seconds puff time...maximum.
I've been considering that one. I'll have to take a closer look.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Using that on the original Noisy Cricket? You realize that exceeds the cdr of the vtc5a by almost 10 amps?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser

Joergl100

Oct 15, 2016
Germany, Lake Constance
It is definitely not meant as a recommendation at all...sorry.

I know exactly, what I am doing, nothing else.

Btw: That are never 140 Watts per cell, because the voltage under load sinks not only a few! I calculate at fully charged batteries with 3,5 Volts around per cell...if not even less.

Here something from Germany:

Sony Konion US18650VTC5A Akkutest in der Dampfakkus.de AkkuDB

Nice Graph @30Amps:

610-30A.png

That is nearly exactly what happens with my hardcore-setting. A maximum of 100 Watts per cell, never more.

Last edited:

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
Yes I have. Have you read it though, particularly the disclaimer about safety and experience levels?
140 watts per cell is pretty kamikaze by most peoples standards, but that's your choice. What might be an issue is that the OP isn't experienced, and might take your example as a model for his choices without realizing the implications.
I'm experienced enough, just not with 2 cell mechs. Hence looking for all the info I can get before using. I'm determined not to use a hybrid. I see no reason to take extra risk for a fraction of a second battery lag. The difference in performance just isn't worth the extra risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread