Battery went down to 2.91 volts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You didn't say what PV you were vaping, but I'm thinking a mech. Normal cutoff is 3.2v to 3.4v. Li-ion and lMR batteries don't respond well to discharge below 3 volts. Some will cease to function forever if you discharge to 2.5v.

Normally, there's a point where the vape volume and flavor drops off noticeably. That happens on a mech about 3.2v to 3.4v and I notice it before that point. 2.9v isn't a safety problem, but you might want to charge when it hits 3.4v to 3.5v for the best life from your batteries.

Some time spent here will bring you up to speed on batteries quickly.
Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Last edited:

shortpballer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oh, and you are correct, I'm using a mech mod.

You didn't say what PV you were vaping, but I'm thinking a mech. Normal cutoff is 3.2v to 3.4v. Li-ion and lMR batteries don't respond well to discharge below 3 volts. Some will cease to function forever if you discharge to 2.5v.

Normally, there's a point where the vape volume and flavor drops off noticeably. That happens on a mech about 3.2v to 3.4v and I notice it before that point. 2.9v isn't a safety problem, but you might want to charge at 3.4v to 3.5v for the best life from your batteries.

Some time spent here will bring you up to speed on batteries quickly.
Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Normal I recharge my batteries at 3.6 volts.

You say that I should only charge my batteries to 3.4-3.5 volts? If I do this they don't last long at all...
.... the price you pay for vaping dual or sub-ohm coils.

As Dave stated, you will notice a loss of production before hitting the LVT (low voltage threshold). Most electronic devices won't permit you to vape below 3.2V

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Just used my battery a little more than expected due getting a dual coil atomizer and lower ohms. Didn't realize this but vaped for about normal time, and when battery went on to the charger it was at 2.91 volts. Is this a huge problem? Or just try to not do this anymore?

What battery are you using?

Normal cutoff is 3.2v to 3.4v. Li-ion and lMR batteries don't respond well to discharge below 3 volts. Some will cease to function forever if you discharge to 2.5v.

IMR, Hybrids, and most high quality ICR's and just fine down to 2.5V and can be recovered (with a good charger) with minimal damage from a short stint down to 2.0v. Below 2.0v they should be tossed.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Normal I recharge my batteries at 3.6 volts.

You say that I should only charge my batteries to 3.4-3.5 volts? If I do this they don't last long at all...

I caught that on the re-read and edited before I saw your post. :)

I intended to say that long battery life depends on not stressing the battery. Putting it on the charger when it drains down in the 3.4v to 3.5v range will extend the overall life. Most if not all chargers green light at 4.1v to 4.2v.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My understanding is that to get the longest life life out of a battery is to charge to 4.05 a and recharge at 3.6 volts. This isn't about safety and the only reason to do is to prolong the battery life. Too much trouble for me.
I charge mine to 4.19 because that's wht my charger does and recharge at 3.6.

I rarely let mine go to cutoff. My Provari will go to 3.2 and the Zmax cuts off at 3.3. I try to always get it back on the charger by 3.5v. If I'm headed out the door, I will swap sooner just to get a fresh battery in the tube and I always carry a battery box with one fresh battery and a filled carto for backup. That's my "extra pack" just in case I get waylaid and my 3ml bottle is empty.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just used my battery a little more than expected due getting a dual coil atomizer and lower ohms. Didn't realize this but vaped for about normal time, and when battery went on to the charger it was at 2.91 volts. Is this a huge problem? Or just try to not do this anymore?

It's not a big problem. Charge it and vape on. I have twice taken a MNKE 18650 to 2.7V and had no change in performance afterwards. I use a Xtar WP2 charger.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
Over-discharging Lithium-ion

Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible. To prevent a battery from falling asleep, apply a partial charge before a long storage period.

Battery manufacturers ship batteries with a 40 percent charge. The low charge state reduces aging-related stress while allowing some self-discharge during storage. To minimize the current flow for the protection circuit before the battery is sold, advanced Li-ion packs feature a sleep mode that disables the protection circuit until activated by a brief charge or discharge. Once engaged, the battery remains operational and the on state can no longer be switched back to the standby mode.

Do not recharge lithium-ion if a cell has stayed at or below 1.5V for more than a week. Copper shunts may have formed inside the cells that can lead to a partial or total electrical short. If recharged, the cells might become unstable, causing excessive heat or showing other anomalies. Li-ion packs that have been under stress are more sensitive to mechanical abuse, such as vibration, dropping and exposure to heat.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Thanks everyone for your responses! Guess I gotta get used to dual coil. I'm goin through 4-5 18350 batteries per day. Vaping around 4 mL... Is this normal with AW batteries? I've been hearin most people use 2 batteries a day...
All depends on much wattage you are pushing and your vaping technique, AND the mAh of the battery...if you are like my buddy that takes a simple puff, then his 650mAh eGo does fine..but if you vape like a freight train like I do...a 1300mAh will only last you 12 hours or so, and depending on if you run at 6 watts or 15watts will also determine how long the charge lasts

Just make sure you keep your spares in a plastic safety carrying case!

Last edited:

shortpballer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thats why I ask, I hear people always saying that one battery will last them 12 hours...
My batteries last my like an hour of heaving vaping MAX. I'm using 18350 on .8ohms maybe thats why? And I definitely do not take small puffs ;)

Just find it weird that I go through 5 18350's in a day...

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

All depends on much wattage you are pushing and your vaping technique, AND the mAh of the battery...if you are like my buddy that takes a simple puff, then his 650mAh eGo does fine..but if you vape like a freight train like I do...a 1300mAh will only last you 12 hours or so, and depending on if you run at 6 watts or 15watts will also determine how long the charge lasts

Just make sure you keep your spares in a plastic safety carrying case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread