Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Tired of buying coil heads. Never attempt to build my own. Do I need the building kits or just buy a I'm reader? tanks and what size wire?
You don't NEED a kit, but they do make it that much easier. My personal building kit includes drill bits in the sizes I use for coils(usually 1/16"), nail clippers, screwdriver, ohm meter, tweezers, and scissors for cutting wicks.

As for wire sizes, depends on the resistance you want and how you want your coils to be. I build my single coils to around 0.8ohm, 1/16" inner diameter, and I typically use 26g kanthal.

Reactions: inspects

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Which wire will be determined by what kind of Vape you desire, what you plan to mount the coil in and to a lesser extent what you are going to power this coil with.

I vape at 1ohm to 1.3 ohms and use 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 gauge wire in both kanthal and nichrome. Can do 3+ohm or ohms too low for my batteries and any ohm between. Can make a 1ohm coil that requires a fog horn or a 1 ohm coil that makes no cloud, heck I could even do a 1 ohm coil that turn vape juice to SMOKE. Point is you have to decide on the atomizer, dripper or tank doesn't matter as much as type of vape you desire. Then decide on which wire will be required to get that vape from the equiptment you have.

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
One of these come in handy if you plan to use resources like Steam Engine for calculating ohms. Drill bits and micro screwdrivers work fine, but the jigs give you a few things less to keep up with in your kit.

I've tried a few sets of ceramic tweezers, from cheap-o eBay specials to more expensive brands, and don't particularly care for them. I lifted a regular pair of tweezers from an old manicure kit that my wife no longer uses and pretty much use them exclusively for pinching coils. You probably have a similar pair sitting unused in a drawer somewhere.

A decent pair of micro wire cutters are a must. Tried using some nail clippers from the same manicure kit, they were rubbish. Get the wire cutters. Also have a sharp pair of scissors, the smaller ones work best in my experience.

For simple, no-nonsense coil builds, I personally recommend Kanthal A1. Gauge is dependent on the ohms you're shooting for; 24/26-30 should suffice for many simple builds. Venture out to more complex builds and different metals once you can build the simple coils comfortably and cleanly and understand the benefits and potential risks of temperature-dependent coils.

Wicking material is your preference. I've recently been enjoying unbleached Japanese cotton pads, but still have a few metric tons of organic cotton puffballs that I bought when I first began building. One unraveled ball can last multiple dual-coil builds if you're conservative with the stuff. I don't think I'll ever run out of the big pack I have, no matter how hard I try.

A digital voltage/ohm reader with 510 connection is useful if you don't trust the readings your mod gives you, assuming you own a mod that displays your ohms. I have an inexpensive digital eLeaf reader that I rarely use anymore.

Shop around and all of this can probably be had for less than many of the decent kits on the market. Plus you'll have a nearly unlimited supply of the finite items. Knowledge is the only item that won't come with any kit, but luckily for all of us it's abundant and free. Don't skimp out on that one if you decide to build your own.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
Tired of buying coil heads. Never attempt to build my own. Do I need the building kits or just buy a I'm reader? Tanks and what size wire?

What everyone else has already said. Plus, if you google "Building RDA coils" you'll be able to see how it's done by different people on Youtube. Once you've made a few it becomes second nature.

Make sure you have an ohm meter. Buying one with 510 threads allows you to use the meter to hold the RDA while your building. Coil Master makes a good kit which has everything you would need and makes perfect coils every time. Coil Master has videos too.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
In the 1 ohm to 2 ohm range you can use 28ga kanthal. Steam Engine will tell you what diameter and the number of wraps to achieve the resistance you want. One of those little square box ohm meters with the digital display is a good base for holding your coil while you install it on the coil deck. Using it will keep your hands free for installing the coil and it will give you a digital readout for resistance readings.

A micro butane torch is a must for annealing wire. Kanthal is springy unless it's heated before winding. Heating it makes it retain the shape and removes the tendency to unwind.

A coil winder or coil mandrel is a must for winding coils, IMO. Yes, you can use a drill bit or a bolt, but the coil winder is just easier and more efficient.

For a first RTA, the Kayfun is wildly popular. Get the Kayfun lite plus or the Kayfun 3.1. It's a single coil deck and will give you a better vape than most of the factory coils you are used to. It has an easy side fill port for juice and it's simple to build and maintain.

IF you are into sub ohming, buy the LEMO 2. It has a similar deck to the Kayfun and an easy tool free fill port for juice. It also has an air port that will go from tight to lung inhale with the twist of the tank bottom air cover.

Buy a set of micro screwdrivers. The Stanley set with the yellow bumblebee handles is wildly popular. Go to Harbor Freight and you can find all of the tools you need, including a set of metal tweezers, the torch, and mini screwdrivers.

Last edited:

drugarth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2015
Netherlands, groningen
For a first I DON'T recommend a Kayfun or any RTA with screws, pick one with posts for the coils, much easier....I like the Bellus or goblin mini (v2), the have both single and dual coil options, and I find them very easy.
Another great tank is the Indulgence mutank, also has both single and dual coil, and also factory coil option, als has 4 post rta and velocity deck (optional), so very versatile. It is more targeted to sub-ohm crowd though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread