Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
I'm on the mtl side of things and I can see her point of view, to an extent.
If the space outside is large enough, and you won't impact anybody, do as you will.
If your in crowds of people I think it's a bit ott.
I think common sense is helpful and I wouldn't want a dude (or dudette) chucking clouds of anything in my face, and I vape :eek:
I think it's inconsiderate and rude.
Get yourself an mtl setup for those times when your in big crowds.

Good on you for making the switch :thumbs:

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
A great thing about vaping is the ability to adjust the vape situationally. Small device and clouds for discretion when needed or big clouds when it’s appropriate. Whatever the situation requires to keep you from smoking, you should try it, and try to find a compromise with your partner.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I can relate to the girlfriend problem with vaping. My GF insists that when I vape, I am vaping pure nicotine which is worse than a cigarette. She will not read any of the materials I have found on the net showing that is not true. Literally, she tells me a couple times a day to go back to smoking - that my vaping shows that I am not ready to quit - I have been dual using.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm so sorry tgs3, that must be a pain. Is your GF a non-smoker, or a smoker? That's such a weird response (to me, but I know I'm not representative of the entire population...) and to not even be willing to read about it?

I'm afraid I'd be tempted to "quit vaping" for a little while, then manufacture a cancer scare (I guess you'd need to schedule your yearly checkup and go) and freak out about it for a few weeks while leaving really large stacks of material about vaping handy while continuing to smoke and while saying stuff like, "My doctor wants me to vape, but you probably know more, Honey, so I'm going to keep smoking...."

That's actually a terrible idea, but I think it might be smart to set some limits, honestly. Is vaping more important or the GF? Do you care enough about YOURSELF to just set a limit with her, something like, "I will be leaving the house/your presence any time you bring up the evils of vaping UNTIL you read some research."

I've found that controlling people HATE limits, but they often tend to have abandonment complexes, honestly, it seems to go hand in hand, so you may terrify her for a bit, but she'll come around. And, you are just setting a boundary which is a perfectly healthy thing to do in a relationship. Believe me, I've had to do that before, most often with my MOTHER, but sometimes with the husband (not about vaping, but he was pretty bossy early in our relationship and that was Not Going to Work. I actually kicked him out once until he was willing to go to marriage counseling. You have to value yourself pretty highly to do that and it needs to be a pressing issue (it was) but we both gained skills and it was good in the end. Maybe ask her to go to relationship counseling about it? That might be a nicer FIRST approach....

But, in this way me and the husband have both gotten better about allowing each other to do what we need for ourselves, and that's HEALTHY. It can be a chore getting there, but that's HEALTHY.

Anna

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Anna. She is an ex-smoker. She quit using Chantix which she insists is the only way to go. I think the change does frighten her and she attempts to be very controlling. I did fall off the wagon for almost two weeks, I am sorry to say, but four days ago, began turning it around.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, if she's scared, maybe asking if it would be more comfortable talking about it with a counselor might help (DO NOT go to a counselor who is an ex-smoker, via whatever means, OR a vaper and it's perfectly fine to explain that vaping is the issue on the phone and that you need someone unbiased who can just help around communication with the research). You want someone neutral, and any counselor unwilling to answer those questions should be off the list because they are perfectly valid questions.

Also, ask the counselor what skills they have in improving communication and decreasing rigidity. That's probably the nicest way to go, first. If the GF refuses, start implementing the limit/leave her presence strategy. Just make sure you make that clear up front, and be consistent, even if it's at an incredibly annoying time (pack a bag if you need to) because I guarantee she will start picking extremely inconvenient times for you to leave.

Do keep in mind these are just my ideas (though I have dealt with this kind of issue at work and at home, I do have SOME exp. in it) but she's gotta get through the fear somehow, and caving won't work.

Best of luck, I didn't enjoy kicking the husband out of my house, but it was SO worth it, probably one of the best things ever I did for our relationship. I had a feeling he would come around, but I was ready to live by myself if he didn't.

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: tgs3

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I can relate to the girlfriend problem with vaping. My GF insists that when I vape, I am vaping pure nicotine which is worse than a cigarette. She will not read any of the materials I have found on the net showing that is not true. Literally, she tells me a couple times a day to go back to smoking - that my vaping shows that I am not ready to quit - I have been dual using.
My reaction would be pretty extreme, as in "What kind of idiot are you?!" Etc.

Sorry, I know not very helpful.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread