Battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huey604

Sep 29, 2016
I bought 2 new LG batteries from the local vape shop, i have been using the same one for 2 or 3 days n charged it twice a day seeing as i vape quiete frequently trying to get off the smokes. At first the battery would go to nothing n need charging now at about 1/4 the battery sign on my kangertech topbox mini blinks 10times. Should i buy a charge kit or keep using the usb charger that came with the kit. Is the battery already dieng out ? I have another spare one in a case which i beilived is charged. I got my vape last week and it came with a cheap battery practicly no name and after 3/4 it would blink 10 times on the LED. Thanks

Reactions: BrotherBob

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
LG batteries are good i.m.o.
I doubt you need new ones. You could try external charging for better 'conditioned' batteries, maybe.
A no name battery probably can't do the power needed so will blink earlier, I guess.
If I was charging more than once a day (3,000mAh 18650) I'd probably go straight for a 2 battery mod, but if you don't mind carrying a spare (in a plastic case!) then it doesn't matter.
Kanger mods seem power hungry, but unless you can specify what power you are vaping at it's hard to know exactly what's going on. It may all be normal. Battery 'meters' on mods are mostly a little inaccurate and best taken as guide i.m.o.

Reactions: Huey604

Huey604

Sep 29, 2016
LG batteries are good i.m.o.
I doubt you need new ones. You could try external charging for better 'conditioned' batteries, maybe.
A no name battery probably can't do the power needed so will blink earlier, I guess.
If I was charging more than once a day (3,000mAh 18650) I'd probably go straight for a 2 battery mod, but if you don't mind carrying a spare (in a plastic case!) then it doesn't matter.
Kanger mods seem power hungry, but unless you can specify what power you are vaping at it's hard to know exactly what's going on. It may all be normal. Battery 'meters' on mods are mostly a little inaccurate and best taken as guide i.m.o.
Ill also be pickin up my gf one tomorrow is the vape im using good for starters ? Thanks

Huey604

Sep 29, 2016
I have Sony batteries that are four years old still going strong and Efest six month or more no problem. I only use the wall outlet to charge my batteries and let them run down before charging. Good quality battery will last a long time.
Only once did my battery run down everyother time i need to charge them before there empty is this a problrm with the vape ?

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Only once did my battery run down everyother time i need to charge them before there empty is this a problrm with the vape ?
    What device are you using is it regulated and set at a what wattage/voltage? How many ohms is the coil.?

Batteries start out at 4.2 volts when fully charged. Should run down to around 3.2 volts before it has to be recharged. Lot of that depends on settings and if your device can step up the wattage/voltage or not. If your vaping at low wattage/voltage you should have no problem though at higher your battery has to proved what the device needs with step up regulation your device can do that. In either case your battery should run down to 3.2 volts before it needs to be charged.

Huey604

Sep 29, 2016
    What device are you using is it regulated and set at a what wattage/voltage? How many ohms is the coil.?

Batteries start out at 4.2 volts when fully charged. Should run down to around 3.2 volts before it has to be recharged. Lot of that depends on settings and if your device can step up the wattage/voltage or not. If your vaping at low wattage/voltage you should have no problem though at higher your battery has to proved what the device needs with step up regulation your device can do that. In either case your battery should run down to 3.2 volts before it needs to be charged.
    Im using the toptank mini Kangertech Ni coil, i run at 460 F and its set to .2 ohms and the wattage flucuates

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Im using the toptank mini Kangertech Ni coil, i run at 460 F and its set to .2 ohms and the wattage flucuates

The fluctuating am guessing is the device not allowing you to go higher then 460 F, if so its working properly and regulating the temperature of the coil.

Didn't see this "I got my vape last week and it came with a cheap battery practicly no name". Stay away from no name cheap batteries. You need a high AMP battery like Sony VT4, VT5 and like kinds. Enter battery in forum search bar above and read up on batteries.

This device should only be used with rechargeable Lithium Ion IMR batteries with an amp limit of 20A or higher. Using other batteries can be potentially hazardous. Kangertech TOPBOX Mini Kit White (SUBOX Mini Pro)
    I would never use a no name battery that I don't know the amp limit. Good guess this is your problem.

Never leave a charging battery unattended! If your going to continue to vape pickup a good quality wall charger. Can get one on amazon for $20 or less. I have an XTAR two bay charger that served well for over four years.

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    The tank is the glass part right ? Or is it the whole thing where the airlock meets the vape . Sorry im really new lol

subtank-mini-19.jpg

That's the tank. Make sure it's not screwed down too tight.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    There's a lot of fake low grade batteries out there, so you have to be sure that it's an authentic LG.

Your mod could be defective and not charging right.

You could have simply hit a bad battery, so try the other battery that you have, as the way you said it, this is happening with just one that you've been using.

Most people will recommend an external charger, and so would I. I do charge via some of my mods, but I also have a charger for my spare batteries for my other ones.

I've also seen a few people have issues with Kanger mods, it's the type of "beginners" type that many get because they are a cheap/inexpensive kit, but most end up moving on rather quickly from them once they get a second mod. On my Facebook groups, lots of people end up selling them off cheap, as if just to get rid of them. So that speaks for itself to me. Whioe I had a Kanger tank at one time that I absolutely loved, at this time, I wouldn't touch any Kanger gear, I've seen just too many people complaining about them.

I now have many batteries, and learned that you need to stick with the better brand names (and ensure that you get authentic ones) as the secondary name brands are actually re-wrapped rejects/second tier from the brand names. Any battery from any that has "fire" in their names, the Aspire batteries, etc.

Out of my multiple batteries, I started with a few Aspires (as I wasn't aware of all this at the time when I started with the 18650 type mods and the store were "recommending them") and they have been the one "brand" that I've had a lot of issues with, with most of them dying very quickly, etc. I've switched to mostly LG 3000mAh ones (and some Samsung ones) and no issues with those.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I'm in pretty much agreement with everything what Fallen Angel said. :thumb:

Batteries are the most important part of our setups. You never want to skimp by by using the cheapest batteries available. It pays off in the long run to buy reputable high-quality brand batteries from reputable vendors.

Unfortunately, the 18650 market is full of deceitful manufacturers attempting to con consumers and make a quick buck.
    An update from IMRBatteries regarding the fake LG HG2 batteries

Do your research to learn which brands are trustworthy. AW, Lg, Samsung, and Sony are trustworthy manufacturers. All the other companies are rebranding/rewrapping batteries of questionable quality. Buy only from recommended battery resellers who are reputable and trustworthy. Make sure you are using the right chemistry battery: IMR or INR high drain, safer chemistry batteries.

Recommended vendors:

Take a couple of days to read the following articles:

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
    • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
    • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?

Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery?

• Learn what a rewrap cell is. If you are using rebranded cells, does that mean it is inferior, poor quality, or even dangerous? Which batteries are suspected to be rebranded batteries?

Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

• Guide to help a novice in choosing a charger. Covers recommended brands, suggestions for the number of charging bays you'll need, independent bays, LED or LCD models, and "smart chargers".

Last edited:

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    hey huey, I'm in ont...

you'll love Kanzi(strawberry/kiwi/watermelon) by 12 monkeys one of our best canuck brands out there, I love a lot of their flavours actually. they're across Canada so most local shops have them.
    12 Monkeys Vapor Co.
    if you would like a double double...
    Double Trouble
    these are the best and cheapest we can buy and what I use in my mod(same as yours), they even send them in a handy case. saves the issue of trying to get batteries across the border. I have bought from him and got my spares in 3 days via CP, might take a few days more to get to BC.
    LG HG2 20A 3000mAh

fallen isn't fond of kanger's, I've got 3 of them and 7 tanks with no issues. it's a matter of personal preference, if you like the mod, keep using it. I like the top fill and actually upgraded from the toptank(the one that comes with it) to a Kanger Protank-4 clearomizer because I liked it enough for me.

edit: for the leaking... mine will leak if it gets too warm(direct sun for too long etc), if I didn't tighten the glass part enough after changing the coil, or if I fill above the metal crossbars(overfilling).

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread