Bench Retest Results: AWT Red 40A 3000mAh 18650...enough is enough, just don’t buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it only says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

Cell photos: https://imgur . com/a/IORrk
    (Sorry for the split link but direct links to Imgur do not display properly)

Bottom Line
    This “40A” cell is the exact same one as AWT’s “35A” 3000mAh, a rewrapped Samsung 30Q.

I am rating this AWT at 15A and 3000mAh.

The two cells that were tested were purchased for that purpose by me.

Comparison to Samsung 30Q Test Results
    AWT Red 40A 3000mAh 18650 CC RETEST.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    Pulse testing was not done due to it being a 30Q rewrap.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Classic! The labels on these products are the consecuences of the foolish and philistine crowds being served by unscrupulous companies. Very much like this:

HTB1W._4KXXXXXaMXVXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg

OMFG! MOAR is better! :p

Mooch, maybe it would be a good idea to put a special badge on review titles of misleading products. For example:
    FAKE - AWT Red 40A 3000mAh 18650…

Of course, this means A LOT of still nice products would get ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the badge, but hey, this is about educating the marketing label/wrap designers, don't you believe? LoL! :D

P.S.: high capacity 16340s seldom go above 700mAh yet.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Classic! The labels on these products are the consecuences of the foolish and philistine crowds being served by unscrupulous companies. Very much like this:

HTB1W._4KXXXXXaMXVXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg

OM*G! MOAR is better! :p

Mooch, maybe it would be a good idea to put a special badge on review titles of misleading products. For example:
    FAKE - AWT Red 40A 3000mAh 18650…

Of course, this means A LOT of still nice products would get ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the badge, but hey, this is about educating the marketing label/wrap designers, don't you believe? LoL! :D

P.S.: high capacity 16340s seldom go above 700mAh yet.

I had considered that but then, essentially, every non-Samsung/Sony/LG/Panasonic/Sanyo battery would be tagged. :)

I couldn't use "Fake" as they are genuine Chinese rewraps done by that particular company. They don't claim to be a Samsung, etc. I am starting to use "do not buy" in the title for the worst offenders though. A small step towards separating some of the worst out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread