Battery safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtothevapelyf3

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2016
If you do that you should have them in a metal box or battery bag. They should not be charged unattended. I unplug everything at night, not worth the risk.
I mean they are charging right in front of me. So they technically aren't unattended. I won't charge them unless I'm near

Reactions: bnrkwest

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I'm not a battery expert and don't pretend to be one but I don know you shouldn't charge batteries while you sleep. Case in point, I was charging batteries on a very reliable, highly regarded charger and then one day when I took them off, they were almost too hot to handle. Stuff happens, you want to be awake to catch it.

ETA - It won't overcharge until it does. It's not worth taking the gamble.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
If you sleep you should put them in a metal box or pan or battery bag. Things fail and if you're asleep you won't know it until after the fact. I even had a cig alike fail and start smoking and sputtering, if it happened while I was asleep it could have caught something on fire.

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
If you sleep you should put them in a metal box or pan or battery bag. Things fail and if you're asleep you won't know it until after the fact. I even had a cig alike fail and start smoking and sputtering, if it happened while I was asleep it could have caught something on fire.
Cigalikes are garbage compared to the LG/Samsung/Sony batteries we all should be using. I frequently charge my LG's and Sonys overnight on a Nitecore i4, but I guess I like to live dangerously. :D

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Cigalikes are garbage compared to the LG/Samsung/Sony batteries we all should be using. I frequently charge my LG's and Sonys overnight on a Nitecore i4, but I guess I like to live dangerously. :D
Well that cig a like was back in 2010 when Cartos were just hitting the scene so way back. I Still un plug everything at night just to be safe.

Reactions: Ryedan

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the charger. I started with Xtar and have stayed with them. Never had any issues. Can't say that about a lot of other chargers (nitecore) having been reported here to do some seriously bad things.
Oh I just got two nitecore, I will watch them!

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the charger. I started with Xtar and have stayed with them. Never had any issues. Can't say that about a lot of other chargers (nitecore) having been reported here to do some seriously bad things.
Rick, Xtar is the the one one that came just short of spectacularly failing on me. I was sitting withing a foot of it when the light went green and removed the batteries. They were very hot. I now use a Nitecore. Both are reputable, until they fail. Some brands are never reputable. Never go to sleep with batteries charging, it isn't worth it.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I agree with the Flamingo (Hi stranger :)). I have a couple of Xtar chargers for vape batts, a hobby charger for those batts, and all the usual laptop, cell phone, etc batteries and chargers. None of them stay on overnight and no li-ion batts are charged in the house when I'm not here. Anything can fail no matter how well it's designed.

The way I look at it is it doesn't affect my life in a negative way to manage things this way, but one fire could be really bad. I also don't store propane tanks or gasoline in the house. Chances of any of these things starting a fire are very low, but if it happens ...

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The i4's so slow it's practically a trickle charger anyway.

Ya, that wouldn't work for me. At 1A my 18650s hardly ever take longer than 1 3/4 hours to fully charge and mostly under 1 1/2. That really helps.

The 18650s we use are typically tested for battery cycle life by being charged at around 1C, so 2-3A depending on mAh. They're taken to full charge and then discharged down to almost empty, which is harder on them than what I do so I still get better life from mine compared to test results.

And if I feel like it I take them out partly charged. If they're at 80-90% they are actually not stressed as much as at full charge.

Works for me, but as always YMMV :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread