Beginning coil build(er)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
So it turns out the laws in Indiana have changed, and we can order vape gear online, except for pre-made juice. So I'm getting ready to order items needed for both rebuilding coils and DIY juice.

I plan on using the RBA deck on one of my TFV8's to start with. Besides an ohm meter and tools, I know I'll need cotton and wire. I'm planning on getting Kanthal to start with. So, here's a few questions:

1. Are there any good tutorials for beginners, especially for the TFV8 RBA, on how to build a simple, dual sub-ohm coil?

2. Where are the best places online to buy the things I'll need?

I also started a thread on where to get nicotine if anyone has a favorite site.

Thanks for any info.

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
If you can find a tutorial video for building coils on a velocity style deck, that should help.

As for materials, I made a one time Amazon purchase and got 6 100' spools of kanthal in various gauges, a coil master kit with ohms reader and 20 packs of JOCC (5 pads/pack). Can't remember the cost but it wasn't very much. Some others use Temco for wire.

Also ended up buying 10 packs of Cotton Bacon V2 from eBay for like $2 a pack I think.

I wanna say I spend about $50 total for coil building supplies and I'm set for a few years before I'll need to buy more.

Reactions: dyanaprajna

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
So it turns out the laws in Indiana have changed, and we can order vape gear online, except for pre-made juice. So I'm getting ready to order items needed for both rebuilding coils and DIY juice.

I plan on using the RBA deck on one of my TFV8's to start with. Besides an ohm meter and tools, I know I'll need cotton and wire. I'm planning on getting Kanthal to start with. So, here's a few questions:

1. Are there any good tutorials for beginners, especially for the TFV8 RBA, on how to build a simple, dual sub-ohm coil?

Thanks for any info.
I would recommend Stainless Steel wire over Kanthal.

Can be used in either Temperature Control or power mode.

Gives a cleaner flavor than Kanthal.

Reactions: Izan

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
Ok, I made an order with Fasttech. Got a starter tool kit, with various tools, ohm meter, etc, a roll of 24 gauge Kanthal, and a bunch of organic cotton. Now, for a question. Since I'm building on the TFV8 RBA, I'm wanting sub-ohm resistance. Hence, the 24g (I know it's going to be difficult to work with at first). So, how many wraps and at what diameter will I need to make the coils for a resistance around .3 ohms? I've googled it, and got everything from 3 wraps to 8, at diameters from 1 to 3 mm. So I'm a little confused on where to start with that.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Play with "Steam Engine" to see how changes in diameter, wraps, and wire will change your build.
With 24g, targeting 0.3 ohms from a dual coil, 7-wraps and 2.5mm would probably be a good starting point.

When you plug that in, you can then, over on the right, dial in what wattage you'll be vaping at, and see a "heat index" - that will let you adjust your NEXT build to reach a build that's warmer or cooler, or heats up faster, etc...to find out what you like.

BUT - while I love Fasttech, I'd suggest next time getting wire from a US wire vendor.
There is a difference in purity and in how clean wire is and people who build a lot have distinct recommendations on vendors. Certainly, TEMCO is a good source, reasonably priced, available direct or on Amazon.
Wire is CHEAP, so don't try to save money there!!

upload_2017-3-19_11-37-47.png

Ok, I made an order with Fasttech. Got a starter tool kit, with various tools, ohm meter, etc, a roll of 24 gauge Kanthal, and a bunch of organic cotton. Now, for a question. Since I'm building on the TFV8 RBA, I'm wanting sub-ohm resistance. Hence, the 24g (I know it's going to be difficult to work with at first). So, how many wraps and at what diameter will I need to make the coils for a resistance around .3 ohms? I've googled it, and got everything from 3 wraps to 8, at diameters from 1 to 3 mm. So I'm a little confused on where to start with that.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

Thanks for any info.
Government might interfere with, atomizers, mods, and nicotine. Everything else is generic, even available from walk in retail if you know where to shop. Then there's patience. Learning this stuff takes time and it's not easy to accelerate because you need to confirm what you've built or mixed by using it and you can only take so many puffs in a day.

I started using a new source today. I ordered a single 100' roll of 30 guage stainless from temco. The price was $4 and change including shipping. That price is competitive with anybody. What I like about buying from them is they specialize in wire for all sorts of uses. They know know their product and they know vapers are buying from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread