Beginner with innokin mpv4

Status
Not open for further replies.

heel4you

Oct 16, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I am new here and I have been vaping for about 6 months. I have enjoyed reading the forums and I am here to learn as much as I can.
I would like to start making my own coils. I have a Innokin MPV4. I would like to purchase the ijoy limitless plus rdta combo to go along with it to start my journey. This seems to be pretty user friendly for a beginner in all of my research I have been doing.
I have read all I can on ohms law and I am somewhat nervous about starting out safely. I just don't really understand it.
If someone could take a moment to guide me into the proper direction for a beginner, I would be very grateful.
What should I purchase?: (brands, kits, best places to purchase etc.)
Tools
Ohms meter
Wire for coils
Cotton
What coil does a beginner need to start with?
I am not a cloud chaser. I am in it for the flavor, saving money on premade coils and to quit the cigs.
With all of this said, if someone could help me begin, I would be so grateful.
Thank you in advance and I look forward to your replies.

Reactions: Eskie

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Op, ohms aren't that scary when using the type of device that you have, a regulated mpv4. You mostly need to find the limits for how low you can go and stay above it. There are great apps for building coils and knowing the ohms to help.
    What to buy for building and where is often personal preference. I believe ecf has a sub forum to look around in. Gl

Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    Hi and welcome. I wouldn't worry much about Ohm's Law with an MPV4. This is a regulated mod and it has circuits to prevent you from doing anything unsafe. I have to ask a couple of questions to steer you in the right direction: what ohm coils and what watts do you presently vape? And do you intend to stay in this area, or are you looking to branch out? Are you a direct lung vaper, or mouth-to-lung?

Wire choice and so forth is going to be personal. I use mostly SS316 wire-- I think it "hides" the wire taste better than Kanthal or NiCr-- and rayon for wicks. I recommend these to anyone, but be aware others disagree, sometimes vehemently. What size (gauge) wire you need will be dependent on what ohm coils you want to build. I personally vape in the .5Ω and 25-30 watt range most of the time, so I find 28GA wire the most all around useful. But if you want .2Ω coils you'll want 26 or even 24ga. If you're usually above 1Ω, 32 or 34ga might suit you better.

I am several sorts of mechanic, so I had/bought my tools as I went along. Here is a decent kit with everything you need at what I consider a reasonable price. Three caveats: 1)You don't actually need a kit like this; you can get started with nothing more than a 3/16-in drill bit and a good pair of scissors. 2) Not everybody likes the coil tool that comes in this kit-- me for example; the tool I use is a simple stainless rod turned to different diameters-- but some love it. 3) I really do recommend an ohmmeter for coil builders. It's a handy check on the mod, it makes a nice building stand to boot. The 521 Tab included in this kit is one of the better available at this time, IMO. It's the one I use. It also will let you test fire your coil on the base before you install it in the tank. It takes an 18650 battery to run, and you have an MVP, so it might not be the best choice for you. Here is another kit with a different ohmmeter, not of as high quality but still functional, using a AA battery; cheaper too. That kind of meter is also available as a stand alone without the kit.

Nice choice on the Limitless RDTA. I have 5 or 6 of them. Nice little piece of gear :)

That should get you started. Please @ me or quote my post when you reply so the system will notify me to come and look at what you said. And welcome to the board.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    Guys, is there a store specifically for rebuilding supplies or one that has much of that?
    Hhhmmm... Not that I know of. Some of the fancy coil builders-- Twisted Messes leaps to mind-- have some stuff, but mostly their own work. I buy most of mine on eBay.

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    It is confusing when you are just starting out but it honestly is much easier than you are probably imagining now. You will have to figure out where you want to be in ohms for the wattage you like. A general rule of thumb is that the lower wattage you like, the higher you want the ohms of the coil. That isn't for safety, which you don't have to worry about on a regulated mod. It is for best flavor and vape experience. That isn't as hard as it sounds at first. I like the wire from Advance Vape Supply - they have a nice chart for most (not all) of the wire they sell that gives you approximate ohms for the coil size and number of wraps. That helped me a lot to order the right kind of wire to get exactly what I wanted from the coils. I have the kit that @suprtrkr linked to and like it a lot. I use the coil tool that comes with it but still find I am using my hands to get them just right. The folding scissors are crap, IMO, but everything else is great quality and I love the ohm meter. Building on an ohm meter is the best way to do it. You can buy wicking material all over the place and will have to try several to find which suits you. I haven't wicked with rayon yet but have tried Cotton Bacon, some of the others as well, and find I prefer the squares of Japanese organic cotton which can be purchased from Amazon inexpensively. I too prefer 316L wire even though I mostly vape in power/wattage mode.

Have fun!

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 26, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA
    The 521 Tab included in this kit is one of the better available at this time, IMO
    I also didn't buy a dedicated kit but picked up things along the way. I have the 521 Tab and really like it. I use it as a stable deck for installing my coil and checking for a short after the coil is installed. When I am just changing out the cotton I can fire it and clean the coil. I use SS316 for my coils. I use my mods in TC mode except for my REO Grand.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Jerry

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Guys, is there a store specifically for rebuilding supplies or one that has much of that?

Kidney Puncher, RTD Vapor, Lightning Vapes, Fasttech. There are many others, but I haven't shopped for DIY supplies in a while (other than wire--I buy from Temco). Cotton, chargers--Amazon. Rayon--Sally's.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I would like to purchase the ijoy limitless plus rdta combo

I'm not familiar with that tank, so I can't help you with any specifics, but maybe watching some YouTube reviews would help you? I have no idea if it's a good beginner tank. I like simple mouth-to lung RTAs myself built with 29 or 28 g Kanthal, 2.5 mm ID, 1-1.5Ω, @10-12 watts--like Kayfun (start with an inexpensive clone from Fasttech) or try an SXK or SJMY Doggy Style--cheap and easy to build. Again, watch videos--they are very helpful

ijoy limitless plus rdta combo - YouTube

Good luck!

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new here and I have been vaping for about 6 months. I have enjoyed reading the forums and I am here to learn as much as I can.
    I would like to start making my own coils. I have a Innokin MPV4. I would like to purchase the ijoy limitless plus rdta combo to go along with it to start my journey. This seems to be pretty user friendly for a beginner in all of my research I have been doing.
    I have read all I can on ohms law and I am somewhat nervous about starting out safely. I just don't really understand it.
    If someone could take a moment to guide me into the proper direction for a beginner, I would be very grateful.
    What should I purchase?: (brands, kits, best places to purchase etc.)
    Tools
    Ohms meter
    Wire for coils
    Cotton
    What coil does a beginner need to start with?
    I am not a cloud chaser. I am in it for the flavor, saving money on premade coils and to quit the cigs.
    With all of this said, if someone could help me begin, I would be so grateful.
    Thank you in advance and I look forward to your replies.
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    A little more information would be helpful in guiding you to a custom setup. Knowing if you are a DL or MTL vaper is fundamental with regards to recommendations. Could pay particular attention to this article:
    Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
    Might like to read:
    http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
    http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
    http://guidetovaping.com/category/e-cig-beginner/
    http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
    (10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
    (1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum
    To start out, you need a battery, atomizer and e-liquid. It's all about the type of atomizer when starting.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @heel4you - Lots of great info. above to get you going!

I put off learning to build coils as long as I could. I decided to finally learn how mainly because I wanted to buy the parts to make the little Kayfun Lite Plus "shorty" tanks many people on here were making and loving! I bought a couple 30' rolls of Kanthal A1 wire in 28ga and 30ga, some Koh Gen Do cotton pads and some organic cotton balls to see which I liked better use for wicking, a couple Kuro coil building tools, and an ohm meter. Already had some tiny needle-nose pliers and wire cutters from my jewelry making hobby.

I worked with those materials long enough to know that I actually could make my own coils, install and wick them on the KFL+ deck, and get a great vape from them. (I also wanted to make sure I could do all that now, since I don't want to depend on using only tanks that take factory made, drop-in coils in the coming years.)

Then...I discovered many people on here were doing something else, as far as coils they needed, too! They were buying them from places that sell already pre-coiled Kanthal A1 coils, SS coils, and others, all available in a wide variety of ohms...including the 1.5ohms and 1.8ohms that I like to use. All I had to do was install them on the deck and wick them! :facepalm:

A pack of 100 from FastTech was only $4.56, so I loaded up on what will be about a 10 year supply for me! I also decided to try rayon for wick material, and I found that I love it much better than any of the cotton.

So, another option would be to try some of the pre-coiled coils first, to sort of get your feet wet so to speak. Many places in the US sell them, too, though the price at FastTech is definitely lower. Learn how to install and wick them first, then get the necessary wire to make your own from scratch....or just keep buying the pre-wound ones. :thumbs:

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Lots of good advice here for you. Most of my stuff I just bought on Amazon with the free 2 day shipping. Those kits are nice but not the only way to do it. As already mentioned, you can build with just a drill bit you know the diameter of and some nail clippers to trim the wire.

A little more upscale and complete will include things like bent tweezers (very useful for working with your wick), a real flush wire cutter, a pair of good scissors that are only used for wick material, and some wire, SS being my preference as I mostly vape in temp control, but they work fine in wattage as well.

Little bits and pieces to make life easier are a set of ceramic tweezers which make working on the actual coil easier as you won't accidentally shock yourself, some sort of coil jig, and a 521 tab for building and burning the coil in on, as well as wicking. It's far more stable on the counter than balancing on top of your MVP 4. The full size version I bought as a standalone (not the one in the kit) was the best $25 I spent on build stuff.

Amazon is also great for cotton as well, with excellent pricing on both Muji and Do ken Doh (something like that) cotton pads.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    The kits are nice to have but not essential. I have a coilbuilders kit and found it very useful, I've used the majority of the tools in there. I like having an ohms reader as a stable base to build on, and getting coil and cotton/rayon is pretty easy, a lot of vape shops or amazon or whatnot sell various types of wire.

Using steam-engine.org can be helpful for some as well, to target resistance. If you are going to use the coil on the regulated mod, though, you can check your resistance and anneal your wire that way. It's just a less stable base for building on IMO. Either minimalist or maximalist will work, however.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    Hi and welcome. I wouldn't worry much about Ohm's Law with an MPV4. This is a regulated mod and it has circuits to prevent you from doing anything unsafe. I have to ask a couple of questions to steer you in the right direction: what ohm coils and what watts do you presently vape? And do you intend to stay in this area, or are you looking to branch out? Are you a direct lung vaper, or mouth-to-lung?

Wire choice and so forth is going to be personal. I use mostly SS316 wire-- I think it "hides" the wire taste better than Kanthal or NiCr-- and rayon for wicks. I recommend these to anyone, but be aware others disagree, sometimes vehemently. What size (gauge) wire you need will be dependent on what ohm coils you want to build. I personally vape in the .5Ω and 25-30 watt range most of the time, so I find 28GA wire the most all around useful. But if you want .2Ω coils you'll want 26 or even 24ga. If you're usually above 1Ω, 32 or 34ga might suit you better.

I am several sorts of mechanic, so I had/bought my tools as I went along. Here is a decent kit with everything you need at what I consider a reasonable price. Three caveats: 1)You don't actually need a kit like this; you can get started with nothing more than a 3/16-in drill bit and a good pair of scissors. 2) Not everybody likes the coil tool that comes in this kit-- me for example; the tool I use is a simple stainless rod turned to different diameters-- but some love it. 3) I really do recommend an ohmmeter for coil builders. It's a handy check on the mod, it makes a nice building stand to boot. The 521 Tab included in this kit is one of the better available at this time, IMO. It's the one I use. It also will let you test fire your coil on the base before you install it in the tank. It takes an 18650 battery to run, and you have an MVP, so it might not be the best choice for you. Here is another kit with a different ohmmeter, not of as high quality but still functional, using a AA battery; cheaper too. That kind of meter is also available as a stand alone without the kit.

Nice choice on the Limitless RDTA. I have 5 or 6 of them. Nice little piece of gear :)

That should get you started. Please @ me or quote my post when you reply so the system will notify me to come and look at what you said. And welcome to the board.

I bought that first kit, a box of several types of wire, a few packs of premade coils, and some Native Wicks platinum blend cotton from My Vapor Store online. It all came to about $60 including shipping. Pretty much set for months and months while I learn how to fiddle around with coils. I really do like that Coilmaster kit.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread