Beginner in Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeScrub

Sep 1, 2015
Hey guys! After much lurking this forum and seeing as how helpful this community is to one another, maybe you guys can help shed some light and point me into the right mod for me.

Im mostly interested in a durable, flavorful, and decent cloud-forming box mod/APV.

After a handful of videos and reviews i seem to be interested in the iStick 50w or 100w (kinda dubious in getting the 100w due to the external batteries) with either an Aspire Triton tank or the Aspire Mega tank.

Im willing to spend 100 bucks...itd be great if this would include the e juices and stuff.

My question is: Is there a set up that would provide me with more bang for my buck? Also these "coils" people talk about, do i have to build them or construct these coils or can i just buy replacements online? Thanks you so much for your time and any type of input will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Well, the difference between an internal battery like the iStick50w is when that battery pack finally dies, the mod itself is then useless, though as a beginner getting in or a next step up as a backup unit, they are stellar in that regards, and still a solid unit.

Mods that use externally charged batteries are generally the better investment. Batteries finally die or become useless, the mod is still good, just have to buy new batteries for it. Also, Lithium Ion IMR and INR batteries are also generally much more safe than the Lithium Polymer batteries in internal battery packs, thus more stable and less likely to go into a thermal meltdown compared to the LiPo's. Yes, this tacks on the extra cost of an external charger, but with a single battery mod, you'd need just a dual bay charger, and two batteries, one in use, the other charging, not locking yourself to a wall outlet and wall wart when they need charging.

The Triton and Atlantis Mega are both solid tanks, and have great performance with stock coil heads, so you are good there.

Think kit you have posted is still a very good combination, no faulting it other than the iStick50w internal battery and charger, but will serve you very well, yet the iStick100w has a bit more expansion capabilities, and is not as disposable as its 50w little brother, thus lasting you a lot longer.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Personally the 100w out of the 2 you were looking at. I haven't used it honestly, but external batteries are a plus when the batteries die out after a few months or so. You don't have to trash the mod, just get a new set of batteries. This however adds the cost of an external charger since I wouldn't charge them in mod even if there was a charge port.

Some tanks you build coils, some you buy replacement coils. Some have both options.

I haven't used either tank you mentioned, but the triton does look nice. I had the iStick 50w and I liked it, but some people have had problems with theirs just like all mods out there. Adding juice is the expensive part. Especially when most "premium" e-juices are $22 for a 30ml. Some sites, like eciggity usually have 10% off all the time since reviewers promote them so that could help a bit on price too.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
VapeScrub, you being a beginner, I strongly recommend that you "scrub" the idea of starting out in the advanced vape category. Many here disagree with me but I feel I.m right.
It's a little like learning how to drive on a formula one car. It can be done, but your crusin for a terrible crash. I would buy a simple kit to establish your basic wants/needs (nic and PG/VG combos,temp cloud and flavor etc.). Then once you know what you really need, then start looking at more advanced options.
Hopefully, others will recommend a simple kit ($30-40?) for you to get started.

Reactions: David Wolf

roisterboy

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
I'd recommend the Joye Evic VT, goes to 60w, internal batteries, runs well out of Temp Control mode, and it is ready for TC when you are. I've been using one since it came out and I love it
I feel the evic VT would be a little much for a beginner. I think you would do just fine on and iStick 30w. I have been vaping for years and hardly ever go over 30 watts. I also don't use temp control that much at all. Your choice in a tank is very important. I have a Kangertech Sub Tank Mini. I am happy w it but have had some leaking issues. The Aspire Atlantis, Triton, Joyetech Delta, or Horizon Tech Artic would be good choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
There's so many pros and cons to each mod it's difficult to give the correct info to you. When I got my first mod it was the 50 w Istick and I bought two of them (one for a back up, while the other charges). Not had an issue with either.

Internal versus external/removable batteries is a decision in itself. Both have their advantages. If you're thinking about getting/growing into the higher advanced vape I would recommend the removable battery style mods. Most of the really high power mods are made for this. The added expense is having a separate battery charger ($15 to $30) to recharge the batteries (highly recommended by the experts in the forum), plus more than one set of quality batteries ($20 to $30).

Most mods are easy to understand for simple use. But if you're going to go sub ohm, then you should know a lot of battery safety, ohms law, and the dangers of crossing the line so to speak. Sub ohming is really not for beginners.

Probably the most highly recommended mod/tank combo on the forum for beginners is the iStick 30 watt and the Aspire Nautilus Mini. Both are user friendly and give a quality vape, with room to grow. (The iStick 40 w temperature control mod can be had for the same price as the 30 watt if you shop for it).

4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

Pixelhobo

Jan 4, 2015
Huntsville, AL
The Kanger Subox is a kit that can grow with you if you're beginning. You can get the 1.5 ohm coils, 4.5ml of juice capacity, external batteries, and you can get different coils if you want to explore or even try your hand at building on the RBA head when you feel adventurous. It's actually a sharp looking kit to boot and not big at all.

John B

Sep 2, 2015
Man,
I went out of town for a couple days with my Kanger and for some reason everything tastes like crap thru it.
Maybe I don't know what I'm doing but I've tried a new atomizer, primed it well, tried several wattages and
still cant get it to vape right. It's well charged, I haven't tried any new juice or anything. Just a funky
very dry very harsh vape now that tastes like hell. I do notice that my e-juice seems very thick compared to
other brands I've tried in the past and it's a 100% VG juice. Could this have anything to do with it?
It's also "crackling" when I press the button. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks ,
JB

roisterboy

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
If you are vaping Max VG in a tank, then that is your problem. I don't use anything above 50 pg/60 vg juice. I have never had good luck with high vg juice in my kanger subtank mini. Try a new juice lower vg. When you use a new atty, make sure you drip 3 to 5 drops directly in the atty. Also, let it sit in a full tank of juice for a good ten minutes before you vape it. Hope this helps!

John B

Sep 2, 2015
Maybe I have a technical issue. I just cleaned everything, primed the heck out of a newly cottoned atomizer, put in the 50/50 ejuice and even tho the
atomizer is working (i hear it crackling and the draw is warm) I'm getting very minimal vapor no matter what wattage I set it at.
Even tried a pre-made atomizer (or whatever you call it) and same issue. Very little vapor and tastes like heck.
Hmmmm....
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread