Battery Paranoia

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadLili

Oct 26, 2009
Georgia
I've been vaping since 2009. Until a few days ago, I was still rocking the ego twist. Being around for the wild west of vaping, watching dumb people use unprotected batteries, and seeing videos of mods exploding in people's hands has made me paranoid.

Now I have a KangerTech Topbox Nano. The manual says, "Cell: Lithium 18650. 3.7V (must discharge over 30A)" Umm.. ok. So I pop off the battery cover to see what the vendor threw in there for me. Turns out it is this one: Sigelei 35A 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...shame on you Sigelei!.

Is this battery unsafe for this mod? Does what mode I run the mod in (TC vs Power) affect which battery would be best for it? The Topbox Nano is 60W max. Any advice on a better choice for battery?

Derty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
SC
13d010b0c8e05674b7567bdb4a2ad044.jpg

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

marquee

Aug 20, 2014
Utrecht, NL
I've been vaping since 2009. Until a few days ago, I was still rocking the ego twist. Being around for the wild west of vaping, watching dumb people use unprotected batteries, and seeing videos of mods exploding in people's hands has made me paranoid.

Now I have a KangerTech Topbox Nano. The manual says, "Cell: Lithium 18650. 3.7V (must discharge over 30A)" Umm.. ok. So I pop off the battery cover to see what the vendor threw in there for me. Turns out it is this one: Sigelei 35A 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...shame on you Sigelei!.

Is this battery unsafe for this mod? Does what mode I run the mod in (TC vs Power) affect which battery would be best for it? The Topbox Nano is 60W max. Any advice on a better choice for battery?

TC mode saves energy (compared to power mode at the same wattage), since it will cut off power as soon as the temperature you chose has been achieved.

DeadLili

Oct 26, 2009
Georgia
That's one of his bench test spreadsheets

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Thank you. How do I apply the manufacturer's instructions, "must discharge over 30A"? Do I need to pick one from that chart that has an Actual CDR of 30A? What are the consequences of a battery that does not discharge over 30A?

Sorry for all the questions... paranoia. Heh.

TC mode saves energy (compared to power mode at the same wattage), since it will cut off power as soon as the temperature you chose has been achieved.

Thanks. That makes sense.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
The battery will only be an issue if you were to run something like a mechanical mod. You Kanger is electronic and has a lot of built in safety features.

There are also very few high drain batteries that output 30A, but that's ok, because you don't need them. What i would recommend you do is buy some good 20A batteries and the current favourites for various uses are the LG HG2's - that come in an appealing shade of brown!

T

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
The battery will only be an issue if you were to run something like a mechanical mod. You Kanger is electronic and has a lot of built in safety features.

There are also very few high drain batteries that output 30A, but that's ok, because you don't need them. What i would recommend you do is buy some good 20A batteries and the current favourites for various uses are the LG HG2's - that come in an appealing shade of brown!

T

18mm x 65mm tootsie rolls

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I doubt there are any true 35A 18650's around anywhere. Below is a link to a long list of batteries tested by Mooch. None went to 35A in the tests, despite being manufacturer rated at 35A.

35A would be the maximum load created by using the supplied atomizer at full power. The Kanger Topbox Nano is a 60W device. You aren't likely to get anywhere close to 35A even with the .15 ohm coil in the starter kit with a regulated mod. Looks like the starter kit includes the .15, .5, and 1.5 ohm coils.

You could hit 40A on a mech at 6V on a .15 ohm coil. That would be 40A and 240W at 6V, according to the online Ohms Law Calculator. A regulated mod would downshift to avoid battery overcurrent and would top stop at 60W on your Kanger, according to the specs below.

Kanger TOPBOX Nano Starter kit (Not Included battery)

List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:
Reactions: Derty

Assi

Multiple ID Suspension
Jun 2, 2016
I think it would be very helpful, if we recommend at least 2-3 batteries and notonly 1. Sometime a certain battery is out-of-Stock, sometime is really expensive, because the availability at a certain time is low.
I would add to the list the following batteries:
1. Samsung INR18650-30Q (pink sleeve)
2. Samsung INR18650-25R (Green Sleeve)
3. Sony US18650VTC5 (Dark Green sleeve)
4. Sanyo UR18650NSX (Red sleeve)

All the above batteries have between 2500 - 3000 mAh and can hold 20A CDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread