Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
My theory with batteries is;

I don't really need maximum amps. If I want to run something over 40w then I just stick the tank/rda/rta on a double battery mod.

So, good quality and mAh is my main thing.

I would say that the Samsung 30Q (3,000) is probably my best battery. I also have 2 types of LGHE batteries, some Samsung 25Rs and a few 'classic' Sony VTC5.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd say with that kind of resistance you are going to need at least a two battery mod. If you want to investigate safe batteries that have been tested, including approved vendors, go here: Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

You need to be a tiny bit good at math for vaping safely. Investigating the batteries yourself and selecting one based on what you'll learn about batteries will do you well in the future, and the math isn't that hard, it really isn't.

Best of luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What kind if battery should i use for .05 ohm builds. Nit good with math so can other people tell me please and thank you
Before answering, we need to know if you are using a regulated or mechanical mod. A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod If using a regulated mod, what coils (kanthal vs nickle vs stainless steel) will you be using?

With a regulated mod, the processor chip requirements determines what battery should be used. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

With a mechanical mod, YOU must determine whether the battery has enough amperage (continuous discharge rate) to safely fire the coil resistance on the atomizer. If you choose wrong, the battery will be overwhelmed (abused) and could vent or explode.

upload_2017-10-3_12-13-13-png.689989

The CDR isn't a suggestion. It's the safe operating limit of the cell. Never exceed the CDR.

Basic rule of thumb, to get CDR amps you have to sacrifice Mah and run time, to get Mah and run time you have to sacrifice amps and CDR. You won't find a battery which has both the highest amp rating and highest mAh capacity; that's the way it works with batteries.

Coil amp draw from Ohm's Law calculations for Mechanical Mods:
1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.15 ohms = 28 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway

:danger:Let me say here that there is no single battery that can safely fire a 0.05ohm coil in a mechanical mod. The lowest you can go safely is 0.3 ohm with a 20 amp battery and 0.15 with a 30 amp battery, and that's pretty much without any "safe margin of safety".

Today's choices in batteries are pretty much 20 amp 3000 mah or 30 amp 1500 mah batteries. The amp rating (continuous discharge rate) should be your primary factor in choosing the battery used, the mah rating should be the secondary factor.

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod If using a high wattage regulated mod, use a 20 - 30 amp CDR IMR battery, which ever your mod's manufacturer recommends. The processor's amp limit determines the amp requirement in this application, not the atomizer resistance.On a regulated mod the coil resistance is essentially irrelevant. What dictates the amp draw on the battery is the wattage you set, and the remaining voltage in the battery. The amp draw will increase as the battery discharges.

In the interests of keeping things simple:

If you use a good quality 20 amp CDR battery like the Samsung 30Q or the LG HG2 then you are good for 60 watts per battery. If using a 2-battery regulated mod, your good for 120 watts as you have two batteries. If you are using a 3-battery mod, you're good for 180.

If you use a single 30 amp CDR battery like the LG HB6 you are good up to 90 watts; with a pair of 30 amp CDR batteries you could safely do 180 watts assuming the mod cuts off when the batteries reach 3.4 volts.

60W or higher:
LG18650HB6 1500mah 30 amp CDR
LG18650HB2 1500mAh 30 amp CDR
LG18650HB4 1500mAh 30 amp CDR
30W-60W:
LG 18650HG2 3000mah 20 amp CDR
LG 18650HE2 2500 mah 20 amp CDR
Samsung 18650 30Q, 3000 mah 20 amp CDR
Samsung 18650-25R, 2500 mah 20 amp CDR
Sony 18659VTC6 3000mAh 20A CDR
Sony 18650VTC5A, 2500 mah 25 amp CDR
Sony 18650VTC5, 2600 mah 20 amp CDR
Sony 18650VTC4, 2100 mah 23 amp CDR
AW 18650 3000 mah 20 amp CDR

Question to the OP: Why must you use such a low resistance? :blink:
I'm not good with math either, but I learned how to use the above calculators in order to vape safely. If you're not willing to learn and use them, then I respectfully say you have no business vaping at extreme sub-ohm resistances. Not only are you putting your own health at risk, but those around you too. Everything you need to know can be found in the following articles:

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?

Last edited:

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Before answering, we need to know if you are using a regulated or mechanical mod. A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod If using a regulated mod, what coils (kanthal vs nickle vs stainless steel) will you be using?

With a regulated mod, the processor chip requirements determines what battery should be used. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

With a mechanical mod, YOU must determine whether the battery has enough amperage (continuous discharge rate) to safely fire the coil resistance on the atomizer. If you choose wrong, the battery will be overwhelmed (abused) and could vent or explode.

upload_2017-10-3_12-13-13-png.689989

The CDR isn't a suggestion. It's the safe operating limit of the cell.

Basic rule of thumb, to get CDR amps you have to sacrifice Mah and run time, to get Mah and run time you have to sacrifice amps and CDR. You won't find a battery which has both the highest amp rating and highest mAh capacity; that's the way it works with batteries.

Coil amp draw from Ohm's Law calculations for Mechanical Mods:
1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.15 ohms = 28 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway

:danger:Let me say here that there is no single battery that can safely fire a 0.05ohm coil in a mechanical mod. The lowest you can go safely is 0.3 ohm, and that's pretty much without any "safe margin of safety".

Today's choices in batteries are pretty much 20 amp 3000 mah or 30 amp 1500 mah batteries. The amp rating (continuous discharge rate) should be your primary factor in choosing the battery used, the mah rating should be the secondary factor.

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod If using a high wattage regulated mod, use a 20 - 30 amp CDR IMR battery, which ever your mod's manufacturer recommends. The processor's amp limit determines the amp requirement in this application, not the atomizer resistance.On a regulated mod the coil resistance is essentially irrelevant. What dictates the amp draw on the battery is the wattage you set, and the remaining voltage in the battery. The amp draw will increase as the battery discharges.

In the interests of keeping things simple:

If you use a good quality 20 amp CDR battery like the Samsung 30Q or the LG HG2 then you are good for 60 watts per battery. If using a 2-battery regulated mod, your good for 120 watts as you have two batteries. If you are using a 3-battery mod, you're good for 180.

If you use a single 30 amp CDR battery like the LG HB6 you are good up to 90 watts; with a pair of 30 amp CDR batteries you could safely do 180 watts assuming the mod cuts off when the batteries reach 3.4 volts.

60W or higher:
LG18650HB6 1500mah 30 amp CDR
LG18650HB2 1500mAh 30 amp CDR
LG18650HB4 1500mAh 30 amp CDR
30W-60W:
LG 18650HG2 3000mah 20 amp CDR
LG 18650HE2 2500 mah 20 amp CDR
Samsung 18650 30Q, 3000 mah 20 amp CDR
Samsung 18650-25R, 2500 mah 20 amp CDR
Sony 18659VTC6 3000mAh 20A CDR
Sony 18650VTC5A, 2500 mah 25 amp CDR
Sony 18650VTC5, 2600 mah 20 amp CDR
Sony 18650VTC4, 2100 mah 23 amp CDR
AW 18650 3000 mah 20 amp CDR

Question to the OP: Why must you use such a low resistance? :blink:
I'm not good with math either, but I learned how to use the above calculators in order to vape safely. If you're not willing to learn, then I respectfully say you have no business vaping at extreme sub-ohm resistances. Not only are you putting your own health at risk, but those around you too. Everything you need to know can be found in the following articles:

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?

You have this sitting in a file and cut n paste when needed...don't you?

Bravo.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You have this sitting in a file and cut n paste when needed...don't you?

Bravo.
That observation is pretty obvious. ;) It's a lot of information to remember and type out each time it is needed, wouldn't you agree? The information is taken from my blog articles (above links and to my blog below).

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
^---
Agreed, I am seeing to many posts with Ohm readings that are almost dyslexic in typing.

@OP
0.05ohms, there is only 1 instance that is even close to a reasonable resistance, that is on a "Regulated Mod with Temperature Control Support" running a Ni200 Nickle Temperature Control coil in Ni200 TC Mode. As stated above, your question is anemic at best without vital information this is electronics we are talking about, is a Mechanical/Unregulated Mod or a Regulated Mod it is going to be run on, what tank or atomizer are you running? Key pieces to a puzzle, this is a text based forum with a lot of delay between messages, not like SMS or a regular telephone call that are instantaneous. If as I am hoping that coil is actually a 0.5ohm without the extra decimal point shift, and being run on a Regulated mod of any sort, 0.5ohms really doesn't mean anything as a regulated mod amps are figured by watts that are set and being run.

Single Battery Regulated Mods these figures are watts X 1, dual battery watts X2, triple battery watts X3, etc to account for the number of batteries your mod uses

20amp CDR batteries = 50 to 55 watts max per battery (Samsung 30Q or 25R, Sony VTC6 or VTC5, LG HG2 or HE2/HE4)
25amp CDR batteries = 65 to 70watts max per battery (LG HD2, HD2C, HD4, or Sony VTC5A *take note of the A in the model number*)
30amp CDR batteries = 80 to 85watts max per battery (LG HB2, HB4, HB6 <-And these are the kings of CDR amp rated batteries, nothing in 18650 format exceeds these 3 batteries for amp draw, any battery that says 35 to 40+ amps for an 18650 is a lie, turn and walk away from them)

hambone0424

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
So since i use a cloud beast with .15 ohm coil head on a regulated device with 2 20 amp batteries im not being safe is that what im seeing bc i vape it around 100 to 120 watts easy im not trolling or being a d*ck just trying to figure if im reading this right bc i been doing this for about a year now on lg hg2

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread