Battery marriage...needed or not? Testing starts soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Just me, I see a reason to re wrap 3 of the 4 just from your pictures, so I would re wrap all 4.
Torn / nicked wrap is a saftey concern that is easily remedied.

It may be the picture / camera angle or battery placement in the photo, cell 3 looks different from the others.
The top gap appears wider, the cell slightly taller/longer, the top more rounded & to my critical eye just funky.
You do know there are counterfeits of those cells, not saying for sure that one is but from one picture it does raise concern to me.
& peel off the 18650 3.7v 2500mah stickers, they're only there for shipping compliance.

Fascinating. I had not noticed the slight difference in battery 3. It does look taller. It could be the angle of the photo but I will definitely take a look at it tonight.

Based on the very experienced views posted here I am going to invest in 4 new batteries, all exactly the same, to use in my quad battery device. I won't be marrying those 4 batteries after what I've read here unless of course Mooch says otherwise after his exhaustive experiments.

The two batts on the left will be rewrapped and used in dual battery devices as they were before and the two batteries in the right of photo will be rewrapped and used as single batteries or thrown out.

There is a good vaping vendor here in Australia called thevapercaper that sells battery wraps sized especially for 18650s. All I need is a hairdryer.

I've taken up enough space on this thread which has the important function as a thread for Mooch to pose some test results so I will finish up here with this post.

There was important information given in response to my question. While it may have seemed daft and possibly like trolling you would be surprised how many people don't realise that any tattering or nicks in the plastic could be hazardous. I've been vaping for 7 years and I didn't know. It's only in the last couple of years I started getting into subohm vaping and using mods with seperate batteries.

Those people just coming into vaping
and who are buying single or dual 18650 setups would not immediately be exposed to safety literature unless they are avid vapers who take the time to research the subject. Safety measures certainly don't come in manuals with the batteries. Most people who get into vaping buy a kit, vape and get on with their busy lives unaware of all the intricacies of vaping and safety requirements. Most ordinary working busy people getting into vaping wouldn't have a clue about rewrapping batteries. Heck I didn't know and I've been vaping as long as Grimm Green.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm sure there are others who could benefit from the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I posted this a few months ago.

Someone sold a family friend a used Subox Mini kit. She used it for a few months before I saw it. She told me that she always charged it with the USB so I asked to see her battery. The insulator and top was raggedy and it had bare sides showing. Needless to say that sucker is wearing tape in my old battery jar waiting to be recycled and she left my house with a safe battery.

Helping people until they can help themselves should be standard human behavior.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Hey Mowgli, Nice to see you.
I am about to buy some battery wraps and see that its cheaper to buy by the meter, is there a link to a "how to" on how to cut the right length and shrink it?
Dunno. I bought 300 for about $10 - cheap enough?
I think I have about 270 left. What color would you like?
PM incoming on FB

Reactions: AnthonyB

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Reactions: anavidfan

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
These are way cheaper and fit all the Samsungs/Sony's I have. never tried an LG

$1.34 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap (50-Pack) 50-pack - 72*30*0.08mm / blue at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

They're actually so cheap I write on them an then double wrap with these clear ones so don't smudge

$1.47 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap (50-Pack) 50-pack - 72*30*0.08mm / translucent at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Hell you can even get spidey man or wolverine
da96f188eac443cd333fdaedba5419af.jpg

3ff8bb831a3c290918e37cdbb00aa3d4.jpg

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
These are way cheaper and fit all the Samsungs/Sony's I have. never tried an LG

$1.34 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap (50-Pack) 50-pack - 72*30*0.08mm / blue at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

They're actually so cheap I write on them an then double wrap with these clear ones so don't smudge

$1.47 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap (50-Pack) 50-pack - 72*30*0.08mm / translucent at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Hell you can even get spidey man or wolverine
da96f188eac443cd333fdaedba5419af.jpg

3ff8bb831a3c290918e37cdbb00aa3d4.jpg
that is a good price, but I need a wrap for one of my 18650's and since I mostly have 18500's the "cut it your self" is a better choice for me. I even use 18350's. I tend to drop mine off the side of the bed....
True. But, Spideyman and Wolverine do look like a lot of fun.

Reactions: anavidfan

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Finally getting started on determining whether we need to marry our batteries in multi-battery mods and, if we do, how well matched they need to be. I've had my own thoughts about this for quite a while but it's time for proof.

Using three RX200 battery sleds (no circuit boards), a datalogger, and a ton of batteries, I'll be trying out different combinations of batteries, battery positions, different levels of charge, etc., to see if any battery ever drops far enough in voltage to become damaged or brought below zero volts (which is dangerous).

You might have noticed the white batteries. They're "specials", high capacity batteries rated at 5A-10A. These, along with the other 1500mAh-3000mAh 20A-30A batteries (new, used, and damaged) will give the marriage theory a good workout.

It's going to take a few weeks to complete this testing but I'll post when I can as it proceeds.

Did you ever finish this? If so, where might I be able to find the results..

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Not yet. I hope to be done in April.
how are things going? I am anxiously awaiting this to know if I can put some of my singles together into pairs or if I should order some new pairs. got an opus arriving tomorrow as well as some of my batteries are about a year old now and could likely benefit from a refresh

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    how are things going? I am anxiously awaiting this to know if I can put some of my singles together into pairs or if I should order some new pairs. got an opus arriving tomorrow as well as some of my batteries are about a year old now and could likely benefit from a refresh

Life has intruded again unfortunately.
    I won't be giving out any estimates anymore as it only creates a flood of messages. Testing is ongoing though.

SteveS45

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    Life has intruded again unfortunately.
    I won't be giving out any estimates anymore as it only creates a flood of messages. Testing is ongoing though.

Sure to provide a glimmer of hope to those wanting the results to turn out one way sure make inquisitive minds want to know even more! Keep up the good work buddy!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread