Battery Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbreezy2015

Jul 31, 2015
Hello guys and gals! I am somewhat new to the Mech. mods and vaping in general. Im currently running a QZI with a Mutation XV3. I have just been reading alot and building new coils fairly regularly to try and get better at it.
I have mainly stayed Sub-O between .4-.7. However I am currently running a dual parallel coil at .22 Ohm.

My question has to do with the batteries I am using. I have the EFEST 2500mAh and all the reviews I see are all over the board but leaning towards the side of NOT being a good battery for anything under .3-.4. So far I havent had any issues but that doesnt mean that I wont at some point. Im not trying to get my hand blown off so I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me or point me to a better batter for this. Ive sen ppl say the VTC4- and 5 but then again some ppl are saying most of them are knock offs?

If anyone has any insight I would be very appreciative!!

Jbreezy2015

Jul 31, 2015
Mooch or baditude would be the ones to ask. Will see if I can direct one of them here to answer your questions. Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the Welcome!! Is there any kind of 'rep' score or anything on here? Alot of other forums have that and I want to give credit where its due!

Also baditude does have a thread on them but it doesnt seem to say definitively either way and the comments are back and fourth on them!! ugh!!

Thanks again tho!

MotoMudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Sumner, WA
From what I can tell Efest doesnt make their own batteries, they re-wrap them. That itself should be a reason not to use them.

@Mooch has a great blog as to test's he's done with authentic batteries.
On a Mech mod that'd be pushing 20 amps and 80 or so watts.
Personally, no way in hell would I use them. That kind of amperage needs some decent batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: suprtrkr

Rsunderl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2014
Silver Spring, MD, USA
full

Hi @Jbreezy2015 and welcome aboard!

The Efest battery (assuming it's genuine) is a 20 amp CDR (Continuous Discharge Rate) battery. When fully charged at 4.2 volts,with your 0.22 ohm coil, you will be drawing a little over 19 amps from your battery. That's not enough of a safety margin, IMHO. It's usually a good idea to not draw more than 50% of the CDR, because as the battery ages, the CDR gets lower.

VTC4s are probably your best bet, but even then, going lower than 0.4 ohms is probably pushing it.

Hope it helps and Happy Vaping!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome to the board. I don't want to sound like your old grandpa, but I have to say .22 is rather lower than I personally feel safe going on a 1-battery tube mod. Reference to the Ohm's Law Calculator informs me a battery discharged to 3.5v will draw nearly 16 amperes from a build of that resistance, and about 19 at full charge; this is far more than I believe wise to ask a 20 amp battery. If you wish to do this, I definitely recommend Sony VTC4s or LG HB6s, with the former preferable for longer battery life and the latter if you ever might build below .22-ish. You are correct there are some counterfeits running around, but there are some reliable places to buy authentic ones; among these are RTDVapor, Orbtronic and Illumn. All of them are solid suppliers and you will get what you paid for.

Two of our resident battery experts around here are @Mooch and @Baditude . Mooch has put up a battery selection chart with data derived from his personal bench testing of actual cells; I am of the opinion the data therein is entirely trustworthy. Bad's blog is also well worth the read, and I suggest it to you.

Jbreezy2015

Jul 31, 2015
@josh w @suprtrkr @Rsunderl @MotoMudder Seriously THANK YOU GUYS!!!! I have been a part of forums for various things, gardening, model building, and a few other things and this has to be the best initial response Ive gotten anywhere!! I love it!!! =]

Im going to go home and rebuild something to about .5 until I can order some better batteries. like @MotoMudder said, the rewrapping is kind of a deal breaker for me too!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
@josh w @suprtrkr @Rsunderl @MotoMudder Seriously THANK YOU GUYS!!!! I have been a part of forums for various things, gardening, model building, and a few other things and this has to be the best initial response Ive gotten anywhere!! I love it!!! =]

Im going to go home and rebuild something to about .5 until I can order some better batteries. like @MotoMudder said, the rewrapping is kind of a deal breaker for me too!
Thanks. I'll sleep better. I suspect you will too :) Nothing wrong with that .22 build, if your lips can stand the scalding, but put it on a regulated mod that can handle it, or get a two-battery parallel mech (but not a Cherry Bomber, please, lol).

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hello guys and gals! I am somewhat new to the Mech. mods and vaping in general. Im currently running a QZI with a Mutation XV3. I have just been reading alot and building new coils fairly regularly to try and get better at it.
    I have mainly stayed Sub-O between .4-.7. However I am currently running a dual parallel coil at .22 Ohm.

My question has to do with the batteries I am using. I have the EFEST 2500mAh and all the reviews I see are all over the board but leaning towards the side of NOT being a good battery for anything under .3-.4. So far I havent had any issues but that doesnt mean that I wont at some point. Im not trying to get my hand blown off so I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me or point me to a better batter for this. Ive sen ppl say the VTC4- and 5 but then again some ppl are saying most of them are knock offs?

If anyone has any insight I would be very appreciative!!

I'm definitely late to this party, but here goes...
    Yup, dump the Efests and switch to VTC4's from a reliable vendor.

And welcome to ECF! :)

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    So just wanna make sure I have this down correctly.
    A tube mech. Mod like mine won't safely power a build lower than day .4 but preferably closer to .6-.7 right?
    If I wanna go down to the .2 or lower I'd have to look at regulated and unregulated box mods?
    Perfectly correct. Put good batteries in it, stay .5 or above, and that mech will hit like a champ. If you want to go lower, you'll want to look into a regulated box, or an unregulated parallel box.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread