Bench Retest Results: AWT Black 50A 3000mAh 18650...obscenely overrated, do not buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it only says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

Cell photos: https://imgur . com/a/lO5IM
    (Sorry for the split link but direct links to Imgur do not display properly)

Bottom Line
    This “50A” cell is so overrated I am at a loss for words. It is a Sony VTC6 rewrap, performing and appearing identically to that cell. I rated the VTC6 at 15A.

AWT has three 3000mAh rewraps, with the true ratings ranging from 15A-20A. AWT rated them though at 35A, 40A, and 50A. I am appalled at the extent of the rating exaggeration that AWT is using to entice us to buy their batteries.

I feel strongly that each of us is free to buy whichever batteries we want but I urge you to consider whether or not you want to support a company like this.

I am rating this AWT at 15A and 3000mAh.

The two cells that were tested were purchased for that purpose by me.

Comparison to Sony VTC6 Test Results
    AWT Black 50A 3000mAh 18650 CC Tests.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    Pulse testing was not done due to it being a VTC6 rewrap.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Im a New User. Mooch would you use the XXX 20a 3000mah over the lg hg2's? I currently have both and thought about switching to the LG name brand, but according to you guys if the xxx is a rewrapped slightly better performing Q30 than should I just stick with that in a regulated mod?

XXX is a rewrapped battery that can change at any time. Any difference in performance is tiny and not worth the higher price of the XXX and the fact it might not even be an HG2 rewrap anymore. Or it could be a lower grade.

It's not worth it, get the HG2's.

Or better yet, the better performing Samsung 30Q's.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread