Bench Retest Results: AWT Red-Black 50A 2600mAh 18650...preposterously overrated, now lower grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it only says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

Cell photos: https://imgur . com/a/9NoIT
    (Sorry for the split link but direct links to Imgur do not display properly)

Bottom Line
    This cell has “50A” on the wrap, an insane overrating.

This was a retest. The previous testing was done in October, 2016 and this cell was found to be an overrated rewrap that was identical in performance and appearance to the Sony VTC5. It is still a VTC5 rewrap but the performance of the two AWT’s I tested was a bit worse this time. They appear to be lower grade cells.

I am rating this AWT cell at 20A and 2600mAh.

With all the other cells that are available to us, without this degree of overrating and without being lower grade cells, this one is a terrible choice and earns a Do Not buy recommendation from me.

The two cells that were tested were purchased for that purpose by me.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    AWT Red-Black 50A 2600mAh 18650 CC RETEST.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    Pulse testing was not done due to it being a VTC5 rewrap.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    Thank you again Mooch for taking the time and money to keep us safer.[emoji106]
    These companies need to quit with the 50A rating, seems they are targeting those who buy a mod that says "will run 50A". More like "guarantee visit to hospital".

Sent from the future

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    Thank you again Mooch for taking the time and money to keep us safer.[emoji106]
    These companies need to quit with the 50A rating, seems they are targeting those who buy a mod that says "will run 50A". More like "guarantee visit to hospital".

Sent from the future
    I concur! Thanks Mooch!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread