Status
Not open for further replies.

lynleestar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
NW Indiana
well I'm confused as to what would be best for me to use. I've been smoking for 22 years. vaping since September. Still smoking nearly a pack a day and someone referred me to come visit the smokeless tobacco area and give snus a try (thinking it is something other than nicotene I've been craving). Reading this OP it just seems very technical and over my head~!

Lynlee

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
First thing is go to page 2 of this thread and watch the quit smoking with snus series. There are four parts and that should give you a good general idea of snus and how to use it. If you're smoking a pack a day I wouldn't even mess with the mini portion type snus. Go for the standard 8mg portions to get started. Though you may need something a bit stronger on occasion the 8mg portions will get you started and from there you can decide if you need anything stronger.

Don't know where you live but this is the General snus locater for the US

Log On

If one is in your area you may be able to get some Swedish snus locally. If not it can be ordered online

Northerner. Buy Swedish Snus & Snuff Online. The Healthy Smokeless Tobacco Alternative

Buy Snus, Order Swedish snus online world wide - BuySnus.com

The question, that only you can answer, is what flavors. Don't know if you like straight tobacco flavor, but if you do you may want to check out something like Lab 01, Ettan or Roda Lacket. Those are good somewhat mild snus that most beginners can get along with. General Wintergreen and General white Mint are good flavored snus that many beginners like.

No doubt others will join in with suggestions.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
THANKS Stubby!!!! I went through the log on proccess that you posted and found a local dealer for General and found one real close....went there and bought 4 kinds....too bad that most of them were expired...(11-11-10)...I still bought them....hope they will be good.

They should be fine. Were they in a refrigerator? Mine all expired a lwhile ago and they are still good.

skye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Texas
Hi everyone,

I've never chewed, or dipped, tobacco, and I only vape now. But, a few of my cousins do chew/dip (i don't know the difference). Which explains my ignorance with snus.
Question is, has there been any evidence that snus may cause oral cancer? I would like to know before I suggest snus to my cousins. Thanks to all for a great thread, and info.
Skye

Guttermouth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Tn
www.guttermouthelectronics.com
Hi everyone,

I've never chewed, or dipped, tobacco, and I only vape now. But, a few of my cousins do chew/dip (i don't know the difference). Which explains my ignorance with snus.
Question is, has there been any evidence that snus may cause oral cancer? I would like to know before I suggest snus to my cousins. Thanks to all for a great thread, and info.
Skye

From most of the studies i've read, the only type of cancer risk that is elevated from snus useage is pancreatic .The general idea is that snus has a very low amount of nitrosamines due to the way it is manufactured and Most american tobaccos are fermented which multiplies the amount of nitrosamines in the tobacco.Nitrosamines are the main suspected cancer causing agents in tobacco so most snus manufacturers do things to minimize them in any way they can.
If your cousins are using dip or chew now,they would need to look into a sterk or extra strong snus to be able to have a comparable nicotine level to what they are currently using and thusly having any hope of switching.Thunder or general ekstra sterk would be good choices to try for them.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA

TWalker

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
NM
My biggest struggle with figuring out what to order is finding out how many portions are in what I am ordering. How do I know how much I'm paying per portion if that info is not provided? I have looked at all the popular sites here and on some you can enlarge the picture of the can and see a number but why don't they publish that info? Or am I missing it?

For example: A Camel snus can has 15 ( I believe)

Cigarette packs contain 20 cigs in each: no brainer I know how many I'm getting every time. 90% of snus I'm looking at are marked in grams and I definitely wouldn't want to buy my cigs by weight when they come in so many different strengths.

I think I'm just about to order this trial pack because at least I know it carries 16 portions clearly stated on the site:

General, Snus Trial Packs, Snus

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Standard Portion cans of Swedish snus have 24 portions per can. That's 1 gram per portion. The minis are a bit different (don't ask me why as I don't know). They have 20 portions per can at usually 1/2 gram per portion. There are a few exceptions to that. I believe some of the new Jakobsson's one gram portion snus are only 20 portions per can.

The US made snus as in Camel, Marlboro, and Skoal are all 15 portions per can. I think that's right for the US snus but I haven't bought any for so long I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:

TWalker

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
NM
Standard Portion cans of Swedish snus have 24 portions per can. That's 1 gram per portion. The minis are a bit different (don't ask me why as I don't know). They have 20 portions per can at usually 1/2 gram per portion. There are a few exceptions to that. I believe some of the new Jakobsson's one gram portion snus are only 20 portions per can.

The US made snus as in Camel, Marlboro, and Skoal are all 15 grams per can. I think that's right for the US snus but I haven't bought any for so long I'm not 100% sure.

Oh great thanks alot. Don't want to water down a good informational thread but I really wanted that cleared up.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I can only get general at some tobacco shops in my area, but I ordered some purified northerner from swedish-snus.com. purified doesn't increase spit production like regular snus does it? when I swallow General, I get this really uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, like when you swallow your mucus kind of feeling. I shouldn't get that with purified, right? also, it says "adult signature required" on the tracking info, and on UPS's site it says you gotta be 21 when the adult signature is required, but one of the reference numbers says "Verify age 19 or older", does that over-ride the 21 or older requirement and lower it to 19? the UPS guy at my local store says it does, but I want to be sure of this from somebody with experience from them. I'm 20.

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
I'm no Snus expert, seeing as how I've been using it only a few weeks. But the further back you put it, the more saliva and swallowing you get. I'm using General and don't need to swallow much at all. But once, I put it back near my molars and got kind of nauseated at all of it I swallowed. I moved it more to the front and it stopped.

Guttermouth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Tn
www.guttermouthelectronics.com
i didn't notice any difference in saliva production between purified and normal snus. where are you keeping it in your mouth?
on the ups thing - due to pact, you have to be 21 when ups hands it over to you.they will ask for an id - my ups guy has to check me everytime even though he's been delivering to me for years.
I inquired about signing something so he could just leave my deliveries on the doorstep and he said that by law he has to hand it to me and i have to sign for it every time.Maybe you'll get lucky since you have the ups store as a buffer.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
i didn't notice any difference in saliva production between purified and normal snus. where are you keeping it in your mouth?
on the ups thing - due to pact, you have to be 21 when ups hands it over to you.they will ask for an id - my ups guy has to check me everytime even though he's been delivering to me for years.
I inquired about signing something so he could just leave my deliveries on the doorstep and he said that by law he has to hand it to me and i have to sign for it every time.Maybe you'll get lucky since you have the ups store as a buffer.

so why does it say on the reference numbers "verify age 19 or older"? actually I just looked at the PACT act's PDF and it says that the regulation for 21 and older only applies to USPS, otherwise from what I gathered it said that "no delivery service shall give a tobacco product to anybody under the legal age to use tobacco products in that particular place"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread