Battery Spark LG 18650HE4 2500MAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    Well, my bf tonight got fresh batteries off the charger, put them in and the right battery sparked. He double checked, it wasn't put in backwards, and the battery didn't vent it just sparked and tore the wrapper on the top near the nipple.

Now the mod he's using is mechanical, it's the big foot. If you're not familiar, it's basically a hunk of metal, with a battery sled that uses copper on the negative side and two screw to connect to the battery, with a big ol nut that completes the circuit. It does not have a hybrid 510, it has a center post. There was no damage to the mod, and nothing on the mod seems damaged or messed up.

The tank he's using is a subtank mini, using kanger replacement .50ohm coils. Checked it on my Kbox, the mod fires fine and it finds no shorts.

So... What caused the battery to spark? I have a ton of these little LG batteries and if they're gonna be prone to this, this randomly, heck I was better using efests lol. He's afraid to use it, I don't blame him, and if it is the mod I don't want to keep ruining my batteries but I also kinda feel like it's the batteries.

These were specifically recommend to me for this setup... was it just a bad battery or what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Hey!

Efest batteries have a bad name. I would not buy them.

Sounds like the wrapper is torn on the battery and you just need to replace it. It should be fine with a new wrapper. They cost abt a dollar at your local brick and mortar vape shop, and they may even place the wrapper on the battery for you.

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    Hey!

Efest batteries have a bad name. I would not buy them.

Sounds like the wrapper is torn on the battery and you just need to replace it. It should be fine with a new wrapper. They cost abt a dollar at your local brick and mortar vape shop, and they may even place the wrapper on the battery for you.

The wrapper is torn now, but it was the spark that tore it. The tear did not cause the spark.

I've also heard that re-wrapping batteries is also dangerous. I would not put a re-wrapped battery in a mech for sure.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    I've never seen anything regarding dangers in rewraping batteries.

Only you can say how the spark happened. If you think you are placing yourself in any danger, I would tape over both posts, and turn the battery in at your local vape shop where you may purchase a new battery.

Reactions: Racehorse

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    Is he putting the battery's in correctly? There should have been a safety warning pamphlet with the mod if it was purchased new. They should be put in top (positive) end first, then using your finger pushed into place on the bottom. What you did is connect the outer negative casing (negative can, below) at the top of the battery (wrapper was either ripped or got ripped by not following the above) with the positive terminal at the top of the battery.

Please study how battery`s are constructed, how the negative casing or "can" goes completely to the top of the battery, and how the wrapper covers this, you`ll see how close the two poles actually are, and see how the little positive nub connection on the mod could connect the two if they are just slid across that nub, and how it can rip a wrapper in doing so.

lionSection.jpg

;)

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    The wrapper is torn now, but it was the spark that tore it. The tear did not cause the spark.

I've also heard that re-wrapping batteries is also dangerous. I would not put a re-wrapped battery in a mech for sure.

Sparks do not Tear things. The battery snagged metal on its way in. center and top edge touching the same surface at the same time caused the spark.

By Re-wrapped batteries, people mean Efest and others Not actually manufactured by, but sold by.
    Re-wrapping a good battery is Smart Protection
    s-l300.jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, my bf tonight got fresh batteries off the charger, put them in and the right battery sparked. He double checked, it wasn't put in backwards, and the battery didn't vent it just sparked and tore the wrapper on the top near the nipple.

Now the mod he's using is mechanical, it's the big foot. If you're not familiar, it's basically a hunk of metal, with a battery sled that uses copper on the negative side and two screw to connect to the battery, with a big ol nut that completes the circuit. It does not have a hybrid 510, it has a center post. There was no damage to the mod, and nothing on the mod seems damaged or messed up.

The tank he's using is a subtank mini, using kanger replacement .50ohm coils. Checked it on my Kbox, the mod fires fine and it finds no shorts.

Whenever the switch on a mechanical mod is pressed there is a small spark. The lower the atty resistance, the higher the power draw and the more visible the spark is. This happens every time.

The switch on that mod is far away from the battery. If the spark came from the battery something else happened. I would be amazed if the spark I'm talking about could be significant enough to melt its way through a battery wrapper.

So... What caused the battery to spark? I have a ton of these little LG batteries and if they're gonna be prone to this, this randomly, heck I was better using efests lol. He's afraid to use it, I don't blame him, and if it is the mod I don't want to keep ruining my batteries but I also kinda feel like it's the batteries.

These were specifically recommend to me for this setup... was it just a bad battery or what.

IMO the root cause for this is not the battery, something else is going on.

I didn't see the spark, so I can't compare it to what I've seen on my mods. One scenario that could have happened was the mod button was pressed by accident when the second batt was inserted and that caused the spark. The battery wrapper could have been torn already but was discovered only when inspected after the spark was seen. In this scenario there is nothing wrong with the mod or the battery, re-wrap the battery and vape on :). If you don't think re-wrapping a battery is safe just replace it. Using a battery with a damaged wrapper in a mech mod is not a good idea.

If the spark was significant enough to melt its way through a battery wrapper, you have an unsafe situation on your hands that needs to be understood and fixed before you vape that mod again.

Mech mods are really simple and if you have a basic understanding of batteries and these mods they are fairly easy to troubleshoot. If you don't have that knowledge you can learn or switch to regulated mods. It still helps to know a bit about batteries, but regulated mods have enough safety features built in to take care of most things that people can do wrong with them.

Reactions: roxynoodle

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    Whenever the switch on a mechanical mod is pressed there is a small spark. The lower the atty resistance, the higher the power draw and the more visible the spark is. This happens every time.

The switch on that mod is far away from the battery. If the spark came from the battery something else happened. I would be amazed if the spark I'm talking about could be significant enough to melt its way through a battery wrapper.

IMO the root cause for this is not the battery, something else is going on.

I didn't see the spark, so I can't compare it to what I've seen on my mods. One scenario that could have happened was the mod button was pressed by accident when the second batt was inserted and that caused the spark. The battery wrapper could have been torn already but was discovered only when inspected after the spark was seen. In this scenario there is nothing wrong with the mod or the battery, re-wrap the battery and vape on :). If you don't think re-wrapping a battery is safe just replace it. Using a battery with a damaged wrapper in a mech mod is not a good idea.

If the spark was significant enough to melt its way through a battery wrapper, you have an unsafe situation on your hands that needs to be understood and fixed before you vape that mod again.

Mech mods are really simple and if you have a basic understanding of batteries and these mods they are fairly easy to troubleshoot. If you don't have that knowledge you can learn or switch to regulated mods. It still helps to know a bit about batteries, but regulated mods have enough safety features built in to take care of most things that people can do wrong with them.

He says he's planning on taking a multimeter to the mod today.

But I agree with you something else is going on.

These batteries are more or less brand new and I know the wrapper wasn't torn before he put them in the mod.

Yes it happened in the mod.

I can't say exactly how it was put into the mod, but it was the second battery (it's a parallel mod). It is highly possible the wrapper tore during placement like it caught something or something. That I can't say for sure.

Now that it's sunny I can take a pic of the battery.

af061f673a33d64280eacae44f9356bf.jpg

7b69cd302f7594d0e4a215db0a125055.jpg

And that's what the spark did. If left connected I'm sure it would have vented.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2014
    Fontana, CA
    monotremata.bandcamp.com
    That right there looks to me like it was snagged on something when he put it in and tore it.. As has already been said, a spark wouldnt have ripped the wrapper, it wouldve melted part of it. The HE4s are fine, I have a pair thats been in use over a year that are still running with no issues. However, the wraps on my LGs seem to not be as 'sturdy' as the wraps on my Samsungs. I have to retire my HE2's until I can rewrap them because theres quite a few rips in them after a year of use. My Sigelei Mini's battery compartment was pretty hard on those wrappers.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    My thought last night when you first posted is that the wrapper tore when he put it in, which then caused the spark. Follow the above directions for how to put batteries in this mod.

And yes, let them rest an hour off the charger. They can be unstable right after charging.

And yes, you can safely rewrap the battery. I do it anytime I get a tear.

Reactions: puffon

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    Thank you everyone that does make me feel better.

I will probably replace that battery at least because it looks pretty damaged.

But I kinda think y'all are right. Especially after looking at the other set of batteries he uses in that mod... It seems to be unkind to the tops of the wrappers. The tops of the other two are kinda tattered. Not torn but look very worn.

I don't know how I can keep that from happening in the mod...

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 31, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Yes. It shorted. The spark was looking for a ground. Think of it as a car battery. If you attach the positive and negative leads to the battery then touch the unmounted positive and negative clips on the other end....what happens.....it sparks.

My guess is what happened was that when you inserted the battery, the wrapper tore exposing the negative battery housing and this made contact at the exact same time as the positive nipple of the battery with the positive contact on the mod which threw the spark. Not cool.

Most mods have one side of the contacts that depresses a little bit. When you insert the battery, you put a little pressure on the side of the battery where the mod contact depresses then you press in the other side. It creates clearance for the other side of the battery to go in.

Some mods, the positive contact has a spring like contact to depress the battery into. On other mods the negative side has the spring like contact.

Mods that do not have this feature are problematic. The battery wrappers tear. It's difficult to remove the battery.

Many times these spring like contacts are very stiff when fresh out of the box. I typically depress them many times to get them to loosen up so when my batts go in there is some room for "play" to create the clearance necessary to not tear my battery wrapper.

For instance the REO has an exposed negative spring where you can place the negative side of the battery on the spring so it's nice and grounded, push down on the battery and have plenty of room for clearance to slide the positive side of the battery under the positive contact of the mod. One of the great features of the REO. It's ingenious as the spring also tells you if your mod is overloaded. If there is a short the spring will collapse rendering the mod useless and safe until you install another spring after fixing the short or rebuilding your coil to a resistance that the mod can handle.

I would throw that battery out that threw that spark. It affected the battery and tore the wrapper.

Post a pic of the contacts inside your mod so we can see what you are dealing with.

DIY sled mods have extremely tight contacts and do like to tear battery wrappers. The sled contacts need to be loosened quite abit to be safe.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Racehorse

David Wolf

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you everyone that does make me feel better.

I will probably replace that battery at least because it looks pretty damaged.

But I kinda think y'all are right. Especially after looking at the other set of batteries he uses in that mod... It seems to be unkind to the tops of the wrappers. The tops of the other two are kinda tattered. Not torn but look very worn.

I don't know how I can keep that from happening in the mod...

I'm with you after looking at your pictures, get rid of that battery doesn't look like just a wrapper snag issue, looks more to me like the top lip of the battery has pushed out due to pressure which in turn ripped the wrapper. I would check out the mech mod like your bf is going to do before I would try using it again.

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    I had him take the battery back to the shop that we bought them from. (It's the only shop I buy batteries from in town because he's the only shop owner I trust.)

He looked at the battery and kinda agreed that he thinks it's the wrapper. I was told he looked at the mod and said it was fine, tossed the battery in the charge and said it tested ok. Took the pair back to the back and re-wrapped them, stuck them back into the mod and tried it a couple times and said good to go.

He's using them right now and everything seems ok. Idk it has me kinda nervous though.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 31, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    I had him take the battery back to the shop that we bought them from. (It's the only shop I buy batteries from in town because he's the only shop owner I trust.)

He looked at the battery and kinda agreed that he thinks it's the wrapper. I was told he looked at the mod and said it was fine, tossed the battery in the charge and said it tested ok. Took the pair back to the back and re-wrapped them, stuck them back into the mod and tried it a couple times and said good to go.

He's using them right now and everything seems ok. Idk it has me kinda nervous though.

The diy sled is too tight and may tear another battery.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md

As long as the Re-wrapped looks as correct as the originals - Good to go! A quick spark will rarely do any kind of permanent damage, just a mild discharge.

Always place the + in first if possible. Then slip the - end into place. UNLESS, the - is spring loaded. Then you place - end and pull toward it to clear the + while pressing in place.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread