Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I did check it and that is why I was questioning the disclaimer. Just did not sit too well with me so I am not too crazy about buying from IMR and will look at some of the other vendors. Here they are getting a big plug from Mooch and they have this disclaimer ----

As long as both the battery and the vendor are approved by Mooch, I don't sweat it. Probably legal or political reasons--they don't want to get sued or get in trouble with the FDA.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That warning came with my last two battery orders. Battery vendors are covering their butts legally I think and I can't say I blame them, but they are no more or less safe to use with the warning, in fact perhaps the warning will give some battery buyers pause. IDK. I don't think it's a big issue though.

Anna

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Did you know at one point taking a 4 wheel drive vehicle would void the warranty... except for JEEPS. Don't know if policies still same... had heard JEEP wanted to change policy awhile back.

Heck even cigarettes warn you not to smoke....

Nanny Government...... Such a wonderful thing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Look at it this way. If it gets hard to find 18650s because manufacturers of them flip out, all you have to do is buy a Tesla. Pull out the seats, roll back the carpeting, and you'll find ~800 18650s all set to hold you over.

Only bad thing is they're probably rewraps, and I don't think Mooch has tested them yet.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Look at it this way. If it gets hard to find 18650s because manufacturers of them flip out, all you have to do is buy a Tesla. Pull out the seats, roll back the carpeting, and you'll find ~800 18650s all set to hold you over.

Only bad thing is they're probably rewraps, and I don't think Mooch has tested them yet.
    I can see Teslas being stolen and chopped for the batteries.
    (Thought I read Tesla is converting to 20700s)

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    My standard rant on this subject:

There are risks with lithium-ion batteries if misused or short-circuited, and there have been several incidents and some injuries. But this is a common challenge across many types of battery-powered devices. We've all seen the media reports of cell phone batteries exploding or catching on fire.

Too many people are jumping into mechanical mods without understanding what they are getting into and not realizing it is not a care-free device like an eGo or Provari. It requires more attention to details and a better understanding of all the variables. Too often people on forums say, " Mech mods are easy, just drop a battery in and go. I don't understand why others say it is not for beginners." Because if you don't understand all the things you need to watch for there is a serious chance of something possibly going terribly wrong down the road.

Mech mods are not learning devices. They need to be understood before you begin to experiment with them. So far most novices have been lucky. However, some people don't check the batteries they use, don't know what resistance their coils are, don't know how to work an Ohm's Law calculation, etc, and nothing has happened, giving a false sense of security to others to try the same things, but all it will take is one bad coil or one bad battery to change someone's face forever.

When it comes to advanced mass marketed systems like cell phones and laptops and hybrid electric cars, the system designers of those products have taken appropriate steps to make them "safe" for uninformed end-user use. Purely mechanical unregulated ecig battery mods and uninformed end-users is a dicey proposition.

Most consumer battery operated devices are no where near the limit of the batterys operating limits. The high-end flashlights, ecigs and remote control toys come to mind as applications that really push the limits. With the RCtoys the device is physically far removed from the person so a mishap is inconsequential. With ecigs a mishap is literally in the persons face.

These batteries were not originally intended for what we are using them for. In fact, I have read that LG, Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony, and Samsung, don't even like the fact that we're using these batteries because they were not intended for single cell, unprotected use in any consumer device. The fact that they're available can be attributed to modders of flashlights, pen lasers, and bicycle electronics. A demand formed around those markets and it was filled by various folks, and then e-cigs came along and the demand skyrocketed.

sony-battery-jpg.529035

A large percentage of the Samsung, Sony, LG cells are used in multi-cell configurations, i.e., battery packs in hybrid automobiles and cordless power tools. These battery packs have their own battery management system (BMS) that ensures configurable, consistent protection at desired current, voltage, and temperature settings to ensure long battery pack life.

201419111240649.jpg
    BMS

As vapers, we are primarily using single battery cells alone by themselves, which often means we may be using these single cells at or above their recommended specifications for a single cell. This application is not the manufacturer's intended use for these cells. Add to these facts that some mech users using sub-ohm coils are using resistances that are way above the amp rating (continuous discharge rate) for the cell used, and you have the makings of an evening news report about an ecig that exploded in someone's face.

upload_2017-7-8_12-15-21-jpeg.670069

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Best battery to use in my opinion is the Sony VTC5A. It only has 2600 mAh, but it has a true 25 AMP CDR.

www.imrbatteries.com/sony-vtc5a-18650-2600mah-25a-flat-top-battery/

View attachment 694113
    That's a good battery, but it really depends on your build.
    I feel safe with a 20amp, 3000mah if I don't build below .4ohm (single cell mech)
    Draws 10.5 amps, still giving 48% amp head room, allowing for battery degrading with age.
    If I wanted to build lower, a true 25-30amp, would be best.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Next thing you know, batteries will start being labeled "This is a tobacco product".
    Either that or like a lot of the tanks that come with the warning that this product contains nicotine.....Never got a new one yet that actually contained any though, Very disappointed in it being missing from the package.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2017
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Maybe it's because I'm tired, maybe I'm lazy, maybe I just can't find the right words to search so please let me ask a dumb question.

Using my first single battery regulated mod, HCigar Inbox, Sony VT 6, .26 dual. I'm assuming being regulated this is ok?

(Back to trying to get first fire of season started...being a pain)

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2017
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Oh battery life is horrible compared to what I'm used to. Forgot to mention at 45w.

See, being unsure is why I won't use a mech. Lack confidence.

Now if I could find an affordable 2 battery sqonk that's regulated. Probably find the Holy Grail first.

MMW

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2015
    NH
    I've been seeing some YT reviewers recommending .18-.15 builds, single cell mech, using 25amp batteries...too risky for me.
    I've been noticing this with most reviewer's lately. A few of the mainstream companies have been releasing tube mechs, and/or mech squonkers in the last year. Just about every reviewer is running from .1-.15

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread