Battey Musing: Can I use battery X in mod Y?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Can I use battery X in mod Y?

I'm often asked this question, or a variation of it. Can a certain battery can be used in a particular mod or type of mod? Especially for mods like the Noisy Cricket and other mechanical mods.

The answer is easy...you can use ANY battery in ANY mod as long as it fits and your power setting (for a regulated mod) or coil resistance (for an unregulated/mechanical mod) doesn't exceed the capability of the battery.

You don't need a Sony VTC5A or LG HB6 if you're using 0.2 ohms coils, or higher, in a single battery mechanical mod. Or if you're using 0.4 ohm coils, or higher, in a Noisy Cricket. You'll be drawing less than 20A and can easily use 3000mAh HG2's, 30Q's, or VTC6's instead and enjoy the extra vaping time before needing to recharge.

It's the same for regulated mods. There's no need to use high amp-rated batteries like the VTC4, VTC5A, or HB6 in mods like the RX200 because you can't draw more than 23A from the batteries. Any good 20A battery can handle that since it's pulsed.

This holds true for any mod, power setting, or coil resistance. What matters is matching your battery's true capabilities to the way you vape. But be aware of exaggerated battery ratings!

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    But one should note that running lower discharge batteries close to their amp limit often means that there's no benefit from the extra mAh, right? For example, low discharge 3500 mAh batteries might actually give a shorter battery runtime than 20 amp 3000 mAh batteries.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    But one should note that running lower discharge batteries close to their amp limit often means that there's no benefit from the extra mAh, right? For example, low discharge 3500 mAh batteries might actually give a shorter battery runtime than 20 amp 3000 mAh batteries.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Yes, that's true. You can still use any battery in any mod but some batteries will perform better, and be a better choice, than others. That's a while bunch of other posts/blog entries though. :)

Reactions: KenD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread