Beginner setup help request

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiax04

Feb 4, 2017
New Zealand
Hi everyone,

First of all, this forum is great. Thank you all for the support.

My last cold turkey quit attempt just failed yesterday on day 11 on a bad day; so that's it. I will go on vaping and try to quit analogs first and then nicotine altogether.

I would appreciate a bit of help here, just to see if my set up if suitable or no, I am a beginner, so please bear with me.

I have an istick 30W battery, and using a Aspire K3 tank. I have been reading many different forums and opinions and I am just lost! Some people say this is more towards a pro combination and not suitable for a newbie like me, but when buying this the person at the counter said this is a good start for you as this has a huge battery and indicator and etc. Honestly, I don't want to invest into another setup right now, as this one was a bit more expensive than my budget in the first place, but I just wanted to get something that is good enough to help me quit.

So my questions are:

1. Is this not suitable for me to start? What should I know when starting to use this combo?

2. I have read on some forums that this setup has a higher capability of delivering nicotine, so I may be receiving more nicotine than pen users get from the same liquid. I have tried 16mg, 12mg, and they seemed fine, but I used to get dizziness after a few days (I never found out the reason nor did my GPs! and it wasn't dehydration; this was confirmed).

3. During my trial and errors I have some liquids from different brands. Consisting of various nicotine levels, flavors, PG/VG combination. Is it okay if I mix them myself to reach a certain nicotine level and try out to find the best for me?

4. What would be the ideal PG/VG ratio for me? A starting point to study this would be appreciated.

5. After how long of use can I reduce my nicotine level? In fact, I am tired of being addicted and devoting all my thoughts to the damned nicotine, so in the next few months I just want to get free.

Thank you guys, sorry if some of these have already been covered. I just don't know where to start :)

Regards.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hi everyone,

My last cold turkey quit attempt just failed yesterday on day 11 on a bad day; so that's it. I will go on vaping and try to quit analogs first and then nicotine altogether.

I would appreciate a bit of help here, just to see if my set up if suitable or no, I am a beginner, so please bear with me.

I have an iStick 30W battery, and using a Aspire K3 Tank. I have been reading many different forums and opinions and I am just lost! Some people say this is more towards a pro combination and not suitable for a newbie like me, but when buying this the person at the counter said this is a good start for you as this has a huge battery and indicator and etc. Honestly, I don't want to invest into another setup right now, as this one was a bit more expensive than my budget in the first place, but I just wanted to get something that is good enough to help me quit.

So my questions are:

1. Is this not suitable for me to start? What should I know when starting to use this combo?

2. I have read on some forums that this setup has a higher capability of delivering nicotine, so I may be receiving more nicotine than pen users get from the same liquid. I have tried 16mg, 12mg, and they seemed fine, but I used to get dizziness after a few days (I never found out the reason nor did my GPs! and it wasn't dehydration; this was confirmed).

3. During my trial and errors I have some liquids from different brands. Consisting of various nicotine levels, flavors, PG/VG combination. Is it okay if I mix them myself to reach a certain nicotine level and try out to find the best for me?

4. What would be the ideal PG/VG ratio for me? A starting point to study this would be appreciated.

5. After how long of use can I reduce my nicotine level? In fact, I am tired of being addicted and devoting all my thoughts to the damned nicotine, so in the next few months I just want to get free.

Thank you guys, sorry if some of these have already been covered. I just don't know where to start :)

Regards.

Welcome @hiax04!

The iStick 30 is a great little device. You would merely need to watch how low of a coil you try to use. The iStick 30 was a daily driver for me for about a year when I first started vaping. I'm not familiar with the K3, but when I looked at it online, it seems like a decent MTL (mouth-to-lung) type of tank.

PG/VG ratios are at the discretion of the vaper. Personally, I do "max VG" - I mix my own liquids. When I started, I dabbled with 60P/40V, 50/50, 40P/60V based on where I bought my juice. Higher PG will help with throat hit and a touch more flavor. High VG will yield denser clouds and mellow the flavor.

With respect to the dizziness, a lot depends on how frequently you're vaping. If you're hitting 16mg multiple times an hour, I could see how you're getting dizzy. Your body will tell you when you need more or less nicotine. You might want to have a couple of different setups - higher nic for stronger cravings; lower nic for "normal" vaping. Some people have reactions to PG or VG. Hard to say if that's in play - you may just have to experiment to determine if that's a factor.

Don't "pressure" yourself into lowering your nic. Get your smoking craving under control first. Then, as you get more comfortable, you can start dropping. Some folks around here are still in the 15-18mg range after many years of vaping. Others drop from 24 to 12 to 6 to 3 to zero. I'm around 6mg now (I've dropped by about 1/2 over the past year. I might drop to 3 through this year, but I haven't decided if that's on my plate yet. I've been vaping for just over 3 years now.)

The point of my dissertation is that each of us has different likes and needs. You may have to try a few different things to find what works for *YOU*. Not everyone can quit after the first vape. I smoked and vaped for about a month before I decided I didn't want to spend any more money on cigarettes. THAT was my moment that has kept me in this game.

Good Luck. I'm sure some smarter folks will be along to offer advice.

Cheers.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Its fine for a starter. The K3 uses the 1.8 BVC coils if Im not mistaken. 12mg is probably the max I would try with it but I have friends that vape 36mg so its up to what you need. 50/50 is a good starting point. BVC coils don't do well with high VG blends. The dizziness could be coming from you quiting. Your body will do some really strange things for a while. Trust me, you will know when its time to reduce your nic level. Remember, its not just the nic that causes the withdrawal.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hi everyone,

I have an iStick 30W battery, and using a Aspire K3 Tank. I have been reading many different forums and opinions and I am just lost! Some people say this is more towards a pro combination and not suitable for a newbie like me, but when buying this the person at the counter said this is a good start for you as this has a huge battery and indicator and etc. Honestly, I don't want to invest into another setup right now, as this one was a bit more expensive than my budget in the first place, but I just wanted to get something that is good enough to help me quit.

So my questions are:

Regards.

1) Your kit appears to be just fine. The iStick30watt though a little older technology wise is still quite sufficient as an entry level battery/mod device, many people have stopped smoking with them as it is flexible from low powered Mouth To Lung (MTL) method to getting into the low sub-ohm Direct To Lung (DTL) method depending on the tank/atomizer and the resistance and wattage. The K3 tank, never dealt with it before, though looking at it on Aspire's website, a 1.8ohm resistance coil head it is more toward the MTL level of things like its older brother the Aspire Nautilus line, so about a range of 8 to 15watts will be its sweet spot of operation. Best advice is to properly prime the coil heads before installing them, set your watts lower than the coil you replaced, assemble the tank, let it sit about 5 minutes to soak further, then gradually start with short, low wattage puffs (3 to 5 second pulls at about 8 watts), after about 15 to 20 minutes increase the power 1 to 2 watts and take longer pulls, another 20minutes up the power again a notch or two, repeat until you reach happy zone in flavor and throat hit, moment you sense or feel a scratchy getting dry hit, back it down a watt or two that will be the sweet spot.
3, 4 and 5) PG/VG ratio for that tank, looking at the coil heads and drawing off my experience with the Nautilus, about a range of 30PG/70VG ratio thickest to anything below that 90PG/10VG ect, anything over 70VG will wick to slow if you chain vape. Regarding how long before you drop nic level, that is all dependent upon you and your physical body requirements. This ties into necessary start nic level by knowing how many smokes/packs of smokes a day you did smoke and for how long you smoked, example 1.5pack a day for 20years smoker I'd suggest a 12 to 18mg (1.2 to 1.8%) nic level with your style tank, after it is dependent on your body detoxing at its own pace, I started 4 1/2 years ago, 1.5PAD for 25years, started off on a 36mg and now at about a 7.5 to 9mg on a MTL tank, though I am in no hurry to drop nic all together, stuck at a 18mg for 1 1/2 years, 12mg the same, my body lately been telling me step down again, I'm not big on throat hit so...
Trial and error on mixing liquids together, there is nothing stopping you from doing so, one of the bright aspects of vaping is the experimenting. Just remember mixing different nic levels together can weaken the stronger nic level, example mixing 2 30mil bottles together 1 to 1 into a 60mil bottle, one a 12mg the other an 18mg, 18+12=30/2=15mg ending, you could also try your hand at DIY liquid making your own flavors.

#2 though, *shakes head* whoever said that to you I'd call them an idiot straight to their face, the tank is a MTL, the battery/mod is a Variable Wattage device, yes some of these devices can be quite efficient delivering nic, but, the dizziness is a sign of nic overdose, first stage of it, however if you are regularly getting just a head buzz the first couple moments from vaping, example just waking up, I used to get those smoking a cig first thing in the morning, its when you get nausea and heat flashes you need to worry where you are at a major nic overdose. If you are chain vaping constantly and getting head buzzes and dizziness all day, drop your nic level down a level, example if getting a buzz off 15 or 18mg, drop it to 9 to 12mg for you chain vaping, if at work and on a smoke break to get a vape, have a higher nic level in another tank for those short break nic fits.

Roadmap to quitting, stay at a higher nic level until you have fully smoke detoxed, generally about a week to month, step it down to the next level for a month or two, then step down again, etc to ween off the nic though.

Reactions: DingerCPA

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
So my questions are:

It's fine to start with. And go on with, if it suits you. As for what you should know to start, the only thing I can think of off-hand is coil priming - you should prime the coil whenever you install a new one. That means putting a couple drops of ejuice on the top and on each of the openings before you screw on your tank.

If you're using the 1.8 ohm coil, it's actually a fairly low delivery device. Nicotine metabolizes in hours, so if the nicotine was causing the dizziness you'd notice it within an hour or two. If you're doing well with the 16 mg/ml liquid, I'd stick with that. A lot of new vapers fail because their nicotine levels aren't high enough for them. If you go too high you'll notice - dizziness, nausea and possibly a headache. Just stop vaping for a bit if that happens and lower your nicotine.

Yes, that's fine.

Hard to say. With the BVC coils, 50/50 would be fine, but so would a lot of other things. I wouldn't try max VG because it might not wick well, although some people find it works for them.

That's up to you. My advice would be to wait to lower your nicotine until you don't crave cigarettes anymore. When you crave a vape instead of a cigarette, you're good to start dropping.

The problem with lowering it too quickly is that you might be tempted to go back to cigarettes, and that's the last thing you want. Even though you're still addicted to nicotine, vaping is much less harmful to your health than smoking - 95% less, according to the Royal College of Physicians.

The good news is that a lot of people find it easier to lower their nicotine while vaping than they found it to cut down on cigarettes.

Good luck! If you have anymore questions, or if vaping isn't doing it for you, don't hesitate to ask about it. There's a lot of experience on this forum, and we're all glad to help you ditch the stinkies.

Last edited:
Hi there, I'm sure over the course of the next few days you'll get plenty of people offering advice, but for what it's worth here's mine - first, don't beat yourself up for not achieving your goal - it's still there, you just need to approach it differently - every one of us has got here by trial and error, and for some it's easier than others - not because we're stronger willed or have more resolve. So as long as you want to vape and not smoke, then you're half way there. In regards your questions: (1) The setup is fine - the tank comes with the 1.8 ohm coil, again fine, and I'd suggest around 10-12 watts of power should give you a satisfying mouth to lung vape. The iStick should last you most of the day in normal use, but I would suggest you get a backup, just so you don't get caught out. (2) You only get out what you put in - if you're vaping on 12 mg, then you or anybody will only get 12 mg strength - the best way to align your vaping to what you're smoking is that 18 mg compares to a regular strength, 12 mg is a light. If you've experienced dizziness there could be a number of reasons for it - vaping related it could be that you're vaping more than you smoked, which can cause lightheadedness - in which case lowering your nic strength will even things out. (3) There's nothing wrong with mixing different brands/strengths, but it could get quite complicated trying to work out what's working for you, if for example you make a mix, and like it - unless you make notes and write it all down, how will you know how to make it again? Better to try a few simple flavours - a fruit/candy/mint or menthol/tobacco and see if any of them seem to work for you - once you've got that sorted out, you can try different brands of similar flavours to narrow it down. (4) I would suggest a higher PG ratio to begin with - high VG = clouds, high PG = flavour, so maybe an 80PG/20VG or 70/30 - the PG also gives you the throat hit, and some need that and stick with it. (5) Lowering your nicotine level is a goal, but it's not as important as quitting the stinkies! Once you've got yourself off them, you can choose when, or if to reduce your nic level - some stick with the same level all the way thru, others lower theirs - it's a personal thing, and once you're only vaping, you'll discover after a few months, what you prefer.

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Hi and welcome to ECF! Subohming eliquids will definitely vaporize and deliver nicotine at a faster rate, coupled to a higher nicotine eliquid, you will definitely experience that "buzz" Pretty much all the bases were covered by previous posters. I hope you can find your medium and get off those stinkies once and for all. :)

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
That's not a bad setup, I started with an istick 40 still use it and the k2.

For me, it took awhile to get use to vaping and figure out what was right for me. Don't get discouraged because figuring this stuff out gets a lot easier with time.

I would say like everyone else, you might be chain vaping or need to slow it down find your pace or you can experiment with different nic levels to even it out.

I would vape 50vg50pg for that tank IMO.

Reactions: David Wolf
..lot of good advice you've already got.

You should find your own 'sweet spot', the range of nic and watts which fits best for you. Just try and try. Same with the liquids, you'll hate some of them until you'll find YOUR favourite one.

Used 50 yrs 2-3 PAD and succeeded in quitting 50 cigs-a-day in just 1 day. Had very good luck with beginners' set consisting of 3 X istick pico mega and a wonderful taste of dark Cuba Cigars liquid 18 mg. Now down on 3 mg.

Sry for mistakes, is not mother language!

Pauline

hiax04

Feb 4, 2017
New Zealand
Thank you very much all. I read appreciate all of your replies.
So I am relieved that my setup is a good one and suitable for a beginner. I just bought a few new coils and going to commit to this, will try as much as it takes to get me off analogs and go on vaping, and later I will worry about nic levels.

This is a great forum guys, thanks for all the support. I am really impressed by all the good deeds which you all try to help each other and especially newbies. I hope I can succeed and then give back to others :)

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
So I am relieved that my setup is a good one and suitable for a beginner. I just bought a few new coils and going to commit to this, will try as much as it takes to get me off analogs and go on vaping, and later I will worry about nic levels.

This is a great forum guys, thanks for all the support. I am really impressed by all the good deeds which you all try to help each other and especially newbies. I hope I can succeed and then give back to others :)

This may have already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate - when you put in a new coil, make sure you give it time to absorb the liquid before you hit it. Also, I like to start a little low for the first few hits before I nudge to "MY" sweet-spot.

Cheers

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

You have gotten a Ton of Good Advise already. But I will add 2 Things to go along with it.

1 - Drink a Lot of Water.

2 - Get a Little More Exercise than you Normally do.

Getting Off and Staying Off cigarettes can be Tough. But you can Do It. Drinking a Lot of Water helps to Flush Out your System. And is just a Good All-Around thing to do. Especially if you use an e-Cigarette.

And Getting a little More Exercise can Help both Physically and Mentally. Going for a walk around the block after Dinner or at Lunch gets the Body in Motion. But it Also is a Time when you can Mentally Decompress. Because Quitting smoking is Stressful.

You can Make it. You just have to Want to Quit more than you Want to Smoke.

Reactions: RainSong

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi everyone,
Welcome and glad you joined. Failure can create another chance for success. Why cold turkey? Bad day, do what makes you feel right.
Giving a quick look at advice given, all look right on. As to:
4. Depends on what your after and what you are willing to sacrifice. 50/50 bridges taste and clouds nicely assuming you have not developed any adverse reactions to PG or VG.
5. Don't sweat this, I took over a year to eliminate nic and not 100% sure I needed to do this. The absence of nic physiologically may pose a problem. Lacking quantitative awareness and the capacity for finite sensory perception as to absence, nic may have given me a small amount of boost/pep/euphoric feeling? From cost and adulterating the taste of my juice, quitting nic was a good idea.

hiax04

Feb 4, 2017
New Zealand
Nice comment guys, thanks for all the info and the encouragements; it's a library here!

One more question; I know there are some threads discussing the issue, but I would like to hear your opinions with regards to the specific setup I am using.

Most of the time, my vapor keeps dropping liquid to my mouth; not leaking from the bottom, but small drops thrown out from the mouth piece. It doesn't stop after a while and keeps leaking all day long; even on a new coil.

What are the possible causes of this? I would appreciate hearing your experiences on this.

Warmest Regards :)

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Nice comment guys, thanks for all the info and the encouragements; it's a library here!

One more question; I know there are some threads discussing the issue, but I would like to hear your opinions with regards to the specific setup I am using.

Most of the time, my vapor keeps dropping liquid to my mouth; not leaking from the bottom, but small drops thrown out from the mouth piece. It doesn't stop after a while and keeps leaking all day long; even on a new coil.

What are the possible causes of this? I would appreciate hearing your experiences on this.

Warmest Regards :)

It's quite possible that you're getting some condensation in your drip tip. So, as you vape, you're pulling the unvaporized "leftovers" that are remaining. Try running a bit of tissue through the tip to clean it out every so often. Otherwise, try adjusting your power up or down a bit?

Reactions: RainSong
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread