Battery / xtar vc4 charger question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castielzed

Apr 18, 2016
Hello experts, i have a small question pls...

Im using a LG HG2 battery and xtar vc4 charger. I know that the lg is 3000mah but after fully charging the battery it doesnt show 3000mah in the charger display, should i be expecting for it to display as 3000mah when full charge?

1522ca3c1a2e80134ca73b8011eba8ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom Waznis

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
This chargers description says "This intelligent charger can recognize, charge, and display charging current, battery voltage, and charge capacity of both Ni-MH and Li-ion batteries at the same time!" Nothing about milliamp hours/MAH so I have no idea what the 1597 & 159 mah is. I'm pretty sure it isn't your battery. If you try another battery and it DOES show the correct MAH of that battery then there is something wrong with the batteries in ch2 and ch3. I don't see a display for ch1. I would think they would put that in the description if it displayed the MAH of your batteries.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I found these answers on a forum where someone asked a question similar to yours about the Xtar VC4.

Question: blah, blah, blah..."When I went to check the charger after charging for many hours, they all read FULL, but the mAh read 1644, 1674, 1671 and 1661. I thought the mAh on these batteries were suppose to be 2600mAh? Is this correct or are these batteries not VTC5's? Can someone tell me if this is correct?"

Answers:

If they started charging from say 3.5v then the reading is right. They would need to be discharged to 2.5v then stuck on the charger. It will give a reading of how many mah are charged into the battery not the whole capacity of the battery.

It's normal for chargers like that to only show you the mAh the charge cycle added to the cell, not the total capacity. It's a better estimate of how much useable capacity you have in the cell.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The Ocelot! :) Howdy, Kitty! That explains it--I think...:blink:

It's normal for chargers like that to only show you the mAh the charge cycle added to the cell, not the total capacity. It's a better estimate of how much useable capacity you have in the cell.

But is it? I really don't care how many milliamps I added to the cell--I'd rather see the total I have at my disposal, no? Just like the charge of the battery--it tells you when the battery is fully charged at ~4.2v.

But at least now we know. Thanks!

Reactions: The Ocelot

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
The Ocelot! :) Howdy, Kitty! That explains it--I think...:blink:

But is it? I really don't care how many milliamps I added to the cell--I'd rather see the total I have at my disposal, no? Just like the charge of the battery--it tells you when the battery is fully charged at ~4.2v.

But at least now we know. Thanks!

I agree. It would be like filling up your vehicle with gas and only knowing how much you put in, not if the tank is full - although I guess it would be full-ish when the pump shut off.

Hi back Birdy! You don't see me around much, since I have little advice for new members. I've been using the same (or similar) gear for at least 3 years and know nothing about most of the products on the market now.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I agree. It would be like filling up your vehicle with gas and only knowing how much you put in, not if the tank is full - although I guess it would be full-ish when the pump shut off.

So it's more like the meter on the gas pump and not the gauge on the dashboard, telling you (and charging for) what you put in the tank. (Although I much prefer paying for what I put in, and not a full tank every time I top up! :w00t: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread